The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2002, 01:14 PM   #1
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye Concerning Sauron

I am asking a question of which I do not know, or do not remember if it is told in any detail during my readings.

Does anyone know exactly what Sauron's "Fair Form" was and what it looked like other than the very vague fair? I know it was destroyed when Numenor was destroyed and he made the form of the Darklord shortly after.

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: GreyIstar ]

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 01:18 PM   #2
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not that I am aware of, though I am unaware of a lot.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:06 PM   #3
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Tolkien never described Sauron's "fair" form. He only gave a rather vague description of his terrible form. That was probably deliberate.

I would assume that there would be certain similarities between the two forms. The fair form was probably rather tall and majestic.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:24 PM   #4
GreyIstar
Wight

Sting

I was just wondering if I missed something somewhere. I would imagine it is an noble form that one could look at with out fear. I imagine just seeing Sauron's terrible form would cause everyone but the most brave to freeze with utter fear.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
Old 09-16-2002, 07:48 PM   #5
Mithuial
Animated Skeleton

Mithuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mithuial
Sting

I'm always a little grateful for vague discriptions because it forces me to use my imagination and I get to make Sauron's "fair form" look however I want. There are other times though that I really wish he would've expanded on someone or something. He's usually very thorough, though
"And Maglor answered: 'If it be truly the Silmaril which we saw cast into the sea that rises again by the power of the Valar, then let us be glad; for its glory is seen now by many, and is yet secure from all evil.' Then the Elves looked up, and despaired no longer, but Morgoth was filled with doubt." -The Silmarillion.
Mithuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 07:50 PM   #6
Mithuial
Animated Skeleton

Mithuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mithuial
Sting

lol, I think everyone coulda figured this out, but when I say "he" I mean Tolkien not Sauron. I was reading over my post after I posted it and it sounded kinda funny. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"And Maglor answered: 'If it be truly the Silmaril which we saw cast into the sea that rises again by the power of the Valar, then let us be glad; for its glory is seen now by many, and is yet secure from all evil.' Then the Elves looked up, and despaired no longer, but Morgoth was filled with doubt." -The Silmarillion.
Mithuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 08:57 PM   #7
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I imagined it like some tall, white form, very beautiful to look at like fire or lightning, but dangerous too.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 09:29 AM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Do you imagine Sauron appeared a bit like a Man? It was when he survived the lightning strike that men called him a God so I don't think he would look too unusual before.

Slightly off topic but I thought that the Valar may have appeared similar to Elves while among the Elves. Is this possible or is it way wrong?
Old 09-17-2002, 11:28 AM   #9
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is from the (much to my dismay) early abandoned story The Lost Road in HoME V, Sauron's coming to Númenór:

"Upon that ship which was cast highest and stood dry upon a hill there was a man, or one in man's shape, but greater than any even of the race of Numenor in stature.
'He stood upon the rock and said: "This is done as a sign of power. For I am Sauron the mighty, servant of the Strong" (wherein he spoke darkly). "I have come. Be glad, men of Numenor, for I will take thy king to be my king, and the world shall be given into his hand.
'And it seemed to men that Sauron was great; though they feared the light of his eyes. To many he appeared fair, to others
terrible; but to some evil. But they led him to the king, and he was humble before Tarkalion."
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 01:05 PM   #10
GreyIstar
Wight

Sting

That sounds like what I imagined. Someone who seemed powerful and high in stature and depending on how keene a person's perception was let you see beneath all the fairness.