The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-25-2002, 12:05 PM   #1
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien Narsil

I just realized something (and I'm ashamed that it took me this long). We were all in a huff because most of us Barrow Downers thought that Arwen was going to bring a reforged Narsil to Aragorn at Helm's Deep. But she didn't! So when does Aragorn get his legendary sword? Or, now here's a shocker, does he already have it? He could have gotten it in FotR, and PJ just deemed it not worthy of a scene. The scene in the special edition with Aragorn at Gilraen's grave has me puzzling over this, because I know they talked about reforging Narsil, but did they actually do it?
Old 12-25-2002, 12:42 PM   #2
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Aragorn handed over a sword that looked like Narsil to Hama at Meduseld, but without question or qualm. Evidently the reforging was not deemed necessary.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 04:35 PM   #3
Aragorn Husband of Arwen
Animated Skeleton

Aragorn Husband of Arwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My only hope is that there isn't a scene, but he already has it.<P>But my figuring is we'll see it at the end...where it shouldn't be.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:50 PM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I do not know when Aragorn is going to get it, or if he is. In TTT it seemed he had the same sword that he had in the first movie, though I do not want to see a scene where Arwen comes or anything, for me that would be very dumb. Maybe Peter Jackson is just making a stupid mistake by thinking it is not important to the story, though I hope we see it because they kind of talked about it in the first one.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:04 PM   #5
the mortal elf
Wight

Tolkien

I just finished watching the the appendices for the extended DVD again and realized something. Narsil has a hollow pommel, so it will be really recognizable when he finally gets it. Now I won't have to worry anymore. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:10 AM   #6
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just realized something, I went and saw TTT today for the 3rd time. When I was watching it, there is that one scene where Arwen is standing by a dead Aragorn, and he is holding a sword, the sword is Narsil.<P>Because he is holding the same sword that is in the painting in Rivendell, so he is going to get it, but the question is, when?
Old 12-31-2002, 02:11 AM   #7
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm... maybe I'll have to watch a little more pedantically to check up on it, but I've seen it stated by the filmmakers that Aragorn has two swords, one at the start and one after Rivendell. Elrond does tell him that the sword will be reforged, and surely this means it is as good as done? Taking up valuable screen time with the Elvish smiths would have been out of the question, although I am curious (read: sceptical) about how they could have made it better than the original. What was Tolkien thinking?<P>I really think Aragorn should have blown his own trumpet a little more, though. I miss the line "Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!", and I think he should have mentioned to Hama that, oh by the way this sword is something like 8000 years old so please look after it!
Old 12-31-2002, 11:33 AM   #8
the mortal elf
Wight

Tolkien

Ah, but the sword he handed over wasn't Narsil. It didn't have a hollow pommel! And, looking at all the special edition spoilers, it seems as though Arwen has it in Lothlorien at the moment. He'll probably get it in RoTK. *sigh*
Old 12-31-2002, 11:57 AM   #9
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

PJ did mention in hsi comentary that Narsil will play a big role. Actually I think he will get it at the beginning of of Return of the King. When Arwens brothers come (book) who ever comes in the movie to give him his banner they will bring the sword.<P>But I always thought that Arwen would bring it to Lothlorien and Haldir would bring it to Aragorn before the battle of Helm's deep. hmmm

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 07:19 AM   #10
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Interesting! Wery inter-esting... But if Narsil/Anduril was going to play such a huge part in ROTK, shouldn't we have been explicitly told in FOTR that Aragorn didn't have it? Maybe he and Elrond could've had their conversation in the Narsil Room, and Aragorn could've left straight away without the sword reforged. Then we wouldn't have to play guessing games about it! I mean come on, if <B>anal</B>-ytical Tolkien fans can't make out what's going on with the sword, how can the majority of the audience be expected to keep up with such a small detail?