The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-11-2002, 07:10 PM   #1
WarBringer
Wight

WarBringer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Why a Ring?

why did sauron want rings of power?why not swords or daggers?
Old 12-11-2002, 07:28 PM   #2
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

Er...maybe I'm just stupid but I don't think there was a reason, why not cheeses of power?
Old 12-11-2002, 07:28 PM   #3
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Easier to keep track, less threatening...who'd think a piece of jewelry had the power to destroy Middle-earth?
Old 12-11-2002, 07:59 PM   #4
The Shadow In The East
Pile O'Bones

The Shadow In The East has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i think it was becuase he needed something handy and comfortable. you can loose a sword and eat cheese but a ring was always on your finger.
The Shadow In The East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 08:01 PM   #5
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Easier to keep track of? That would explain why Sauron couldn't figure that it was in Mordor when Frodo and Sam had it. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Just kidding. I say cheeses of power wouldn't work, someone would eat it and never figure out.

Nevermind.
Aylwen [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2002, 08:04 PM   #6
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Yummmmmmmmmmm...cheeses of power...oh i get it now [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2002, 08:08 PM   #7
The Shadow In The East
Pile O'Bones

Sting

wait if someone ate the cheese would you have to cast them into mount doom, and how would saulron use that person for power, would he have to eat him?

Would cheese be fermented in mount doom instead of forged.

WOW the the cheese of power brings up alot of interesting questions!
Old 12-11-2002, 08:14 PM   #8
The Shadow In The East
Pile O'Bones

Sting

were would saulron get evil milk to make this evil cheese, from evil cows?

Who would milk these evil cows, the Nazgul?

Why cheese why not just straight milk? you would not need to ferment it like cheese so you could use it right away!
Old 12-11-2002, 08:20 PM   #9
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Sting

AHHHHH! So many questions need answers! Maybe the magic cheese fairy can help uS!!
Old 12-11-2002, 08:20 PM   #10
Himantowen

Silmaril

I think is was because the rings were things of beauty. Easier to deceive people with than weapons or food.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:22 PM   #11
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Someone should make a "The Cheese of Power" thread in Middle-earth Mayhem...this is too funny.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:23 PM   #12
The Shadow In The East
Pile O'Bones

Sting

the cheese fairy that turns milk into cheese like in the kraft cheese commmericials!
Old 12-11-2002, 08:27 PM   #13
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Yep! Thats the one ^.^ Oooooo Evil cheese fairy! ><
Old 12-11-2002, 08:33 PM   #14
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

We'd better calm this down and try to get back on topic before one of the mods locks this for becoming a chat room....

Rings were easier to make, not to mention it fit with the people who were making them. The Noldor elves of Eregion were skilled at smithing, but if Annatar had asked them to make him some "magic" swords, they might become a little suspiscious of some impending war. With a ring, it's just a useful little trinket.

Besides, how could Frodo sneak (or even carry) the One Tower Shield or the One Longsword into Mordor?
Old 12-11-2002, 08:59 PM   #15
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

My opinion about this is here.

--Belin Ibaimendi

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 09:35 PM   #16
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

On a more serious point he really wasn,t the one who chose the shape. When the rings were being made by the elves he was pretending to be there just to help them with their labours. Sauron would of sounnded kinda supicous if he suggestd to the elves that they should make their peacefull magical artifacts in the shape of weapons. When he made the one ring he decieded that a ring should be used to control all the other rings. Sounds logical right.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 12:29 AM   #17
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Good points. But I think the ring was chosen because yes it is smaller and it does signify power. Where as a sword or another weapon, well, is just a weapon. And it wouldn'r make sense either. It would be esier to have sword knocked out of your hands then to have a ring knocked off your finger. Rings go around forever and don't end, just like power, and the one ring looked plain. But actually it was more fine and perfect and universal, since it looked the same on any given part of it. And think of wedding rings. When a couple walks around with it on, it shows that they belong to each other and its kind of saying 'hands off' to others. The one ring was saying 'hands off' to others concerning power. Rings to me seem much more simpler and complex at the same time, so all in all, to me rings seem special. And rings are more of an accesory. It adds special attributes to the possesor. If you've ever played Diablo I or II, you'll know what I'm talking about. The ring will give you special effects and attributes depending on what it is. A weapon will mainly increase your offense. And if its a ruling ring, then its has to be better and more universal to your attributes. I'm getting confused myself so I'll stop.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 12:40 AM   #18
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

In the thread Belin showed, someone said it was because the dwarves, elves, and humans were making rings. True. Without the other rings, the title wouldn't work. Actually, it might be Lord of the Ring (instead of rings). But that's not the point (about the other rings). If tolkien were to choose a sword instea of the ruling ring, then he would have written that the dwarves, elves, and men were making swords also. And why did he keep the one ring a ring just like the other rings? Because it shows that the one ring is so powerful. Its the one ring and the others are called the lesser rings. Also, if the dwarves, elves, and men were making swords, while sauron made the one ring, then the ring wouldn't be the ruling ring. There would be no other rings for it 'rule' and wouldn't it be called The lord of the swords or the ring: the lord of the swords? It wouldn't work and it would sound stupid. Without the other rings, the one ring wasn't as special. I think that tolkien was trying to emphasize the importance and power of the one ring.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 01:24 AM   #19
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Two threads with exactly the same title - that could be confusing! The link which Belin gave is to a discussion on the Books forum; please continue with serious contributions there. If you want to go on with the funny side of the topic, the Middle-earth Mayhem forum is the perfect place to do it. This thread is closed.

[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote