The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-06-2003, 05:52 PM   #1
Dynaviir
Wight

Dynaviir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Glorfindel

I have an interesting idea..<P>What would your thoughts have been if Glorfindel had recieved the following parts?<P>* Saving Frodo from the Ring-Wraiths instead of Arwen<BR>* Been present at the Council of Elrond<BR>* Replaced Hadlir in Lothlorien<BR>* Replaced Hadlir at Helm's Deep<P>I think this would have worked very well, personally. What are your thoughts on this? We couldn't really care about Hadlir's death in the film, because we didn't know much about him, and could barely remember him from the FotR movie alone. Glorfindel would have been much more memorable, imo, because he had saved Frodo from the Ring-Wraiths. This would also help keep the story truer to the books. I doubt losing Hadlir in Lothlorien would have been a dramatic change to the story.<p>[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: Dynaviir ]
Dynaviir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 07:34 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think it would make sense for Glorfindel to be in Lothlorien after he had been in Rivendell when the Fellowship set out. It would be interesting if he had been at Helm's Deep, but hardly any truer to the book as there were no Elves at all (save Legolas) at the battle in the book. I would have liked to have seen Glorfindel save Frodo and have a say in the Council of Elrond, but it would detract from the growth of Arwen and Legolas, respectively, something that Peter Jackson obviously felt strongly about (particularly in Arwen's case).
Old 09-06-2003, 08:50 PM   #3
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think it would've been good to have Glorifinel save Frodo, & to have him appear at the council would've been fine, albiet not necesarily needed. I hardly think having Glorifindel die at Helm's Deep is any better than having Haldir die at Helm's Deep, though. So I can't quite agree with all of your replacement idea.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 04:21 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Glorfindel should have saved Frodo, or perhaps he and Arwen could have done it together. Glorfindel does the gallant sweep-the-hobbit-off-his-hairy-feet, while Arwen sits on her horse holding a torch to light their way and makes kissy faces at Aragorn. Then Glorf fights the Wraiths, and Arwen accompanies the others to Rivendell.<P>Haldir should never be replaced, although I think they should have just cut the elves from Helm's Deep. As much as I enjoyed that part, it just didn't feel right.<P>But Glor should have been at the Council of Elrond. I would love to see him smush Gimli into a pulp.<p>[ September 07, 2003: Message edited by: Meela ]
Old 09-07-2003, 08:58 AM   #5
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ahh, but that didn't happen in the book either, did it? Or did it???? Oh man, I get so confused!!!<BR>I think it was ok as it was, because then at least you get to know Arwen a bit more...although now there are all those 'dream' scenes...oh I don't know, I'm too tired...and it's only ten to four....
Old 09-11-2003, 01:15 PM   #6
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

That's a hard choice. Obviously I'd much rather Glorfindle rescused Frodo (makes a lot more sense) but you've got to think of the audience who haven't read the books. A new character would be confusing for them, especially one who doesn't really have much of a role in the books. <BR>But it would be interesting having him at Helms deep. But it wouldn't make much sense, seeing as all the Elves were from Lorien. But how about this? PJ develops his character during the rescue scenes and the council of elrond, then haves him come alone with Ellanden and Elrohir from Rivendell in RotK? That would make more sense and be truer to the book than him going to Helms Deep.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:19 PM   #7
Dynaviir
Wight

Dynaviir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That would be a good idea. I would love to see him return in Return of the King, if only to add a little continuity. But I do think he could have still worked at Helm's Deep. I thought the Elves in TTT at Helm's Deep were from Rivendell anyway, and not Lorien?
Dynaviir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 01:53 PM   #8
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They were Lorien elves. I got a bit confused as to the whole 'Elrond sent us' thing... perhaps Galadriel had a day off.<P>"You send them."<BR>"No, you send them!"<BR>"Why me?"<BR>"It's my holiday!"<BR>"I'm having a facial!"<BR>"My holiday is more important!"<BR>"Is not!"<BR>"Is too!"<BR>"Is not!!"<BR>"Is too!!"<P>and so on...
Old 09-11-2003, 06:29 PM   #9
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I thought the Elves in TTT at Helm's Deep were from Rivendell anyway, and not Lorien? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The they were even more unfeasibly fleet of foot than I thought. <P>One point, though. There is much talk here of Glorfindel rescuing Frodo. Of course, to be completely true to the book, he would have needed to lend Frodo his horse for the race to the ford and then turned up waving a firebrand on the bank to harry the Ringwraiths into the water. The strength (sadly lacking elsewhere) that this would have added to Frodo's character (by having him standing up to the Nazgul himself) would have been welcome. But it would have meant even less of a role (in action terms, at least) for Glorfindel.<P>Since he was an Elf of Rivendell, I don't think that it would have worked having him replace Haldir. The idea of him turning up in RotK with Elrond's sons is an interesting one, but would (non-book reading) audiences remember him from the first film? In addition, there would be little scope for development of his character in RotK (which is also a good reason for not having Elladan and Elrohir, much as I would like to see them).
Old 09-13-2003, 04:58 AM   #10
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Maéglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He DOESN'T have to have that major a part. The only kick-*** Elf we really see in LOTR Movies is Legolas of course and the Elves at Helm's Deep, while weren't exactly cannon fodder didnt stand too tough against those pansy Uruk-hai <P>Glorfindel with the sons of Elrond (in battle preferably) would have been cool, for detail's sake, highlighting the Elves' great strength and power... and who doesnt want to see Glorfindel on the 'other side.' I loved how Gandalf described Glorfindel<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Yes, you saw him for a moment as he is upon the other side: one of the mighty of the Firstborn. He is an Elf-lord of a house of princes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maéglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 05:28 AM   #11
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "You send them."<BR>"No, you send them!"<BR>"Why me?"<BR>"It's my holiday!"<BR>"I'm having a facial!"<BR>"My holiday is more important!"<BR>"Is not!"<BR>"Is too!"<BR>"Is not!!"<BR>"Is too!!"<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And if Galadriel was the one with the day off, that means Elrond was having the facial...perish the thought!<P>I am now extremely confused. Did Haldir exist in the books or not?<P>Edit: Yes, he did, I just looked it up.<P>And now another point...when did Sam say "In the end the Shadow is only a passing thing, there is light and beauty forever beyond its reach." ???<p>[ September 13, 2003: Message edited by: Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 ]