The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-16-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Blood of the Westernesse

How does the blood of the Westernesse pass down in generations? I just read that Faramir has more of this blood than Boromir. How does the younger have more than the elder?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:55 PM   #2
The Dark Elf
Haunting Spirit

The Dark Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Dark Elf
The Eye

i think they just ment he acted more like a westernesse than Boromir
Old 01-17-2004, 01:50 PM   #3
Elassar 516

Elassar 516 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

No I think it's possible, it would really mean that his DNA would be closer to the DNA of the Numenoriens.
Elassar 516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 04:16 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

The Dark Elf, you are rather mistaken. The term "Westernesse" refers to the island of Numenor itself, not to the people who lived there.

Look at it this way, sometimes genetic traits skip generations or siblings. For example, if your father has black hair and your mother has blond hair, you can have black hair and your sibling can have blond hair, but still be your sibling. The inheritance of the "Blood of Westernesse" works the same way. By the time of the Third Age, it was so diluted, especially in Gondor, that it probably skipped generations and siblings like crazy. Denethor had it, but he used it to look into others' minds and judge them harshly. Faramir had it, but he used it to understand others, not judge them. Unfortunately, Denethor loved Boromir more, and the fact that Faramir was that much more "powerful" than his brother probably contributed to the bitterness with which Denethor treated Faramir.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote