The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-16-2002, 03:35 PM   #1
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Actors' Commentaries

One of the best things about having DVD is the good ol' commentary sequences. And I think the "LoTR" commentary version is one of the most interesting I've seen yet. (Though it will take a long time for me to watch the whole thing.)<P>To listen to Sir Ian, the "Hobbits", Christopher Lee and Orlando Bloom sit and give a running dialogue of all the scenes as you watch the film is just a joy. They are all so swept up in their craft and what Peter Jackson accomplished on the screen. They really make the film seem fresh to me. <P>You also get a deep appreciation of how disjointed a film production must be for the people participating in it. This struck home when Orlando Bloom mentioned in the first scene between Sam and Gandalf, that he seldom actually got to work in scenes with the principal hobbit actors. Most of the scenes he filmed involving the Hobbits were actually done with the stand-ins. So he talked about how amazed he was at the job Sean Astin did with the character of Sam. He had never actually seen Sean in the role until he saw the completed film! <P>There are very many other "insider" moments and surprises revealed by the commentaries. I hope you all take the time to catch these. It's worth the price of the extended version alone.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 07:22 AM   #2
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I LOVE THE COMMENTARIES! The actors are halarious! Especially Dominic. You get to learn how to play games like "Cup" and "Tig". They just make the film that more enjoyable.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:51 PM   #3
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That sounds so great!!! I wish I could hear/see it!! <B>But</B> guess what?? I bought the extended dvd yesterday, and what happens next? I only get to see the "normal" scenes - and then? My "beloved" dvd-player breaks down!! It makes scratchy noices all the time and picture quality is less than a VHS!! I off course pulled the dice out right away ... and now I can't watch LotR for ages! I can just watch everybody else be happy for their copy <BR>Sorry for fraking out, I just needed to share my grief and sorrow...
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 10:50 PM   #4
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love all the extras. I have'nt watched all with the commentaries but what I have seen is great. Dom is so funny. I just laugh at all his impressions of the others.<BR>He is my fav. Hobbit now.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:46 PM   #5
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I know what you mean about Dom's impressions. I can't decide which I liked most: his telling about John Rhys-Davies ordering food at a restaurant or Sean Astin's scale double beating Sean at chess (the scale double is Indian and has a strong accent). "I take his bishwop and he try to take my king and then I take his king." Funny. I've always wished that I could do different accents or voices.<P>I've always wondered, too, how actors can enjoy watching movies they were in on, because I would think it wouldn't be real for them. I mean, how can they "get lost" in a movie they know inside out. Like instead of seeing a character on screen they see a fellow actor. It's just something I've thought about on different occasions. So it's interesting to hear about how Orlando Bloom didn't get to witness Sean Astin's acting until watching the movie.<p>[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]