The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2003, 05:47 PM   #1
Turin_5

Sting Faramir

Am I the only one who was quite disapointed at the way Faramir was depicted in the TT movie??
Old 05-03-2003, 07:46 PM   #2
Stryker Stormeye
Animated Skeleton

Stryker Stormeye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No...<P>I was too. I think they murdered his character.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:26 PM   #3
Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Haunting Spirit

Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Eye

i totally agree. they so killed faramir
Old 05-04-2003, 12:04 AM   #4
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

They showed Faramir like that so they could dipict the weakness of man. If you can understand that? But yes, I think it was a bit harsh, but i suppose it had to be done.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 06:04 AM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I absolutely loved him. And I do know what he was like in the books. Either way he's brilliant.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:54 PM   #6
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If you'd asked me this question a few months ago, I'd have gone into a five-hour rantfest about the destruction of Faramir's character. Now, however, I think I've come to an understanding as to why Peter Jackson and the writers had him act like he did and I now love the movie Faramir almost as much as the book Faramir. I also posted my views in another thread somewhere. Try the "search" function.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 01:54 PM   #7
Elven Maiden Earwen

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I absolutely loved him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>But Meela you love everyone no mater how weird they are for example. Grima and Denethor <P><BR>I understand why they did what they did to his charecter but I don't like him that way.(Book virsion is better) <p>[ May 04, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]
Old 05-04-2003, 02:13 PM   #8
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Good point but at least Faramir has other fans! I mean, Denethor, Grima, Theoden, Treebeard, Gimli, and Gil-Galad don't exactly compare to Legolas and Frodo.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:19 PM   #9
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think they ruined him slightly as he was portrayed as a good man who had resistance to the ring wheras he was more like Bpromir in the film and i think it may ruin ROTK slightly aswell. But i still think the film will b exellent
Old 05-11-2003, 05:03 PM   #10
Gildor15
Pile O'Bones

Gildor15 has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Howdy eveyone!<BR>I'm new but no less of a tolkien fanatic than you I think. I was wondering if PJ is going to put the Eowyn/Faramir love story into the movie or not. I haven't done much searching on the topic so there might be discussion about it I haven't seen. I hated the way Pj portrayed faramir because he is the coolest guy from Gondor. So anyway tell me if you know anything.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:34 AM   #11
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My god, if Éowyn and Faramir's story wasnt in it, it wouldnt be Lord Of The Rings now would it?

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 11:38 AM   #12
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Its in there. Apparently the wedding is in and all. Anyone else gonna cry? Oh, and I've already claimed the position of Woman In The Big Hat, so no trying to steal my place
Old 05-30-2003, 09:40 AM   #13
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well it looks like the carniage will continue...<P>Spoilers contined in link<P><BR><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/1054286308" TARGET=_blank>Interview with Miranda Otto from TORN</A><P>What bugs me the most about this is that PJ kept saying "Don't worry we will redeem Faramir in ROTK", but now it just means he will be pretty much hacked out of the story...<P>I am really disappointed!!!!<p>[ May 30, 2003: Message edited by: Faramir Fan ]
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 10:46 AM   #14
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

They can't hack the best part of the story!
Old 05-30-2003, 10:49 AM   #15
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gee, what I read said that the romance was definately there. I would be happy with that. I never expected a great deal of time being spent on, what is essentially, a side story.<P>H.C.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:59 PM   #16
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ... but now it just means he will be pretty much hacked out of the story... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, I read it as saying that not too much time will be spent on the House of Healing scenes and that the romance between Faramir and Eowyn won't be overplayed, both of which I see as plus factors for the film.<P>Don't worry, I imagine that Faramir is going to play an important part in this final film, what with the interplay between him, Denethor and Pippin, the tension of his flight from Osgiliath and, of course, Denethor's attempt to barbeque him.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:24 AM   #17
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>They showed Faramir like that so they could dipict the weakness of man.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> They did THAT to Farimir to show the weakness of man!? Umm, they already showed the weakness of man in Borimir. If you can understand that. They messed up Farimir so that they could 'heighten the drama'. why should they sacrifice a 'noble character' like Farimir to heighten the drama in a already dramatic movie? Obviously it isn't greatly dramatic to cut from Helm's Deep to Sam asking Farimir to pass the bread ( HCIsland already said that in a different thread ), but do people really care? People like to have a good character in the middle of a 'greedy' place like Gondor ( except PJ apparently ). Oh well, I hated his portrayl. Out. <p>[ May 31, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote