The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2002, 04:23 PM   #1
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting Metro claims Aragorn to be attracted to Eowyn...are they nuts?!

In todays metro there was a review of TTT. The reporter claimed that Aragorn was getting 'very friendly' with Eowyn, which I can only take to mean as a romantic kind of "friendly". Now am I missing something, or am I right in believing that Aragorn nly has eyes for Arwen?
Old 12-12-2002, 04:31 PM   #2
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Must admit i thort the same thing!
Old 12-12-2002, 05:38 PM   #3
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Well, to tell ya the truth, while I was reading TTT, I did think there was some attraction between the two, but it was more like that of the tired soldier who saw a pretty village girl. Basically, not all that serious. That relationship is NOT the kind you would base a marridge on. So, Arwen doesn't have anything to worry about. We know he doesn't sleep with her(Eowyn), and why would someone who is making a series of movies about virtues make one of the most important heroes cheat on his lover? <P>Besides which, the press distort thing all the time to make more sales(also just to be evil , no offense to anyone in journalism of course ), so don't be surprised. I think it will all turn out right. I admit when I first found out about the new image they made for Arwen, I got pretty mad, but I bet most of us agree that they did do that change pretty well .<p>[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: Cherie Centaur ]
Old 12-12-2002, 05:52 PM   #4
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

You will certainly be interested in <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002421" TARGET=_blank>this thread.</A><P>--Belin Ibaimendi
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 03:31 PM   #5
Jack
Haunting Spirit

Jack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hate it when people say stuff like that!!!!!!!!!!! Aragorn and Eowyn should not be alowed to even look at each other!!!
Old 10-21-2003, 03:59 PM   #6
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I hate it when people say stuff like that!!!!!!!!!!! Aragorn and Eowyn should not be alowed to even look at each other!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Um... I disagree. I think that thread was extremely intresting and I think that the element of Eowyn being in "love" with Aragorn is what makes her character's sorrows and triumphs that much more intresting. On Aragorn having feelings for Eowyn I do believe he was attracted as any man would be but nothing that he couldn't brush off and come to think of her more as a little sister type...
Old 10-21-2003, 07:19 PM   #7
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Silmaril

Aragorn wasn't interested in Eowyn in that way. He pitied her, because he knew he could never return her love. But he also knew she didn't truly love him for who he was. It was more his image she loved.<BR>Aragorn stayed completely true to Arwen.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:50 PM   #8
ladyhwi
Newly Deceased

ladyhwi has just left Hobbiton.
Eowyn is not in love with just infatuated with Aragorn as the hero. sort of like the guy in uniform thing. Aragorn does feel for her, the position she is in and an admiration for her courage and her beauty. I think the movie version hints at maybe he's thinking Arwen will leave with her people in the end and then what about me? Also how can the couragous and virtuos Movie Eowyn Ever fall for that terrible Movie Faramir. Sexual tension is good either way I suppose. Though I hope Faramir becomes a lot more deserving in ROTK, we shall see.
"I have not seen thy sunny face, Nor heard thy silver laughter: No thought of me shall find a place In thy young life's hereafter- Enough that now thou will not fail To listen to my fairy-tale." Lewis Carroll
ladyhwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:31 PM   #9
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Eowyn is not in love with just infatuated with Aragorn as the hero. sort of like the guy in uniform thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Kind of like all the girls who swoon after Orlando Bloom!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 12:43 PM   #10
Jack
Haunting Spirit

Jack has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

hehe... good point Knight of Gondor... <P>Cinderella I should tell you I was mostly over dramatizing (I should have said so tho...) It just bugs me when people think Eowyn and Aragorn were ment for each other... (Where is Arwen Please!!) cause I am Eowyn-Faramir fan, and a Arwen-Aragorn fan... but in the freindly way they can look at each other.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:53 PM   #11
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

Thanks for the free promotion, Belin. <P>The way Peter Jackson has handled Aragorn's character so far, one would only be surprised if Eowyn didn't interest him in some tiny [physical?] sense. <P>I think the key here is what exactly the term "attraction" signifies and how important it actually is to the rest of the story. <P>If an attraction is a flighty bodily impulse, it often has about <I>zero</I> importance, on the screen or on the page, besides reminding the observer of a character's inherent humanity. <P>Did Aragorn think Eowyn "fair"? You bet your As-faloth he did. Did it mean that he was thinking of ditching Arwen and pursuing his blond ambition? Nah. He loved Arwen. <P>But just because you love someone doesn't mean that you don't necessarily become stunned or even overwhelmed by another person's good looks, good character, or whatever it is you find appealing. Does that automatically translate into a betrayal of love? I highly doubt it. <P>I belive in TTT, Jackson was succesful in handling the Aragorn/Eowyn dynamic, in that he showed Aragorn to be clearly noticing her, but without that whole overdone "ooh baby baby" aspect to his gaze that would have made him seem like a cad. <P>The thing is, Jackson's interpretation of Aragorn makes him obviously human (remember the look on Viggo's face when the Ring tempts him toward the end of FotR?); he's a great man, but still a man. This is true to the spirit of the book, because while Tolkien' never explicitly got inside Aragorn's head (except for the Appendices, and even then the story was pretty detached), I don't believe he wanted us to feel that Aragorn was some sort of mythic version of a Middle-Earth saint.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:07 PM   #12
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Also, he believed that Arwen was sailing to the Undying Lands (in the film not book) which also gave his attraction to the golden haired lady some realism.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:27 PM   #13
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that is a good point to remember for the film.<P>In the book Arwen was always there waiting for Aragorn to emerge as King. Aragorn had no doubts about that and thus didn't have any leanings towards Eowyn, though he did love her and wished her happiness.<P>In the film, Aragorn thinks Arwen is leaving. Eowyn falls in love with Aragorn because of what he represents something, escape and honour. I think in the film, Aragorn may see Eowyn as a symbol as well. A symbol of a more simple relationship for him. Perhaps he he was wrong to think that he and Arwen could work. When I see him looking at Eowyn in the film, I see a desire for a simplier life, not so much a desire for her.<P>I think in the end though, PJ has to play this that Aragorn never does lose his love for Arwen and as such cannot allow himself to consider a relationship with Eowyn.<P>H.C.