The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-16-2003, 08:11 PM   #1
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting Where in Middle-Earth is this from??!!

Ok I have never seen this pic before maybe some of you have. It is obvious that this is from FOTR but where would it fit in? Eru all these deleted scene pictures are driving me up the walls! <P>

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 02:00 AM   #2
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Okay, let's see. It has to be in Rivendell 'cause there are Gandalf and Elrond in the pic (and Elrond is sitting there like at home and drinking). Besides, it looks like 'Elrond's chamber' and that kind of furnishings would fit to Rivendell. It may be some conversation before Frodo woke up or a deleted part from that scene where they discuss about the ring's future after Frodo's healed (when there is the 'Isildur- flash back' in the film).

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 01-12-2006 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Sweeping party...
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:39 AM   #3
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hmmmmm....I don't think that shot is in the movie at all! Because there was no scene in which Elrond was sitting at a table while Gandalf was talking to him.<BR>It <I>is</I> just a deleted scene.<BR>It would probably fit in when Gandalf and Elrond are discussing the movement of Saruman and Sauron in Rivendell. <p>[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Tarien Ithil ]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:16 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's cut from TTT, I think.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:26 AM   #5
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think it is from TTT, because, apparently, Gandalf is still the Grey.<P>I too think it was shot in the house of Elrond, maybe when Frodo was still recovering, or perhaps after he woke up.<BR>In the final cut of the film, Elrond and Gandalf have a little discussion about who is going to help with the quest, while looking down on Frodo and Sam. Perhaps they first shot it this way...
Old 07-17-2003, 08:44 AM   #6
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yea, good point, Mariska. He's still Gandalf teh Grey, so this <I>must</I> be a deleted shot from FOTR.

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:10 AM   #7
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Call me weird but I think this happpens right before that scene where Aragorn and Arwen get some Kissy Kissy action. I only wish we knew what they were discussing.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 01:37 PM   #8
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'd guess that's when Gandalf and Elrond are talking in Rivendell after Frodo woke up, before the Council of Elrond. It's either a deleted scene or the same scene shot a different way or something like that. It can't be from an up-coming movie anyway.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:05 PM   #9
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

IT could also be a flash back from TTT, back to when they were in Rivendell. Maybe?

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 02:32 PM   #10
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I think it may be from an old version of when they were filming the scene where Gandalf tells Elrond about Saruman.<P>May I also take this oppurtunity to ask where this picture (also Lyta_Underhill's avatar) came from?<P> <p>[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: peonydeepdelver ]
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 02:42 PM   #11
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Maybe that scene was a conversation between Gandalf and Elrond during the evening before the Council? It is during dusk so I think that would make sense.<P>I have always wondered where that picture of Frodo curled up on the statue was from. It wasn't like he had much time to rest while they were at that location. Maybe he was just trying to hide from Boromir?
Old 07-29-2003, 03:07 PM   #12
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The picture of Wood is a production shot and not from the movie. He often took naps between takes.<P>I agree that the Elrond-Gandalf picture is a cut scene from Fellowship. One explanation is that the writers continually went back and forth on how to provide the back story. One option was not to have a prologue at all and to provide the background to the audience as it is needed. Once the prologue was put in much of what was originally shot between Elrond and Gandalf may have become repeatative and therefore was cut out. The scene could have originally been much longer.<P>The Bag End kitchen table scene between Frodo and Gandalf is another example of this. This scene was originally much longer (as it is in the book) as Gandalf explains much of the history of The Ring to Frodo. With the prologue inserted, much of what was shot became superfluous and was dropped.<P>H.C.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:12 PM   #13
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I agree as well that it is just a cut version of that scene. It must have just been one of the different approaches tried. Sorry, Im probably just repeating. . Whoops. I'll just be quiet now.
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:12 AM   #14
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The picture of Wood is a production shot and not from the movie. He often took naps between takes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh, I never knew that. Thank you very much for clearing that up
Old 07-31-2003, 05:11 PM   #15
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, the "Sleeping Frodo" is obviously a production shot - it's prolly when they were taking the scene at the end of FotR where Frodo & Boromir have their argument about the ring. It's the head of that fallen statue there...
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 08:08 PM   #16
Sindae
Haunting Spirit

Sindae has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

How can he sleep with these feet? Don't they feel strange?
Old 08-09-2003, 07:48 PM   #17
Alakreiél

Silmaril

if you listen to all the extras on the FOTR extended edition there is an interview with Billy Boyd that talks about how Elijah could sleep anywhere at anytime. So the feet didn't bother him.<P>As to the original picture of Gandalf and Elrond I believe it is a cut scene that hppens while they are talking about Isildur and how men have failed.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:21 AM   #18
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> As to the original picture of Gandalf and Elrond <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>...Looks like it was taken from a different <BR>unit and then edited out in the process.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Elijah could sleep anywhere at anytime. So the feet didn't bother him<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> but isn't Elijah too big to fit on that nose? I'll warrant that it's Kieran (Elijah's midget double), and not Elijah.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:19 AM   #19
Lucinda
Animated Skeleton

Lucinda has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yup, i think its probably the midgit (or is it midget?) double. The face dosn't really look like Elijah Wood.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:10 PM   #20
Cleansed Curunir
Newly Deceased

Cleansed Curunir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know how you feel regarding the deleted scene pictures.<P>Well, apparently it would have to be Rivendell, inside Elrond's halls, which we get a brief glance of.<P>This is probably where Gandalf is telling Elrond about Saruman and his imprisonment in Orthanc since in a later scene Elrond says something like "Saruman has betrayed us, as you told me."
Cleansed Curunir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 08:51 PM   #21
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I think it's possible it's just a behind-the-scenes shot or something. Kind of like that somewhat famous picture of Elrond stroking his chin...it's not FROM any place in the movie. Maybe Ian and Hugo were just having a little chat between shots or something.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:51 AM   #22
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can only think it is one of the many scenes from the movie that did not make it through the diting process. To film a movie that lasts three hours, PJ probably had to shoot 4 or 5 hours excluding the retakes. And he is most certainly keeping the rolls of film in some bank vault.<P>That shot has to be of inside Rivendell as it is the only place Elrond is seen other than in the first battle.