The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-22-2003, 04:56 AM   #1
rudeboy
Animated Skeleton

rudeboy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Theres one thing I dont understand?

In the book "Tolkien companion", it says if Sauron regained the one ring, he would then be able to control the wearers of the 3 elven rings minds and look into there hearts, and all that has been wrought with them laid bare to him- even if they hid them again. So what if before Sauron regained the one Galadrial, Elrond & Gandalf left their rings in Middle-earth and left for the undying lands? What would happen then?
rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 05:24 AM   #2
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Middle Earth would fall under Sauron's control, whether those three were there at the time, or not.

-Menelien
Old 10-22-2003, 08:59 PM   #3
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I don't think that Sauron would have had much use for the Elven Rings, except to bring all of the Elves remaining in Middle-earth under his dominion, because they weren't made "for him." The Gwaith-i-Mirdain crafted those rings for the Elves, with Elven purposes. At best, Sauron would have been able to see into the minds of Elves, but he wouldn't have been able to twist the Rings to his own purposes.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 03:47 PM   #4
Maethorien
Animated Skeleton

Maethorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think location is pretty much irrelevant to rings of power, so I think the effects would be basically the same.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:00 PM   #5
Westerly Wizard
Haunting Spirit

Westerly Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf, Elrond, and Galadriel would have been considered to be forsaking Middle-earth. Galadriel had been banned, she could not have returned at the time--her ban was only lifted with the refusal of the One Ring and her help of the Ringbearer. Gandalf had been sent from the West to aid Middle-earth. His mission hardly would have been fulfilled if he had just given up and gone back into the West: he perhaps would not have been welcomed back (and i don't think I need that perhaps).
Old 10-26-2003, 02:49 AM   #6
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's disputable, Westerly Wizard. In UT Tolkien presents both this idea, and the possibility that she had set her own ban, and does not clarify the matter.
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote