The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2002, 01:01 PM   #1
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Elijah in the Spotlight once again...

Parade Magazine had a COVER STORY of Elijah Wood in it this morning. Here is it. I am only taking time to type out the really important stuff thought. (Hey, this interview is seriously long!)<P>---------------------------------------<BR>"The movie business is really no place for children," said Elijah Wood. "I was lucky. I'm sort of an anomaly in that I made it through anscathed."<P>Wood has been making movies since he was 8. After first gaining attention in Avalon, he has grown up onscreen, playing children in The Good Son, Forever Young and North before maturing into a precious teen in The Ice Storm. He is now best known as Frodo, the young Hobbit at the center of the fantasy epic The Lord of the Rings. The second installment of this $300 million trilogy, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, opens this week. Once again, Wood confronts a succession of monstrous foes in his quest to save his world.<P>Privately, Wood has faced his own perilous journey. Most child actors flame out after short-lived careers, falling into dpression, drugs or problems with the law. I wondered how Wood, now 21 and by all accounts well adjusted, had eluded the traps Hollywood sets for its young. <P>"I've been lucky that I didn't become successful very quickly," he said. "My growth as an actor has been gradual, almost parallel to my growth as a human being. But what helped me most is that I have an amazing family."<P>Wood credits his mother-who became his unofficial manager and accompanid him on location-with keeping his growing stardom from going to his head. "From the start, my mother was diligent about making sure I was a grounded human being with the right values," he said. "It was more important who I was as a peson than what I was doing." <P>When Wood was 15, his parents divorced. It changed his relationship with his mother. "When my father left, I started providing for the family," he explained. "My mother reacted by starting to defer to me. We went through a difficult time, when our roles got kind of messed up. I finally had to say, 'Just because this help is coming from me doesn't mean I'm the head of the family. You're the mom, and you will always be my mom. All the discipline, advice and wisdom should come from you and not me.'"<BR>Though obviously mature, there is nothing jaded about Wood. He still lives at home, collects action figures and admits he can be shy around young women, especially "if I see someone as being far too beautiful or out of my league"-an extraordinary confession from someone who, since, Rings, has become one of the most famout actors in the world. <P>That film, Wood said, "is without doubt, one of the most important thing in my life." The three episodeswere shot in New Zealand over 16 months, his longest time away from home. "I was 18 when we started," he added. "and there were ceratin life experiences I didn't have, likw being on my own, being responsible for myself and not having my mom or anybody else there to fall back on. In that sense, I felt much like my character, Frodo. I was off on my own journey, carrying my own kind of ring."<BR>------------------------------------------<P>Ya like it? There were some GREAT pictures to go along with the article, but I don't know if I can find them on the internet. But I just thought I would share this will of you.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 01:08 PM   #2
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks, Eruwen!
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 02:32 PM   #3
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Oh, Eruwen, all that typing! And you could have just given the link <A HREF="http://www.parade.com/current/coverstory/index.html" TARGET=_blank>www.parade.com</A>.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:59 PM   #4
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Parade is so small, they barely have enough room for an interview like that. I almost think its a joke. Oh well, I guess it was ok. But man, look at the picture of his mom. She is ugly, yukk. And the magazine left out the fact that he was in <I>The Faculty</I>, but whatever.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 04:33 PM   #5
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

you mean there's a website? ugh. I didn't think there was. Well, it's better to just read it from here anyway. And I know what you mean, Willie. I just don't see how that guy got all those looks with a mom like that. Whoa.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 04:38 PM   #6
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

OMG! The cover of Parade is staring at me right now! Must...turn...it over...<BR>*Flips magazine over* Ah, much better...
Old 12-15-2002, 05:38 PM   #7
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

That was great! Thankyou!
Old 12-15-2002, 07:50 PM   #8
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

It was probably just a bad angle...I mean she wasn't exactly prepared for the shot. Why be so mean to Lij's mama? Where's the love man????? (I sound like a beer commercial, how frightening <I>*shudder*</I> ).
Old 12-16-2002, 01:47 PM   #9
Ebony
Pile O'Bones

Ebony has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Okay, I'm a little computerarily challenged, but where did you see a pic of Elijah's mom? All I could find was a sort of slide show show giving pix of Elijah with part of the article. Help please?
Old 12-16-2002, 05:39 PM   #10
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

The picture is not online. Its in the actual magazine that comes in the newspaper.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote