The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2003, 05:44 PM   #1
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The most suspenceful scene

What is the most suspenceful scene in FOTR and TTT.<P>In FOTR, I think it was the part were the Nazgul were about to stab the hobbits in Bree. The first time I saw the movie I say,"Run hobbits!!! There going to KILL YOU!!!" I mean, if somebody was going to stab you in your hotel room, you'd want somebody to give you a heads-up. <P>In TTT, it was the part where Frodo is just standing there in Osgiliath listening to Sam, then everything goes silent, and he looks up and says errily,"There here. The've come." That was truly freaky.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:45 AM   #2
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dűm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In FotR, I think it's the point in Balin's Tomb where the Fellowship is awaiting the entrance of the orcs (goblins?). Ooh, suspense.<P>TTT, I think it would have to be when Faramir realizes Frodo has the Ring and is acting all "Ooh, I kin take that thar ring 'n' y'cain't stop meh".
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 04:50 AM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> TTT, I think it would have to be when Faramir realizes Frodo has the Ring and is acting all "Ooh, I kin take that thar ring 'n' y'cain't stop meh". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*rolls on the floor laughing*<P>Suspensful... hmm... yeh, I think the Faramir/Frodo blah.<P>The Forbidden Pool bit, where you wait to see if Frodo will scream "Noooo! Don't shoot my precious!" and kick Faramir in the shins or not.<P>And the bit where you wonder if Faramir will take the ring or whether Frodo really will yell and bite Faramir's kneecaps.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:22 AM   #4
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dűm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And the bit where you wonder if Faramir will take the ring or whether Frodo really will yell and bite Faramir's kneecaps.<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I nearly fell of my chair laughing when I saw that, I like it a lot.<P>In FoTr mine would be the whole "they are coming..." that's was chilling.<BR>In TTT was when the Riders are making shishkabob out of orcs with there spears and you were wondering how Merry and Pippin get away from the disgusting orc with a drooling problem.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 05:20 PM   #5
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Has everyone forgotten the Bree scene where the Nazgűl stab the pillows, but you think that they're actually the hobbits?<P>In <I>TTT</I>, I'd have to say right before Helm's Deep, when you see the shots of the refugees huddling in the caves, while you can hear the Uruk-hai slamming their pikes on the ground outside. <I>That</I>, my friends, is suspense.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:43 PM   #6
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Has everyone forgotten the Bree scene where the Nazgűl stab the pillows, but you think that they're actually the hobbits? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Because I read the book first I recognized this for what it was, so no it wasn't suspenceful.<P>In FoTR I agree with whoever Rynoah about Balin's Tomb. That's a great moment when the orcs are banging on the door and we get that close-up of the four hobbits. The music is perfect.<P>As for TTT, likely the scene where Sarumon's host is before Helm's Deep banging their spears and chanting.<P>H.C.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:48 PM   #7
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Suspenceful? I felt all 'giddy' during the battle of Helm's Deep in TTT, but suspenceful? Well, I guess a little the first time I saw TTT when the orcs stop marching and everyone's just standing there. A little. <P>Yeah, the pillow stabbing part got me the first time I saw FOTR cause I hadn't read the books yet. But I finished them loooong before TTT came out so I kinda don't have much suspense. I hope I will maybe in the third one. I hope PJ kills an important character that lived in the books. Like Legolas, he's a perfect candidate!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 05:51 PM   #8
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dűm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Yes, probably the part when the Nazgul are going to stab the pillow hobbits. Though I can't help laughing when I see someone watching it for the first time and its at that part, their expressions are hilarious.<P>And also when Gandalf was on the bridge of Kazad-dum. For anyone that hadn't read the books, it is hard to tell if he really is going to fall. Then he does.<P>Oh, and in TTT when Frodo is standing infront of the fell beast, slow-mo gave it just the perfect effect!
Old 04-14-2003, 02:19 PM   #9
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In FOTR, it would definitely be the part where they're in the mines of Moria at Balin's Tomb and Gandalf is reading from that journal type thingie. In TTT, I think I'd have to say at Helms Deep when the orcs are all standing just outside the gates, pounding on the ground with their weapons.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:20 PM   #10
Dunadun
Pile O'Bones

Dunadun has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Dunadun
Sting

In the FOTR it's the part where Aragorn is about to fight the Uruk-Hai and is walking all big and bad and kicks their butt.<P>In TTT it's the part where it's showing the battlements of all the men and elves and it throws in a little twist where it has Gimli's space where he's too short.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:44 PM   #11
Aladriel Celebrian

Shield

when I was like 6 my mom was reading FOTR to me and when they were in Moria I was sitting in the darkest corner and all the lights were off just candles all around her(i only had ine). She kept pausing like every two seconds. That my good friends is suspense.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:17 PM   #12
Arayáviëiel

Sting

In FOTR, I thought the part where the hobbits are still in the shire and they hide uner the tree while the Nazgul sniffs for them was suspenseful. Very large bugs add to the scene. In TTT, the waiting part in Helm's deep, where they show the women and children waiting for the attack -- always makes my heart start to pound.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:21 AM   #13
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All of your moments were good ones and I agree! Here are a few that haven't been mentioned...<P>FOTR:<P>When Boromir picks up the ring in the snow and hesitates in giving it back to Frodo...the shot with Aragorn taking his hand from the sword added to the suspense.<P>TTT:<P>Evil Faramir (or Boromir 2 as he was portrayed in the movie). I did not expect that and when he was protrayed that way, for me personally having read the books first, I was thrown. Somehow his chararcter became unpredictable to me and it took until after the movie to realize how much I hated "this" Faramir, because I was on the edge of my seat, not knowing where PJ was going with this. <P>To be honest, I still don't undertand where PJ was going witb it, but I am hoping the extended TTT, will help...
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:36 AM   #14
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me the most suspensful part was waiting for the death arrow two hit Boromir. I had read the books and new what to expect, but it just took a while.<P>It kinda funny how we who read the books can enjoy parts when others are gapping in aw. For instance when Frodo is stabed by the cave troll and Merry and Pippin get infuriatied and Jump on his head, I started laughing while others are crying about Frodo.<P>The really only suspenseful part in TTT for me was to see if we finally got rid of Arwen.<P>JK. She wasn't at all bad in TTT. Cause that probably could have happened.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:51 AM   #15
OddEvenstar
Pile O'Bones

OddEvenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to OddEvenstar
Sting

In FotR, I thought the part where Gandalf was standing on the Bridge of Khazad-Dum was most suspenseful, but I watched the movie before I read the book. In TTT, it was when Gandalf (now the White) was in Fangorn Forest, this God-like figure <i>glowing</i> with power. Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas didn't know what hit them when the Mithrandir revealed himself, when they'd thought it was Saruman or something. I knew it was going to happen (I read the book prior to TTT this time), but for me it was just like this moment when you questioned whether Gandalf could be so strong as to survive the Balrog. Well, I guess that's the power of PJ <P>P.S. The scene of Helm's Deep was a close second.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:39 PM   #16
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hmmm. That's a tough one. Since I had already read the books before I saw the movie, I knew what was going to happen (for the most part). I've heard people say Gandalf on Kazad-Dum, orcs breaking into the Chamber of Marzbul (Moria), Arwen riding against the Black Riders, the Wizard Fight, Hobbits under the tree with the Black Rider sniffing, all of Watcher in the Water scenes, Frodo entering a darkened Bag End, when the movie kept switching clips from the boats on the Aundin to the pursuing Uruk-Hai, etc., etc. I'd have to say the whole Mines of Moria was the most suspenseful for me ( I guess)! Whew...I'm going to go lie down!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:39 AM   #17
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In FOTR, i think its the part just after Pippin makes those things fall down that well type thing and then all the noise begins, its like you dont know whats gonna happen next! <BR>In TTT its at the battle of Helms Deep when the Orcs, Men and Elves stand there just looking at each other and not doing anything, that is freaky!