The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2003, 06:54 AM   #1
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye Sams accent

has anyone else noticed that sams accent changes from gloucestershire (well thats what it supposed to be and i live there!) to american and then kind of a mix?!
Old 06-11-2003, 08:18 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I noticed some change. But it is kinda hard to keep up an accent all the time, plus I'm sure some of the words just came out American due to the way they were pronounced.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:12 AM   #3
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

I haven't really noticed that. But I'll keep that in mind next time..... Thanks for the "info!"
Old 06-11-2003, 04:20 PM   #4
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Yeah I have noticed that Sean Astin tended to slip in and out of the accent as Sam but really guys I don't know about you but I get so caught up in his <B>wonderful</B> performance as Sam that his slipping in and out of the accent doesn't bother me at all...<P>
Old 06-11-2003, 04:50 PM   #5
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was watching the commentary and he had to do his "Get down!" bit in FotR over and over, because it kept sounding like "Git dawhn!"
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 05:01 PM   #6
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Yeah I have noticed that Sean Astin tended to slip in and out of the accent as Sam but really guys I don't know about you but I get so caught up in his wonderful performance as Sam that his slipping in and out of the accent doesn't bother me at all...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Same here. <P>What Sean Astin did to his voice in the movie was far more than I, another person from the U.S., could ever manage. I know for a fact that I couldn't change my accent like that for extended periods of time without it sounding atrocious and downright frightening. Besides, he wasn't the only one with slip-ups - Viggo Mortensen lapsed every now and then as well. But hey, when you've got so many different nationalities and accents in one movie, you're bound to have slip-ups. I think it makes the film even more interesting. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I was watching the commentary and he had to do his "Get down!" bit in FotR over and over, because it kept sounding like "Git dawhn!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hehe, yeah, that was pretty funny. And when Elijah said, in an American accent, "What are you doing?!" <p>[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: Estella Brandybuck ]
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote