The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2002, 11:08 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril *TTT - Treebeard and other Ents (CGI)*

Did you like the way the Ents look and the part they play in the movie?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 01:28 PM   #2
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Though i haven't seen TTT yet , I played with the Trrebeard toy today at Toys-R-Us. He talked, and his voice was raspy and almost toneless. He sounded very good. Of course I forget his 5 different lines, Something about "I promised Gandalf I'd take care of you, and take care of you I will", The phrase "take care" is off. He said this in a hasty manner, the other phraes were spoken very slow. Well, he looked and sounded great, I was almost tempted to shell out thirty bucks, but he wouldn't match my decor!
Old 12-18-2002, 02:36 AM   #3
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Wow. "The last march of the Ents." I cried. And I drooled. <P>Really good computer animation thingamajigey here. Love Treebeard's voice and his very "unhasty" manner. And the sound of the Old Entish- it was so deep that it gave me shivers!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 11:29 PM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The CGI work was good. I've heard it dissed by critics, but I liked it.<P>Bad things: Though Treebeard himself isn't hasty, all the Ent scenes are. They're short, few and far between, and not up to the book. There is no mention of Entwives or Entings, or the Entish poem that tells all about the creatures of Middle-earth. Merry and Pippin don't drink Ent-draught or really interact with him all that much.<P>The Entmoot was good except that it was shortened, there was no Quickbeam, and the conclusion reached NOT to do anything was totally the opposite of the book. It matched up with Theoden's decision to run and hide in Helm's Deep instead of riding to Isengard. Why make them look selfish that way?<P>All in all, the whole Ent thing was a bit less grand and deep than in the book. But it certainly doesn't fall down on all accounts. I liked the way they looked and sounded, and I got a chuckle out of the part where he told Merry and Pippin that they'd just agreed that they weren't Orcs. Perhaps not as good as "We've just finished saying hello" but still something that tickled me.<P>Of course, though the wrong descision at the Entmoot wasn't too good, it led to some great lines for Pippin. I can't recall the lines correctly, but the way he tricked Treebeard into going south was great. I loved it. His mind does work after all! (And I knew that, of course, I'm just glad that PJ actually does, too).<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 12-18-2002, 11:58 PM   #5
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought the computer work on the ents was good, Treebeard looked different from what I imagened, but he works! <BR>The one problem I had was that there tons of scenes just showing Treebeard, Merry and Pippin just walking, not doing anything useful to the story, while they could of used that time at the Entmoot.<BR>But I liked the way that all of them were indivedial looking, and how they stomped on Isengard! (and the orcs ) And brought down the dam! (was there a dam originally? Oh well) and the look of the forest, it looked strange, and old!<BR>I think I need to see it again to have a good, solid opinion. <BR>See ya,<BR>~M
Old 12-19-2002, 12:01 AM   #6
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved the way the Ents looked. Yes, some things had to be left out for time purposes but overall it was an awesome job.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:32 AM   #7
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Loved the Ents. The variation was very well done.<P>Treebeard was very funny too, which I was hoping for, because I always thought he was hilarious in the book.<P>Plus the storming of Isengard was just brilliant.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:28 AM   #8
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Loved the collection and variety of Ents-- the willow was SOOO beautifully done! Oak, Beech, Ash... They were all so cool, and I'm looking forward to getting the DVD and studying them more. <P>Loved the CGI (didn't look stilted to me, although it took a bit of getting used to.)<P>But--- WHERE WERE THE HUORNS????
Old 12-19-2002, 01:00 PM   #9
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Haven't seen the movie yet, but read this review just now and thought it very funny. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The ent has been a closely-guarded secret by the filmmakers and now we know why: because it is possibly the stupidest-looking fantasy creature ever to appear in a movie. I'm serious. This is Neverending Story stuff. This is almost Labyrinth stuff. With big, googly eyes, the ents (yes, there are many, each more embarassing than the last) always appear against an obvious bluescreen as they shamble through the forest with the hobbits. The effect is so horrendous it's hard to believe it's in the same movie as the battle of Helm's Deep and the digital Gollum. Oh well, every series must have its Jar-Jar, it seems.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>From the same review - the very last line... <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I ask only that somebody, please, burn all the ents.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-19-2002, 01:09 PM   #10
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I liked Treebeard's face, and the voice, but I have to admit I hated his legs! Somehow I never imagined ents to have such long thin legs. Oh well...
Old 12-19-2002, 01:26 PM   #11
jaz

Silmaril

Wow, that review mentioned by Red was pretty harsh. I completely disagree. I pictured the ents differently but I'm satisfied by the way they were portrayed in the movie. Although, one thing I really disliked was the way the ents decided to fight. In the movie they seemed selfish and cowardly and I never got that impression of them from the book. But nevertheless, I really liked Treebeard's voice, and I read somewhere yesterday that the actor who plays Gimli lent his voice to Treebeard, which I think is very cool!! He did a great job. Oh and I LOVED the scene where they attack Isengard!! And when they released the dam!! That was so cool!!<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: jaz ]
Old 12-19-2002, 01:49 PM   #12
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

The Ents looked absolutely brilliant. They were almost exactly like I imagined them. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Somehow I never imagined ents to have such long thin legs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I think that was done correctly. That way, if the Ents were just standing still, they really would look like just plain trees, their legs would look like the trunks.<BR>And the destruction of Isengard was wonderful. Anyone else notice that one Ent who drop-kicked an orc? And then you see Treebeard throwing these huge boulders around at the towers and orcs and such, then little Merry and Pippin up on his shoulders throwing stones and knocking orcs into the pits. CUTE!!!! Then when the Ents broke the dam. Whoa!! I can't wait to see that movie again!
Old 12-19-2002, 01:58 PM   #13
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Nianna Telmnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nianna Telmnar
Sting

the ents were very cool. agreed, they got the short end of the stick as far as scenes edited for time but the attack of the ents was very cool. i like how at the very end of the movie you see them breaking the dam and saruman standing on the balcony. you can actually see the look of smug self confidence he usually wears slip. he finally looks worried that maybe he might be in for real trouble. (sorry that was a little off topic) so all and all, the ents rule.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:58 PM   #14
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Merry and Pippin don't drink Ent-draught <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah...I wonder how PJ's going to explain their growth, and they had better grow too. <P><I>Way</I> too much walking around and not enough Entmoot and Isengard. That summoning call Treebeard makes is awesome. Just when you think it's fading, the next pitch comes in. It feels like your head is going to split.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 11:25 AM   #15
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Now that I've seen the flick, I disagree with the reviewer quoted above. The ents were very enjoyable. So there! <P>PS. jaz, who is Red?
Old 12-20-2002, 12:21 PM   #16
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Tolkien left a lot to be imagined in his description of the Ents, so that makes it very difficult to transfar to screen. In fact, when I read the book I was sure it would be the single most difficult thing they would have to do. And not only that, you know that whatever you come up with is never going to match everyone's mental picture, not by a long shot.<P>That said, I personnaly loved the way Treebeard and the Ents looked. I do not like non-Tolkienite critics bashing them, because what did they want PJ to do? Edit out the Ents altogether because they're "too" otherworldly for their cynical tastes? Give me a break!
Old 12-20-2002, 03:01 PM   #17
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved the ents. So well done, and they were hard to do. All the CGI stuff was amazing, Gollum included of course.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:30 PM   #18
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Well, if I was as low as that reviewer mentioned by Red (oops! sorry!) I would spit at him/her for having the audacity to claim that the Ents weren't brilliant.<P>He/she can't possibly have read the books.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:48 PM   #19
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I thought Treebeard looked pretty good but the other ents looked pretty goofy to me. Not quite the aged noble look I had imagined.
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 10:54 PM   #20
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

My mental image of treebeard was always unclear, so I always feared seeing a movie version of him. They did do a good job with him, I think, though all of the other ents barely looked like trees.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:01 AM   #21
ReededGoat
Animated Skeleton

ReededGoat has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought Treebeard looked great, but the other ents looked like goofy clowns. I think the whole ent thing was handled badly. If they had preserved more of Treebeard's dialogue from the book (with multiple and unusual applications of the word 'hasty'), the ents' culture would have gotten across a lot better. I can't believe that there were like ten ents at the entmoot, in a tiny clearing. Them not deciding to attack Isengard was silly - one of them would have seen the desolation by the time Merry and Pippin come along. <BR>Treebeard takes FOREVER to get across Fangorn, there are only a handful of ents at the entmoot, but the moment Treebeard yells and howls, something like fifty ents come out of the tree line all at once, like they were all just hanging out.<BR>One of the most important things about fantasy is making things believeable and consistent within the context of the fantasy itself. The ents going to war in the film was way too clumsy.<BR>And you NEVER get a sense of their great wisdom - they all seem a bit daft and goofy.
ReededGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 02:20 AM   #22
zacattack
Haunting Spirit

zacattack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I personally think that <B>Treebeard</B> was greta but they're were hardly any scenes with the Ents and the ones they were in weren't very cool.Heres a cool thing,Treebeards voice is Gimli's actor which is pretty cool.
zacattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 02:35 AM   #23
Mathom

Silmaril

I saw the midnight show tues and when Treebeard came upon the area that had been clearcut, you could have heard a pin drop. I love his roar of outrage. What I missed was the wonderful Ent War March.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:57 AM   #24
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought the Ents were just not right, the computer work was good to try and make them realistic but they looked like you could snap them in half, their legs were like sticks! They all looked really goofy and out of proportion. Treebeards voice was good though. I know lots of you disagree with me but they were just not how I imagined them at all.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:14 AM   #25
Abigail the Just

Sting

I took my 11 year old nephew to TTT. It was fun to watch it with him.<P>He thought it was neat when the Ents went to war. When one of the ents squished a orc underneath his big root foot my nephew leans over to me and whispers "I guess his bark is worse then his bite." lol<P>Abigail<p>[ January 04, 2003: Message edited by: Abigail the Just ]
Old 01-04-2003, 11:05 AM   #26
Swin

Sting

Let me be honest here. The ents were the biggest load of sheer brilliance ever to be seen in a movie.<P>Yes, I like them.<P>Go ents.