The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-08-2002, 05:29 AM   #1
Manwe
Haunting Spirit

Manwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Why cut the whole hand?

I've been thinking quite a lot about when Maedrohs was hanging in the tower wathever-it-name-was and Fingon came and rescued him by cutting his hand of. Isn't it enough to cut the thumb? I think that Maedrohs would be able to pull out his hnd then.

(Title spelling edited by moderator)

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
Old 01-08-2002, 08:29 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sting

Maedhros was bound by his wrist, tightly enough that his full weight was not sufficient to pull his hand through. Cutting off the thumb couldn't have made much difference.
Also, being that Fingon was sitting on a hovering eagle at the time, it would probably have been difficult to only hit the thumb without taking several fingers.

[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: Inziladun ]
Old 01-08-2002, 09:56 AM   #3
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually Thorondor only carried Fingon up to Maedhros - after that Fingon now climped on Maedhros, hanging from his sholders, still Maedhros arm held the presure. Then he (Fingon) pulled out his Swiss knife, extracted the little saw, and slowly sawed Maedhros hand off below the wrist - who by now - belivet it or not - was in very great pain. However, when Fingon had finished his task, both he and Maedhros suddenly experienced the delightful feeling of 'Free Fall' - This is where Thorondor, having greater wits than those mighty elflords, desided to take action - again! and carried them away to Hithlum.

Sorry for the irony! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2002, 02:04 PM   #4
Dréw

Sting

Nice summary [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2002, 09:29 PM   #5
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Very nice indeed. So that's where swiss knives came from! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 04:48 AM   #6
Manwe
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

||||
|||| |
\|||/

Ok, this is a hand, now if you cut the thumb it will look like this:

||||
||||
\|||

As you see if the thumb is cut of, you can probably pull out the hand.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:48 AM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sting

I tried this with handcuffs. If this is your hand:

||||
|||| |
\|||/

Then cutting off the thumb would only give you:

||||
||||
\|||/

You'd still have that ridge of bone in the way, unless you just ripped out the base of the thumb too like tearing off a drumstick.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:36 AM   #8
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

What a delightfully gory discussion.
Actually, even cutting off the thumb as far as the wrist probably wouldn't make a hand fit through a sufficiently tight restraint: The hand's wider than the wrist on both sides, so as to accommodate all four fingers.

Mind you, I think Fingon was a little restricted by not having a set of surgical instruments to hand, so to speak. Bit difficult to do the fiddly stuff without a scalpel.

Perhaps somebody can remind me whether or not something was done to the cliff to stop it being eroded or chipped. Otherwise it's a job for a mason, not a surgeon.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh; 12-02-2005 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Replaced defunct smiley with a working one
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 01:04 PM   #9
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up

Quote:
But Fingon could not release the hell-wrought bond upon his wrist, nor sever it, nor draw it from the stone.
I guess we may reckon that Morgoth put a little mojo on the “band of steel” around Maedhros’s wrist for added insurance against escape. Don’t forget that there was probably quite a bit of swelling around that wrist from weeks (months?) of hanging around. Also note that Fingon apparently first sought to gain entry to Angband, assuming Maedhros would be inside, and thus neglected to bring his surgical kit as the Squatter has already mentioned.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 07:47 PM   #10
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

You are all forgetting that he had some trusty arrowheads with him. Precise enough and sharp enough to make fine cuts. And also, his sword was no turkey slicer. It could cut through bone in a jiffy.

But, as was said before, the hand trying to be cut off precisely was probably swollen. That just complicates things. And Melkors spell probably would stop his hand from being dragged through anyhow.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:58 PM   #11
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

i think that he merely cut it off with his sword being elf-wrought and all those swords were real spiffy and sharp so he wouldn't need a saw or arrow heads and it may have even been a dagger. By the way inzildun.... i hope you didn't really cut your thumb off for the hand cuff demonstration... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2002, 01:12 AM   #12
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Sting

No, didn't quite get to that point. Just got the cuffs and put one on.
And in case anyone was curious, I do have a legitimate reason for having them. Just a tool of the trade. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2002, 04:52 AM   #13
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Remember that Fingon was in a hurry, and in no position to debate whether to cut up the thumb, or a finger, or rip out the base of the thumb; he was unlawfully inside the most heavily fortified fortress in Middle-Earth. A hand without a thumb isn't much use anyway.
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 05:20 AM   #14
Manwe
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

You have a point there but I think if you just cut the thumb you could probably construct some kind of hook and place it where the thumb uesd to be and you can grip just fine. And to all of you that says that you can't pull out the hand after a neat thumb-cut, have you seen the X-files episode with the cancer-eating man? Ok, I'm not saying that X-files is realistic but there he get caught and they set cuffs on him. Then he tored of his thumb (ouch!) and escaped easy as pie. Of course then FBI don't have any nasty spells on their cuffs, but what ever. And by the way you got about 0.5 cm soft stuff on each side of the hand before you hit the bone. Ok, I admit it'll hurt a bit to tear it of out of a cuff, but he can keep his hand and probably heal just fine.

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Manwe ]
Old 01-10-2002, 01:47 PM   #15
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Thumbs up

I always pictured the band of steel to be a thick manacle that extended down the forearm as opposed to a slender policeman's handcuff. That is, I think it would be difficult to shove the thing down on the forearm in order to perform extended surgery on the thumb. Other considerations aside, I think a quick, clean whack to the wrist/upper forearm would be less painful than trying to carve the thumb out of its socket.

Inzila, I'm curious as to whether or not you're still holding to your vow to abstain from the movie. How's that going?
Old 01-10-2002, 04:17 PM   #16
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Sting

As of now I still haven't seen it, despite pressure from friends. I've been cheating somewhat and looking at the reaction threads though. I'll admit I'm somewhat curious, but still not really enthused.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:17 PM   #17
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

By just chopping the thumb off wouldn't work. It would have to have been cut down from between the thumb and forefinger all the way down to the wrist, then the manacle would have been in thew way of finishing it off.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 01:12 AM   #18
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Sting

Just studying my own wrist here, it actually becomes thinner after the hand, and then gets thicker again as you reach the forearm.
||||
||||
/||||\/
\||||/
||| Start of wrist
|| Continuation of wrist (exagerated)
||| End of wrist
|||| Start of Forearm

If the manacle was tightly around 'Continuation of wrist (exagerated)' then cuting off the thumb might not make any difference.

Also, Maedhros was starved and bony by that stage, so there wouldn't have been all that much soft tissue in his hand and wrist, although the same amount of bone. So we can change 'Continuation of wrist (exagerated)' to just 'Continuation of wrist', in this case, because the soft tissue filling out 'continuation of wrist (exagerated)' largely wouldn't be there.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:39 AM   #19
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Aside from the other considerations, I think that Tolkien's sense of style played a part here. It's more mythic, heroic and impressive (ie simpler) just to cut off the entire hand with one sword-stroke than to take an arrowhead and start slicing pieces from the hand; besides causing poor Maedhros a great deal more pain, as Mister Underhill has pointed out.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:19 PM   #20
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Sting

I'd be willing to endure some pain in order to save some of the use of my hand.
Old 01-12-2002, 06:42 AM   #21
Yaish
Pile O'Bones

Yaish has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yaish
Sting

Dont forget that Meadhros was begging for death, not once but twice. Fingon was probably just a lot more worried about getting his friend out of there alive than if he would have a whole hand or not. Anyway he went on to be a more accomplished swordsman with the left anyway, so I guess it turned out 'all right'
Yaish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 10:16 AM   #22
Manwe
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

But you must addmit that it would be better if he was verry good with his left hand and good with his right rather than just have a left.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:59 PM   #23
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

Quote:
But you must admit that it would be better if he was very good with his left hand and good with his right rather than just have a left.
True. It would also have been nice for Maedhros if he hadn't been put on that cliff in the first place, but Dark Lords will be Dark Lords. Losing a hand is still better than the fate he'd chosen for himself, which is probably how Morgoth would have preferred him to escape.

BTW I think that Maedhros got off lightly: Imagine if he'd been held up by a band round his thigh; or his neck; or some far more personal part of his anatomy. That really would be nasty.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:59 PM   #24
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well this doesnt answer any questions, but I came across this picure today and thought you might like a look.

URL=http://demon.unh.edu/images/tolkien/tn_silm/tn_silm_07.jpg]Maedhros's Rescue from Thangorodrim.[/URL]
Old 01-15-2002, 09:02 PM   #25
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maedhros's Rescue from Thangorodrim
Old 01-17-2002, 05:46 AM   #26
Manwe
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

If it was as in that picture it was a broad band. I've marked it with x in this picture and as you see cut the thumb and you're free.

||||
||||
/||||\/
\||||/
|||x Start of wrist
|| x Continuation of wrist(exagerated)
||| x End of wrist
||||x Start of Forearm
Old 03-18-2002, 02:07 PM   #27
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Mhoram has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The things we analyze here...
Mhoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 12:48 PM   #28
Gorin Icearms
Haunting Spirit

Gorin Icearms has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Ouch, a painful thread we have here. I was wondering why he didn't just cut the chain or whatever was attached to the manacles. In the Hobbit, Gandalf cuts the chains with little or no effort. Surely a great Elf such as Fingon could do that?

Oh hey, I'm a wight now. WORSHIP ME IN ALL MY WIGHTNESS!!! MUAHAHAHA!!
Gorin Icearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 01:26 PM   #29
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Mhoram has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Read the Silmarilion, he couldn't.
Mhoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 05:07 PM   #30
Airetalathwen
Animated Skeleton

Airetalathwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Airetalathwen
Sting

It's very heroic to have your hand cut off, when you think about it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I mean, he's are so caught up in the drama of this rescue that it never occured to Fingon to try to salvage his friend's hand.

Besides, he would not have been able to weild a sword without his thumb anyway, and would still have to use his left hand.

~Airetalathwen
Old 03-20-2002, 04:52 AM   #31
Manwe
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Oh, the old thumb-cutting thing again. Well, to the last reply, and I'm quite sure that I explained that, you could probably have a fixed metall-claw on the hand instead of thumb. Then I think you would be able to hold a sword just fine. I don't think you have to move your thumb so much when you're fighting with a sword.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:47 AM   #32
Amarinth
Wight

Amarinth has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

yyrrggghhh! you guys are fantastically gross...this thread is totally for the hannibal lecter website! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] NOW i'm thinking if hannibal were there, he could've just chomped off...yyrrgggghhh! this thread can ruin you!

btw, since someone mentioned arm-cutting being the more theatrical resolution to maedhros' hang-up, i was kind of reminded about another thread here about the originality of tolkien's works...perhaps he was trying to do a captain hook with maedhros?

---------------------------------------------
every man's life is a path to the truth -- hesse
Old 03-20-2002, 10:21 AM   #33
Airetalathwen
Animated Skeleton

Airetalathwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Airetalathwen
Sting

Come on, being able to weild a sword with a little thumb hook?? Swords are heavy. And to weild them with skill you need your whole hand for minute balance changes and maximum grip, etc. I mean, he would be able to pick it up and stuff, but to weild it like the pros, I think he still would have to learn how to use his left hand.

Haha, Captain Maedhros!

~Airetalathwen
Old 03-21-2002, 05:24 AM   #34
Manwe
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Ok, I might have been a bit naive, he could probably not use his hand to fight with swords, but it's at least better to have a thumb-less hand rather than no hand.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:55 AM   #35
Ahanarion
Haunting Spirit

Ahanarion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

His hand might have been so tightly bound that it was deprived of oxygen so long it was dead. Who wants a dead hand with no thumb.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:38 AM   #36
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like your point Ahanarion!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
And to the whole thread: why discuss it so deeply? Maedhros' hand was cut of, and we can't do anything about it... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 07:32 AM   #37
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

This could all depend on the type of manacle he was hanging from.If it was very thick and tight then cutting off the tumb wouldn't have done much good. If the manacle wasn't exceptionally tight then he could have done what Finn McCumhail did, swell his wrist. It's not very difficult and once he was hanging there he could let his wrist go back to normal and leg it. Of course some manacles had spikes digging into the prisioners wrist, in Morgoth's infinite cruelty I think he would have used this and in this case cutting off the hand and some of the forearm would have been necessary.

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 09:44 AM   #38
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Pipe

Quote:
And to the whole thread: why discuss it so deeply?
To which I reply: why not? This sort of thread is what the Downs are all about!

Now I wonder, when Azog beheaded Thrór, do you suppose his beard was also severed? I suppose it would depend (at least in part) on whether the stroke fell from the front or the back...

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: Mister Underhill ]
Old 07-25-2002, 12:01 PM   #39
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

lol Mister Underhill [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]!

Did anyone see that episode of the Simpsons where the fans are asking the lady that does the voice of Itchy and Scratchy those ridiculous questions and Fan #1 asks, "In episode #*** Itchy dismembers Scratchy and plays two different notes on the same rib-bone. Now, you don't expect us to believe that it was some sort of magic xylophone, do you?" And all the other obsessed fans laugh. It immediately recalled to me the obscenely complex and irrelevant queries so often posted by my fellow Wights here on the Downs.

Sorry if that was off-topic, but after reading the tenth or so explanation of how Maedhros' hand couldn've been severed to save the most hand, I couldn't help but chuckle.

Lovely diagrams, by the way. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 12:25 PM   #40
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

I don't think that Thror's beard would have been severed unless there was something solid underneath it to prevent it from just getting pushed out of the way by the sword-stroke. Perhaps his head was cut off on a block with his beard moved out of the way. Although I imagine that it would be a big insult to a Dwarf to have his beard cut so Azog may have done that with the intent to insult.

Obsessive?! Who's obsessive!?! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Edit from a couple hours later: Duh! Stupid me was thinking of Nain when I first posted. Must learn to pay closer attention.
[img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: Kuruharan ]