The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-22-2003, 02:33 PM   #1
Thalionmar
Pile O'Bones

Thalionmar has just left Hobbiton.
Question Death of the Witch King

If, as in the book, the lord of the Nazgul is (partly) slain by a blade of westernesse that came from the barrow, how then will he be slain in the film since the barrow downs were excluded from the fellowship?<P>I say partly because it was also down to Eowyn that the Witch King was slain. However, if in the movie the Witch King is slain wholly by a non-magical blade wielded by Eowyn I will be dissapointed as it would be too easy an end to such a powerful being.<P>Does anyone have any suggestions as to how the Witch King will be slain without the inclusion of a powerful sword of the west of old?
Old 08-22-2003, 03:20 PM   #2
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

It might still work out like that. I mean, we don't really know <I>where</I> Aragorn got those swords he gave the hobbits, do we? <P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 08-22-2003, 04:40 PM   #3
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It might still work out like that. I mean, we don't really know where Aragorn got those swords he gave the hobbits, do we? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Actually, as HcIsland once pointed out to me, I think Merry will stab the Witch King with the dagger he got from Galadriel, don't you? Her refrence to how they already have seen their service in battle would lead you to believe that perhaps they came from Gondolin (was that the right name? I can never keep it straight ). Just a thought, but I think that's what'll happen.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 04:41 PM   #4
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I'm more worried about whether PJ will even have Merry participate in the slaying of the Witch-king, never mind his sword.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 07:32 PM   #5
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I thought Arwen was going to kill the Witch-King in the movie.<p>[ August 22, 2003: Message edited by: Pukel-Man ]
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 08:21 PM   #6
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I thought Arwen was going to kill the Witch-King in the movie.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Oh my God don't let this be true! <BR>Anyway, I think Eowyn is still going to kill him, and no matter what you think happened, here's how it happened in the book. Eowyn kills his beast, the Witch King hits her with his mace, then Merry hits him in the leg with his sword. He's crippled, but not quite dead until Eowyn stabs him with her sword.<P>So there you have it: He was killed with Eowyn's sword, not Merry's. You have my word that this is how it happened in the book, and if you doubt what I say, feel free to look it up.<p>[ August 22, 2003: Message edited by: Meneltarmacil ]
Old 08-22-2003, 08:34 PM   #7
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>So there you have it: He was killed with Eowyn's sword, not Merry's. You have my word that this is how it happened in the book, and if you doubt what I say, feel free to look it up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Meneltarmacil: Yes, Merry saved Eowyn from being killed by stabbing the Witch King with his sword that was wrought with spells for the destruction of Evil, & then Eowyn killed him while he was down (since he couldn't have been killed by a man). Therefore if you want to get techinical, Merry <I>&</I> Eowyn killed the Witch King, since niether could've without the other.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:48 PM   #8
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

PJ probably didn't think that it would matter to the masses of viewers whether Merry's blade came from the Barrow-Downs, or from Lorien or wherever. A lot of moviegoers don't appreciate detail and technicalities (At least <I>we</I> know the truth! ). PJ probably only cared about getting the Witch-King killed, not minding about the tiny details that we observant readers care so much about. Anyway, we'll be seeing ROTK in a few months, and after that we'll have another topic to rant or rave about here in the discussion forum. <P>I do hope this particular scene will stay faithful to the book - Merry, Eowyn, powerful lines and all. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I thought Arwen was going to kill the Witch-King in the movie <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh no... say it isn't so! It was enough that she stole Glorfindel's part, she shouldn't take Eowyn's.<p>[ August 22, 2003: Message edited by: Kaiserin ]
Old 08-22-2003, 09:20 PM   #9
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Oh no... say it isn't so! It was enough that she stole Glorfindel's part, she shouldn't take Eowyn's.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Don't worry, I seriously doubt she will. If she does participate in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, she'll arrive with Aragorn, who as you know does not arrive until after the Witch King is dead.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:28 PM   #10
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>If she does participate in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, she'll arrive with Aragorn, who as you know does not arrive until after the Witch King is dead.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I hope she does not fight. I imagine she will. I am certain she will not steal Eowyn's part in the destruction of the Witch King.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>So there you have it: He was killed with Eowyn's sword, not Merry's. You have my word that this is how it happened in the book, and if you doubt what I say, feel free to look it up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Merry had just as big of a role as Eowyn in the vanquishing of the Witch King. To argue that Eowyn was the sole reason for his destruction, or even the larger reason (which would be the only plausible reason for the above statement) is inaccurate.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:45 PM   #11
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Merry had just as big of a role as Eowyn in the vanquishing of the Witch King. To argue that Eowyn was the sole reason for his destruction, or even the larger reason (which would be the only plausible reason for the above statement) is inaccurate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That was hardly my point at all, Lord of Angmar. I was only saying that Eowyn's completely mundane Rohirrim sword could work just as well as Merry's magical barrow sword against the Witch King.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:02 AM   #12
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> A lot of moviegoers don't appreciate detail and technicalities (At least we know the truth!). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah, but a lot of them will be thinking along the lines of, "Why didn't they just do that in the first place?" and why the Witch-king was killed even though Gollum said in TTT that you can't kill the wraiths. But then again, we're talking about the people that call poor Gollum a schiz.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
Old 08-23-2003, 10:14 AM   #13
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>and why the Witch-king was killed even though Gollum said in TTT that you can't kill the wraiths<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Since when is Gollum considered a reliable source of information?<P>Meneltarmacil, I did not mean to sound harsh with my above statement, but I do not agree that <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Eowyn's completely mundane Rohirrim sword could work just as well as Merry's magical barrow sword against the Witch King.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Eowyn's sword would have been unable to destroy the Lord of the Nazgul if Merry's blade had not been a work of Westernesse:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>No other blade, not though mightier hands had wielded it, would have dealt that foe a wound so bitter, cleaving the undead flesh, breaking the spell that knit his unseen sinews to his will. (The Return of the King)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>In other words, no other blade would have sufficed to puncture the "undead flesh" of the Witch King, and it was <I>solely</I> because of the use of Merry's sword to wound the Witch King and "break the spell that knit his unseen sinews" that Eowyn had the ability to destroy him once and for all.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:53 AM   #14
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>and why the Witch-king was killed even though Gollum said in TTT that you can't kill the wraiths<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I wouldn't say that Gollum ISN'T a reliable source of information. But you can't kill the Witch King unless you're not a man, according to the prophesy.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:11 PM   #15
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Since when is Gollum considered a reliable source of information?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Does the audience that hasn't read the books know that? They'll still be wondering why they didn't do that in the first place...