The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2014, 06:32 AM   #1
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Leaf T-I-G CVIII: Wolves of the Galadhrim (Game Thread)

"So this is a flet," said the Lady Galadriel, gazing out over the sea of mallorn leaves, glinting silver in the light of Ithil. "I do not wonder, now, that you have chosen so strange a dwelling, Lord Amroth, for what other would give so fine a view of your beautiful land? -Or," she added in an undertone, with a glance at Amroth's female attendant, "so good a refuge in times of need?"

"Indeed," said the ruler of Lorien, with a sharp look at his guest, "though I hope and trust such a time will never come."

The Lady Galadriel's face was unreadable. "Truly, you and I have much to discuss." Again she glanced at the Elf-maiden.

Amroth caught the look. "Nerwen," he addressed the attendant, "wine for the lady. She has journeyed far."

The maiden slipped down the ladder with the airy agility of the Silvan folk, a little startling to even an Elf of other race.

"Nerwen?" Galadriel raised an eyebrow.

Amroth smiled. "There are those of us who take an interest in the lore of your people, Lady Galadriel- and in the tales of your youth. You must not think all the Galadhrim are as... well, as my lady Nimrodel."

There was perhaps a trace of wryness in Galadriel's answering smile. "Ah, yes, Nimrodel. She blames the High Elves, does she not, for all the troubles of the hither lands?"

"I have tried to teach her otherwise," said Amroth with a sigh, "but she will have none of it. Lately, too, she has sworn that she will not wed me save I bring her to a land of peace- if any such remain in Middle-earth. -But there! My troubles are a tale for another time. What of your- travels, Lady Galadriel?"

"Alas, I bring you no good news. As we feared, there is some evil power behind the darkening of Greenwood the great, which is fast becoming as foul a place as Taur-nu-Fuin in Dorthonion of old- indeed some now call it by the same name- though Men, I have heard, call it simply, "Mirkwood". Celeborn and I believe it may be one of the Nazgûl."

Amroth gasped. "Surely not!"

"There is worse," the Lady continued. "Whatever this power is, it bears great malice to all the Elves, yes, even to the Silvan folk of Lorien. It has its spies here- have a care whom you trust, Amroth."

"I cannot believe any of my people would sell themselves..!"

"Well, let us hope not. But it is not of treachery that I speak, but of sorcery- of shapeshifting. There are creatures walking among the Galadhrim- in your very household- who wear the faces of Elves but in truth are servants of darkness."

Amroth was silent for a time, gazing out over the tree-city with its many lights. Always before those lights had brought him serenity. Now, for the first time, they made him think of watchful eyes.

"It is my duty to protect this realm," he said, finally. "To protect she whom I love. But I fear it will prove in vain."

"Do not despair," said Galadriel quietly. "I will aid you."

~~~~~~

It is now Night One. Roles have been sent out. If you didn't get one, you're an ordo. Lovers and wolves may pm.

Last edited by Nerwen; 12-11-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #2
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Leaf

"That wine is rather a long time in coming," Galadriel remarked.

"No doubt the maiden has taken shelter from the rain," Amroth answered.

For some minutes now the two Elves had been half-aware of the familiar pitter-patter of moisture falling on leaves. Yet as she listened more attentively, Galadriel's eyes narrowed. Stepping beyond the sheltering roof, she held out her hand. It remained dry.

"There is no rain."

When they found the Elf-maiden Nerwen she was lying across a bough, face downwards, the blood from her torn throat dripping onto the mallorn leaves.

~~~~~~

The Living
Sally
McCaber
Tar-Jêx
Lottie
Farael
Rikae
Shasta
Coppermirror
Boro
Kitanna
Aganzir

The Dead
Nerwen, throat torn out Night One. (Mod).

It is now Day One. You may post.

Last edited by Nerwen; 12-14-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nerwen? Dead?! What sort of fiend would do such a thing? And in such a gruesome manner!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Such a dark and dreadful deed, in our own Lorien...

We must all speak up. Allow me to introduce myself in song.

I am but a student of the harp
Seeking knowledge of the musical arts.
I travel for my inspiration,
Through forests far and distant stations.

Yet of wonders beheld, none can supplant,
The glorious, transcendent beauty of ants.
Small yet strong, and of slender waist
By their presence we are graced.

The kin of wolves are lovely not;
Such creatures matter not a jot.
Those with ugly teeth and shaggy tails,
Must by all means ne'er here prevail.

We'll find them, catch them, cast them out.
They'll know their loss without a doubt.
And I shall return to my lyrical muse,
The Lorien ant of which scholars enthuse.

Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tar-Jêx has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

It brings us all, I hope, great sorrow to hear the death of our friend, the maiden, Nerwen.

Whoever has commit this crime shall pay a heavy tax. We shall all seek to find this beast, and those who don't shall be accused of villainy.
We should not acquaint ourselves too well, for if we fail to catch the perpetrator, I fear another death may occur.
Tar-Jêx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Jêx, you need to go to the User CP and the edit options page, and set your mode to invisible.

Or in other words...

♪When playing a game of werewolf one must,
Lest one's actions into the limelight be thrust,
Go forth to the mighty User CP,
Set mode to "invisible", then go and drink tea.♪

(The tea is optional.)
Old 12-12-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*storms in*

*sits back*

I am at work and am not supposed to be here. Furthermore, we had drinks with our intern who's leaving and that's even more of a reason not to be here. The bloke at our local pub made me an incredibly strong hot rum chocolate (and gave me a discount).

TERRIBLE things, TERRIBLE things! In our neighbourhood! I would never have believed it had I not seen it with mine own eyes, I always thought evil doesn't come to Lórien!

Nerwen, how many wolves do we actually have? Or is 2-3 really the way of it and if yes can I be the -3?

So far we know Coppermirror is Nimrodel because she sings too much. Cop, have I ever even played with you before? I'm ashamed to say I don't remember.

(Jêx, this is not how you play werewolf. Don't follow my lead. I am a chaotic drunk.)
Old 12-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #8
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
*storms in*

*sits back*

I am at work and am not supposed to be here. Furthermore, we had drinks with our intern who's leaving and that's even more of a reason not to be here. The bloke at our local pub made me an incredibly strong hot rum chocolate (and gave me a discount).

TERRIBLE things, TERRIBLE things! In our neighbourhood! I would never have believed it had I not seen it with mine own eyes, I always thought evil doesn't come to Lórien!

Nerwen, how many wolves do we actually have? Or is 2-3 really the way of it and if yes can I be the -3?

So far we know Coppermirror is Nimrodel because she sings too much. Cop, have I ever even played with you before? I'm ashamed to say I don't remember.

(Jêx, this is not how you play werewolf. Don't follow my lead. I am a chaotic drunk.)
Aganzir, they say that alcohol is the serum of truth. But I do not believe that you are so hammered that all logic has left your mind. Your actions are suspect, and I may (or may not) disregard all words that come off of your slurred tongue. Do not reveal anything stupid, or it could come back to bite you.

I would not suspect Coppermirror of Nimrodel immediately, as we have yet for the rest of the elves to join in with our mourning and investigation. We are all elves, after all, and many of us do love to sing songs that our forebears once taught us. Musical talent is not uncommon amongst us woodland folk. However, I shall note this behavior for later on in our week.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #9
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Cop, have I ever even played with you before? I'm ashamed to say I don't remember.
You co-moderated a game that I was a player in (Tol-in-Westeros), but from a quick skim through the old threads, it looks as if we haven't both played in the same one.

And now I must go, since it's getting on for 3AM and I fear I wouldn't make much sense even if I did stay.

♪As time ticks on and my eyes draw closed,
I must now leave to find repose.
I will return when I do wake,
To find those dreadful canine fakes.♪
Old 12-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #10
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar-Jêx View Post
Do not reveal anything stupid, or it could come back to bite you.
*licks lips* looking forward to that! I love when things come back to bite me.

Yeah actually I think Shasta is Amroth because I noticed a tension between Nerwen and Amroth in the narration (and they have this ongoing thing). Which would imply Nerdanel was involved in Nerwen's death and is - crime of passion or not - actually evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermirror View Post
You co-moderated a game that I was a player in (Tol-in-Westeros), but from a quick skim through the old threads, it looks as if we haven't both played in the same one.
Yes thought so. So I know what you're like but you don't know me. Oh the possibilities!
Old 12-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #11
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
We are all elves, after all, and many of us do love to sing songs that our forebears once taught us. Musical talent is not uncommon amongst us woodland folk.
Yeah true that.

♪She climbs a tree and scrapes her knee, her dress has got a tear♪

Really if I try to post within three hours of deadline on weekdays, you should tell me to get out and proceed to ignore everything I say. I am not getting any work done even though there's no actual discussion yet.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Blood drips onto the mallorn leaves - a dark portent indeed, and one that bodes ill for our fair forest!

Quote:
Yeah actually I think Shasta is Amroth because I noticed a tension between Nerwen and Amroth in the narration (and they have this ongoing thing). Which would imply Nerdanel was involved in Nerwen's death and is - crime of passion or not - actually evil.
Indeed! So, now all we need to do is find out who Shasta was cheating on Nerwen with, and we'll be halfway to catching the wolves!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
♪When playing a game of werewolf one must,
Lest one's actions into the limelight be thrust,
Go forth to the mighty User CP,
Set mode to "invisible", then go and drink tea.♪

(The tea is optional.)
The tea should never be optional!

It appears a lot of this game shall be left to speculation. So I'm going to wildly speculate before going back to work.

Tar-Jêx and Agan are the Lovers and their role is joint-cobblers. They are here to cause chaos and root for the wolves.

Boro and Sally are wolves. If there's a third it's probably Farael.

Cop is up to no good with all the songs. And Lottie is fabulous just because.

And I'm a lovable scamp who is going back to her day job.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #14
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Blood drips onto the mallorn leaves - a dark portent indeed, and one that bodes ill for our fair forest!

Indeed! So, now all we need to do is find out who Shasta was cheating on Nerwen with, and we'll be halfway to catching the wolves!
I would never.

(Except, possibly, in the case of Rune, but I mean, come on, who wouldn't? )

But seriously, Nerwen has been my Queen of the Sea for years, I'd never do anything to upset her! (You should see how she gets when she's angry... )
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #15
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
Tar-Jêx and Agan are the Lovers and their role is joint-cobblers. They are here to cause chaos and root for the wolves.
Blimey! I didn't think we'd get caught this quickly.

Whyyy is it quiet?

Okay whatever.

Ooh revelation! *looks at the player list* I seem to be the only European here! (Assuming Jêx is not?)

I was going to speculate about the exact nature of the lovers' relationship because I was for some reason sure Amroth had to find Nimrodel before they could communicate (like you know when you sometimes get an idea and are convinced it's true without any actual evidence whatsoever? That happens to me all the time), but seeing as they were allowed to PM on night 1, that doesn't seem to be the case. Story-wise it would make sense that Amroth decides to abandon his people if he loses Nimrodel (ie her death kills them both), but obviously it can also work the other way round, or their fates may not be tied to each other at all except as a victory condition. I wonder if Amroth is allowed to protect her?
Old 12-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #16
Kitanna
Child of the West

Quote:
Blimey! I didn't think we'd get caught this quickly.
I'm magic after all.

Quote:
I was going to speculate about the exact nature of the lovers' relationship because I was for some reason sure Amroth had to find Nimrodel before they could communicate (like you know when you sometimes get an idea and are convinced it's true without any actual evidence whatsoever? That happens to me all the time), but seeing as they were allowed to PM on night 1, that doesn't seem to be the case. Story-wise it would make sense that Amroth decides to abandon his people if he loses Nimrodel (ie her death kills them both), but obviously it can also work the other way round, or their fates may not be tied to each other at all except as a victory condition. I wonder if Amroth is allowed to protect her?
I feel like there's going to be more to it than that, why else would our moddess want it to be a secret? As to what could be involved? No idea. Maybe Nimrodel chooses who Amroth protects and he cannot protect her, but she can have him protect himself. Maybe the 2-3 wolves thing is a hint. If Nimrodel dies Amroth goes to the dark side or vice versa?
Old 12-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #17
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tolkien

Quote:
The tea should never be optional!

It appears a lot of this game shall be left to speculation. So I'm going to wildly speculate before going back to work.

Boro and Sally are wolves. If there's a third it's probably Farael.

Cop is up to no good with all the songs. And Lottie is fabulous just because.

And I'm a lovable scamp who is going back to her day job.
Your hastiness to jump to conclusions when nobody else has directly accused another implies that you want to get things moving. However, accusations so early are a bad habit to get into. If you have guessed correctly, a target will appear upon your head.

Myself and Aganzir both lovers and cobblers? Don't be ridiculous. Do not forget that Amroth is also a ranger in addition to a lover, and three roles for one person would seem very exclusive. Unfortunately, I was not gifted with anything exciting for my first game of werewolf, and rightfully so. Aganzir, on the other hand, could be anything at this point.

I speculate that Shasta is not a lover, but a werewolf. Seeing as we don't have large numbers, two werewolves would make more sense, so in that, I guess Loslote as the second wolf. I have no evidence for either of these people, except my intuition. If there is a third, it will be someone who has yet to introduce themselves.

Coppermirror does no mischief with those melodious tunes. Suspecting one who has provided us with art is counter-intuitive.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #18
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
I feel like there's going to be more to it than that, why else would our moddess want it to be a secret? As to what could be involved? No idea. Maybe Nimrodel chooses who Amroth protects and he cannot protect her, but she can have him protect himself. Maybe the 2-3 wolves thing is a hint. If Nimrodel dies Amroth goes to the dark side or vice versa?
Could be more than that, or could be it's a secret just because it's fun to keep the village in the dark. Story-wise, I don't think it would make sense for Amroth or Nimrodel to go to the dark side, but in love and werewolf everything is possible.

I took the 2-3 wolves thing as an unconfirmed number. If there was one player less I'd be pretty sure we only had 2 wolves, and if one more I'd be inclined to say there were 3, but 11 could swing both ways. If there's just two wolves there might be a cobbler to balance things out though, so I suppose it might also be a hint, although I'd still wait for Nerwen's confirmation first.

Quote:
Your hastiness to jump to conclusions when nobody else has directly accused another implies that you want to get things moving. However, accusations so early are a bad habit to get into. If you have guessed correctly, a target will appear upon your head.
Actually I think accusations this early are the best possible habit to get into. There's little enough to talk about on day 1 as it is, so might as well throw sticks and see which dogs bark. That, or talk about the roles, or about how awful day 1s are. Or be a bore and let others do your talking for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jêx
Aganzir, on the other hand, could be anything at this point.
I could.

Righty it's my bedtime! Kitanna looks okay. I'm willing to give Jêx the newbie pass and Farael the long time no see pass for today.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #19
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
...yeah, alright, actually, I'd believe that! Or, well, not exactly cobbler-Lovers, since it would not make sense for a pair of Lovers to act like normal cobblers - since a normal cobbler tries to attract attention and wants to be lynched, whereas the Lovers want nothing less - but I'd believe that we might have a cobbler, and if so, these two (maybe Tar-Jêx more than Agan, because while Tar is a newbie with an unknown playing style, Agan honestly hasn't seemed that much different than normal) might be it. That being said, it's a pretty far stretch, and I wouldn't be voting based on that even if I were to want to vote for a cobbler.

Otherwise, Kit's looked pretty good so far, and I'd like to keep Cop around if only in the hope of enjoying more lovely music. I feel like there are a lot of people who haven't posted at all yet, and I'm not liking the possibility of having to vote when almost half the village has yet to make an appearance.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:29 PM   #20
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Checking in. At first read there really isn't much I've gleaned from the discussion. I'll give a second look and see if anyone leaps out at me.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #21
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
It brings us all, I hope, great sorrow to hear the death of our friend, the maiden, Nerwen.~Tar-Jex
I don't trust anyone who regarded Nerwen as a friend. There's something not right with that sorceress in the woods...getting inside your head and all too!
Old 12-12-2014, 11:42 PM   #22
Kitanna
Child of the West

Quote:
...yeah, alright, actually, I'd believe that! Or, well, not exactly cobbler-Lovers, since it would not make sense for a pair of Lovers to act like normal cobblers - since a normal cobbler tries to attract attention and wants to be lynched, whereas the Lovers want nothing less -
It's werewolf. Anything could happen. Maybe the ranger protects lynches rather than Night kills! (I don't actually think that, just more wild speculation for the fun of it.)

I'm all for wild speculation today, but on a serious note: It was a long day. I just came home from a holiday office party which means it's bedtime and there's a 95% chance I'll sleep through the DL.

At this time no one has actually said anything to raise my suspicions, but I don't think there's been a game where I haven't voted on even the weakest of suspicions so I will vote.

Usually I'd vote for Sally because it's a long standing tradition to suspect her, but she hasn't spoken so of those that have I randomly vote for

++Tar-Jêx

I made a list of those who spoke, closed my eyes, and pointed. This has nothing to do with my wild speculation from earlier, but really was just a random pick. I hate not to vote.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:27 AM   #23
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
I made a list of those who spoke, closed my eyes, and pointed. This has nothing to do with my wild speculation from earlier, but really was just a random pick. I hate not to vote.
I'll probably have to do something similar if nothing happens in the next half hour or so, unfortunately, though I'd probably pick from among the people who I haven't a) gotten a good feeling off of and b) played with before - so between everyone except Kit, Cop, Agan, Tar, or Farael. I mean, I guess that excludes a little over half the village, so there's that, at least!
Old 12-13-2014, 12:39 AM   #24
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tolkien

I can respect Kitanna's decision and obligation to vote, however, I strongly disapprove of the choice. I feel that not voting at this point would be dangerous for my own safety, and so out of self defense, I must return the favor.

I am yet undecided as who to choose, as none of you seem to be wolves. I shall do the same as Lostlote and wait a bit before making a decision.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:46 AM   #25
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
I shall do the same as Lostlote and wait a bit before making a decision.
Lostlote indeed! Fumbling around in the dark, trying to light upon some sliver of suspicion...I've missed this game.

The only thing I've got, really, is a bit of confusion (in all honestly, probably based more on the fact that it's almost two in the morning and I've been yawning since eight) about this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I don't trust anyone who regarded Nerwen as a friend. There's something not right with that sorceress in the woods...getting inside your head and all too!
I'm not sure what Boro is saying, and at two in the morning on Day 1, I guess that'll have to be as good as anything.

++Boro
Old 12-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #26
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tolkien

Quote:
Lostlote indeed! Fumbling around in the dark, trying to light upon some sliver of suspicion...I've missed this game.
That was most certainly intentional, and my way of saying that you have no idea what you are doing. To be fair, none of us, save the wolves, have any clue. In fact, we should be the most suspicious of those who seem to know what they are doing. At this point, we are basically chatting about what we've been up to. Don't bother hopping on the anti-Jêx bandwagon, as there is no evidence except for my outrageous ego. You must also think to yourself, 'Why would a wolf make themselves noticed on Day 1?'

Kitanna has awful reasons for voting, but she isn't accusing for a particular reason like Boro was. I still have yet to be convinced of any one person who we should lynch. This is not to say I trust any of you, I just don't have any proof of werewolfdom.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:10 AM   #27
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

♪ Courage, elves, for bright daylight
Is with us to cast out the blight ♪

People who have shown up so far: Kitanna, me, Tar-Jêx, Aganzir, Loslote, Shasta, McCaber, Boro. (8)
We have yet to hear from: Farael, Sally, Rikae. (3)

That's better than I expected given that we're still on the first page.

Game rules and roles

Some of the roles in this game seem to be characterised by deliberate ambiguity, which adds a little more interest to it.

(1) Are there two wolves or three wolves? Our fair village consists only of eleven at present. A game of twelve would usually have three wolves and three gifted. However, the third gifted in this game is not a Hunter but a Lover. I find it reasonably plausible that there could be either two wolves or three in such a context. Oh well, that line of enquiry hasn't led me to a useful conclusion yet. Continuing on.

(2) What's up with the Lovers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
The exact nature of the Lovers' relationship is a secret. You are free to speculate.
Well, that suggests that something is unusual there, but doesn't give any details. We already know that the Lovers can PM each other, at least.

Lovers usually appear to have an independent affiliation from the village. However, in this case one of them is also the Ranger. I assume the Lovers have the same affiliation as each other by default. I do find it implausible that there could be three wolves and also a pair of independent Lovers. Would the game balance be off if there were two wolves and independent Lovers? Hard to say, but not having the Ranger firmly on our side would still be harsh.

Also, I find it hard to believe that Amroth and Nimrodel would not be on the side of the elves of Lorien at least to begin with. The narration shows no hints that anything is amiss with our ruler, and the Lady Galadriel has promised to aid him.

ToDay so far

Kitanna: Believes that tea is never optional. Well, I also agree that in my view, tea is never optional. But I understand that some poor souls feel otherwise, and one must be considerate of them. Kit throws out some random-looking guesses. She brings up the possibility of joint-Cobbler Lovers. But it doesn't look like a serious suggestion the way she phrases it.

Quote:
This looks like good speculation. An affiliation change after one of them dies could be a tricky enough thing to explain Nerwen's deliberate vagueness about both the roles.

And then Kitanna votes for Tar-Jêx, saying it is a random guess. Nothing she says there really looks suspicious. I can believe that if innocent she might have to resort to a random guess at this point of the game. But if she's not innocent then Tar-Jêx, who I believe is a first-time player, is a safe vote for her on Day 1.

Tar-Jêx: Post #17 looks the most interesting. They caution Kitanna against early guesses, then go ahead to make early guesses of their own. Tar also guesses that there are probably two wolves. The writing style doesn't seem villainous to me, but I can't rule out that Tar could be a scheming evil prodigy.

Aganzir: Is very energetic! And apparently rolled in here drunk.

Quote:
Quote:
Do not reveal anything stupid, or it could come back to bite you.
*licks lips* looking forward to that! I love when things come back to bite me.
Well, if Tar and Agan are both wolves, they're very bold ones with all that talk of biting. It does seem a bit unlikely.

Quote:
Story-wise it would make sense that Amroth decides to abandon his people if he loses Nimrodel (ie her death kills them both)
Interesting. I had better look these things up. Anyway, Agan speculates that the wolf numbers could swing either way. What she's saying generally sounds pretty sensible. I'm not getting any innocent or guilty vibes.

Loslote: She contemplates that there might really be a cobbler around. That's fair enough. Then she says she'll have to vote soon, then she votes for Boro based on slight confusion and the elimination of people she'd rather not vote for. With so little to go on, it doesn't say much for her innocence or guilt.

Shasta: Has said next to nothing.
McCaber: Ditto.
Boromir Ditto.

I'm glad I don't have to vote for a while. But for first impressions, I don't think I'll be voting for Kitanna, especially as she's already left. For Tar-Jêx and Farael there are reasons to cut them some slack. Agan and Lottie don't seem particularly suspicious as of yet.

I'm going to be gone for a few hours to watch TV and eat dinner, but barring sudden disaster, I'll be back at least two hours before the deadline.

Edit: Crossed with Tar-Jêx.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:04 AM   #28
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop
Shasta: Has said next to nothing.
Shasta: has been at work all day. I'm sure I'll come up with something to say once I'm caught up on the thread (not that there's a whole heck of a lot to catch up on, considering we're still on page one).
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Old 12-13-2014, 02:09 AM   #29
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tolkien

Quote:
Tar-Jêx: Post #17 looks the most interesting. They caution Kitanna against early guesses, then go ahead to make early guesses of their own. Tar also guesses that there are probably two wolves. The writing style doesn't seem villainous to me, but I can't rule out that Tar could be a scheming evil prodigy.
Nothing wrong with acquiring a reputation for future games.

Quote:
And then Kitanna votes for Tar-Jêx, saying it is a random guess. Nothing she says there really looks suspicious. I can believe that if innocent she might have to resort to a random guess at this point of the game. But if she's not innocent then Tar-Jêx, who I believe is a first-time player, is a safe vote for her on Day 1.
This raises suspicion with Kitanna. I am unsure how much werewolf people have played, and have yet to learn reputations of people. If she is a cunning one, what you have suggested she may have done is probably a good guess.

Some people have been theorizing that if one of the lovers dies, the other will turn, however, in the 2nd last line of post #1, Amroth says that it is his duty to protect the realm, and the one he loves. It doesn't speak to me of Amroth focusing solely on the 'lovers' win condition, as he is the ranger. However, since he is a ranger and a lover, it is more than likely that he will use his power to protect Nimrodel, rather than a villager.
To quote Nerwen, 'Amroth (Ranger/Lover)– protects a player every Night. May not pick the same player twice in a row. May or may not be able to self-protect. (i.e. I’m not telling.)'
Seeing as he may be able to self protect, he could also ignore the lover goal and just focus on survival for himself.
I believe that since Amroth has two tasks, the ranger and the lover, Nimrodel may also have more than one task. 'Nimrodel (Lover)– The exact nature of the Lovers' relationship is a secret. You are free to speculate.'
Like Kitanna, I think that there is definitely something going on with the lovers. The lovers/cobblers combination doesn't seem too implausible if they have the ability to both die together.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:21 AM   #30
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

On the number of wolves - three seems a rather large number for a village of eleven. Two makes more sense to me, but it does seem a bit underpowered. Thinking about it, it seems like the fix would be to have some sort of evil-aligned role that's not a wolf, such as a Cobbler - however, as far as we know there's no Cobbler in this game.

I had a thought just now as I was typing this up - what if the lovers are Ranger/Cobbler? Story-wise it doesn't appear to make the most sense, but I'll be the first to admit I don't know the story all that well. Is Nimrodel a character that's at all likely to be Cobbler-esque? I throw out the speculation because my shining star is being so happily vague about roles this game, and having just two wolves on the evil side seems a bit weak.

Last edited by Shastanis Althreduin; 12-13-2014 at 02:23 AM. Reason: X'ed with Tar.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:38 AM   #31
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
On the number of wolves - three seems a rather large number for a village of eleven. Two makes more sense to me, but it does seem a bit underpowered. Thinking about it, it seems like the fix would be to have some sort of evil-aligned role that's not a wolf, such as a Cobbler - however, as far as we know there's no Cobbler in this game.

I had a thought just now as I was typing this up - what if the lovers are Ranger/Cobbler? Story-wise it doesn't appear to make the most sense, but I'll be the first to admit I don't know the story all that well. Is Nimrodel a character that's at all likely to be Cobbler-esque? I throw out the speculation because my shining star is being so happily vague about roles this game, and having just two wolves on the evil side seems a bit weak.
So far, the facts we know about the lovers are: Amroth is also a ranger and the nature of the relationship has been accentuated to arouse suspicion surrounding their roles.

I doubt that Amroth would also be a cobbler, because 3 roles seems far too many for one person. If they were to be lynched, it would take a lot of interest out of the game in one hit. However, the text about Nimrodel seems most intriguing. I am led to believe that Nimrodel has more than one objective, similar to Amroth's dual objective. 2 wolves is too few, but 3 is too many. A cobbler would fill this mid-space quite well, and could be Nimrodel's other role.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:23 AM   #32
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, the old stories hold Nimrodel to be of the Nandor, who stalked these woods long before the arrival of the Noldor and Sindar. She believes us to be invaders; that we are throwing off the natural order and that we have no place here. I am not sure if she has werewolf blood in her, but I would not think she has our best interests at heart.

Alas, though, she has captured the heart of our prince Amroth, and I fear for those he is charged with protecting.

EDIT: Hang on, that's us, isn't it. FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU-

Last edited by McCaber; 12-13-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:55 AM   #33
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
Well, the old stories hold Nimrodel to be of the Nandor, who stalked these woods long before the arrival of the Noldor and Sindar. She believes us to be invaders; that we are throwing off the natural order and that we have no place here. I am not sure if she has werewolf blood in her, but I would not think she has our best interests at heart.

Alas, though, she has captured the heart of our prince Amroth, and I fear for those he is charged with protecting.

Even though he will likely be useless in our survival, if he gets lynched, that will still be annoying because we would have lost the only person (probably) with the ability to protect us from the wolves' attacks at night.

This discussion of the lovers is merely 1st page talk. It will accomplish nothing, as we will not be able to gather information, except by confession, about their goals.

Soon, the remaining elves shall speak, and from that, we must make a decision of who to lynch.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:22 AM   #34
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:

Hmm. That does sound relatively cobbler-ish, doesn't it? We might be dealing with a duo of opposed alignments (which we've seen before, although I don't remember precisely what enabled them to win as Lovers rather than just innocent or wolf - I might go back and see if I can find where that occurred.)

In any case, I'm about to drop off to sleep, so I need to vote. Going to look back and see if there's anything at all to go on - but I'll probably end up voting for someone who hasn't shown up yet (it can't have been too difficult to give everyone a poke that the game was starting, after all.)
Old 12-13-2014, 04:25 AM   #35
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Votes:

Kitanna -> TJ (1)
Lottie -> Boro (1)

That's a really small number for so close to deadline. That usually means that wolves will be able to influence the vote so they both survive Day 1, especially with how little discussion has taken place toDay.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:37 AM   #36
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm in the same boat as Shasta when it comes to sleep schedules, but when there's not much to go on I'd rather vote someone who's talking. In my experience it's the innocents who tend to not show up, but wolves and gifted have that little extra bit of information that usually has them playing with more skin in the game.

So I'm going with

++ Aganzir

Her whole crazy drunkard act seemed artificial and overcalculated to me.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:51 AM   #37
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

I come to check the thread after waking up and what do I see?

Quote:
In my experience it's the innocents who tend to not show up, but wolves and gifted have that little extra bit of information that usually has them playing with more skin in the game.
Oy! "I voted for her because she's speaking" is a reason I'm never happy with (no matter who gets the vote), but here McC basically says "Agan could be a gifted so I'm voting for her".
Old 12-13-2014, 04:54 AM   #38
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tolkien

On the contrary to McCaber, I don't believe Aganzir's drunkenness to be entirely false, however, it is true that wolves and gifted always want something to say.

I await further convincing to make my decision.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:59 AM   #39
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

I also need to vote soon. I've got to be up early tomorrow morning and can't afford to stay up much later. I'm going to read the thread over again and try to make the best decision I can in the circumstances.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:10 AM   #40
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

It seems counterproductive to me to vote for someone who's talking at this point - killing off someone who's posting as opposed to someone who's not will just cause the game to go more inactive.

Farael hasn't played in forever and I'd hate to off him Day 1 just because he had something come up. Between Rikae and Sally, it's hard to pick, but I've been blindsided by an evil Sally before; I seem to have a natural bias against thinking she's ever evil.

++Sally