The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-21-2002, 02:30 PM   #1
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Eye Ways you've changed since LOTR

This is more for those of us new to Tolkien and LOTR, but anybody else would be welcome to answer!! How have you changed since you became a LOTR and Tolkien fan? For me, my desire to write has greatly increased, and my writing style has changed a bit. My taste in clothes has changed quite a bit, too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I look for clothes that look more elvish. My computer has also changed, as now it has LOTR pics and sounds. I also want to grow my hair out long, that way it will look more romantic and elvish [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I look forward to hearing y'alls replies! Oh, I also want pointy ears. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Arwen
Old 10-21-2002, 02:41 PM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

You can see a topic with this same discussion HERE

I know that there are many more as well, and you can probably find them with a search...

This is just to let you know because people have posted there who may not post here.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 10:30 AM   #3
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

Since becoming a Tolkien fan I find myself analyzing details of books more carefully and noticing more foreshadowing and such. It's amazing how much Tolkien put into his books that hint at things. Such as Frodo telling Gollum next time he touched him he would be cast into the fires of Mount Doom. ^_^ But yes I have most of all Alan Lee's works for wallpaper(plus a few from the movies.) Me and some of my friends have Lord of the Rings dicussions and even a bit of role-playing when in the mood. Oh yeah, and I own a pair of elf ears. XD

[ October 24, 2002: Message edited by: Sleeping Beauty ]
Old 10-24-2002, 11:59 AM   #4
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

elf ears?? Oh, I want to get some!! I don't do Halloween, so I'm looking for another good excuse to buy some elf ears. Hopefully I'll find a good reason soon...
Arwen
Old 10-24-2002, 06:25 PM   #5
Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood Send a message via AIM to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Sting

Yepi can very much say my life has changed since lord of the rings. My talking has i would talk ery more descriptive in a way. And i've gotten very weird this past year lol! Oh well it's worth it. Well clothes have changed colors. It's either green, gold, or autumny colors you know light colorsof the forest.

well happy trails......
Aengthrea
Old 10-24-2002, 07:29 PM   #6
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I can barely remember a time when I wasn't being exposed to Tolkien's writings in some form so I probably just haven't noticed all the changes [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. The only one that strikes me at the moment is that I find it absolutely impossible to read most other fantasy novels because after a while they all seem like weak, watered-down versions of LOTR, and why drink 3% when strong wine like LOTR itself is available?

This isn't really fair to the other authors, since Tolkien almost invented their genre as well as inventing or at least shaping almost every archetype in that genre. The orphaned hero, the faithful servant, the fatal object, the one who falls by pride, the sin of long ago that must now be paid for, etc etc etc - there's no way on earth to write a fantasy and not put at least one of these things in it. So I guess you could say Tolkien has made me a fantasy snob [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Ah well. At least I still have HoME to get through, and the Silmarillion continues to elude me in many ways, so it's not like I have everything of his memorized or anything.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:58 PM   #7
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One way I've changed is that I haven't stopped reading Tolkien so I'm not sure how others will compare when I read outside of JRRT again. I try to be braver and more loyal to friends. I also feel I should be in better shape in case I'm called upon to participate in a quest, thing of somesort. One never knows. I look for the characters' qualities on people I know and meet. Hard for most to match-up.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:42 AM   #8
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

The way Tolkien changed me was in the way I look at the natural world. Long ago, in the first age (in 1976!) I read LotR for the first time. I'd never paid much attention to nature. But after that reading I became deeply aware of it. Now I can't walk through a wood without feeling a kind of Elvishness about it, or walk through farmland without a sense of Hobbits being just out of sight. In other words, I see the whole natural world through 'Tolkien coloured spectacles'.
Does that make sense to anyone? I also became interested in history & folkore. I also discovered a sense of 'Englishness', an identification with the Land - not in a Political/jingoistic sense - just in the sense of feeling 'connected with the land I was born in. I'm a different & I hope, a better person because of Tolkien.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 02:57 AM   #9
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Since reading Tolkiens works, I have began wishing really hard that i was an elf!!! Obviously not gonna happen but i can still dream! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2002, 06:56 AM   #10
Thalionkrisiel

Sting

I can say I have spent a lot of money on books! Have also bought posters and had them framed, which cost a bit! Apart from spending, have completely lotr-ised my pc. I wish desperately that I was an elf, and I spend way too much time searching for lotr related info online!!
Have met some interesting people as well [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2002, 07:07 AM   #11
Ringannunwen
Animated Skeleton

Ringannunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i have changed so dramaticaly!
i've spent more money on books as well i suppose, actually i know i have.
i wish i was an elf too! i love all the characters - some more than others - and have watched the movie heaps! i have met some people so weird too - almost as strange as me, and thats saying something!
Old 10-26-2002, 02:01 PM   #12
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

since lotr, i have thought of nothing else day and night. my mind is constantly in middle earth, and i re-enact moria everytime i come down my stairs.

my walls are covered in pictures, i buy magazines even if they just have a teeny weeny movie review on lotr, and i am now an elf, not a human.

im now writing my own novel - which i intended to do but never actually started fully until after lotr- and ive written tons of fan fic.

my style is more elvish, ive taught myself to fight, and ive blown all my cash on action figures and dvds that i dont actually need.

i have quotes from the book and movie all over the place, my bedroom door has the moria door writing on it, and i have all the movie guides and book extras, etc.

im obsessed with celeborn [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2002, 02:25 PM   #13
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I know what y'all mean about wishing you were an elf!! I desperatly want to be one, and believe I actually am a short elf without pointy ears. Now if only I could find some pointy ears... I have the elves love of nature, and get this deep longing to live in a place like Rivendell, and go out in the woods, or live in the woods.
Arwen
Old 10-26-2002, 03:33 PM   #14
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i am deluded [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

i am positive i have pointy ears

and im graceful, which helps [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

and i prefer silent forests and streams, and all

i am an elf [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2002, 09:30 PM   #15
Gayametwen
Pile O'Bones

Gayametwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

-.-" decisions....I read change a bit after every book..but what way...I don't know....^^;; I think I've become more sane...I'm usually less organised...:P But then IS sanity good for me? I think...I find myself argueing less...I don't care much..and I don't really care what other people are doing...their conflicts with other people..and I'm more optimistic...and I no-longer pick at people's bad habits..I might tease them..but I don't go RARARA! *scream and carry on* etc. at them and stuff....and...I'm not so...o.O like I dunno...like my frineds...I don't argue or pick at other poeple and be pesimistic...o.O I'm just wierd now...I'm ....different...yes..i think..yup!
Old 10-27-2002, 09:06 AM   #16
Mlo
Haunting Spirit

Mlo has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After reading LotR I've changed quite much, for example, I'm obsessed with everything about LotR. And when I walk through a forest (there is a kind of forest-park near our home) I always think how it would look if it was mallorn trees there instead of ordinary trees. I'm also much more at the net, and I think I've been much more interested in celtic stuff and all that. Me and one of my friends are both LotR crazy, I have a feeling I made her like that becouse of my endless LotR talking [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img], and we always talk about how it would be in ME, or if we could meet someone from there... I guess my life has changed very much... Oh, and I draw much, much more than before...

I also love the sea, and forests, anything elf reminding. I think I've been much more quiet than before, and even my music taste had changed. When I think about it, I've really changed alot....

[ October 27, 2002: Message edited by: Mlo ]
Mlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 11:43 AM   #17
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

For one thing, the way I write and the way I often talk have changed (I often find myself sounding like Gimli when I'm angry)---I tend to talk and write the way Tolkien writes his narratives and dialogues. The elves have influenced me, in a way that makes me desire to never stop learning. Gandalf reached out to me and taught me a certain level of patience when it comes to waiting for his arrivals in the books. Heck! all of them have become role models for me!

Most significantly, my reading experience has changed. I believe JRRT has set a standard for imagination---in its extreme sense.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 01:37 PM   #18
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dűm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
For some reason, I have become much more hyper. I really don't know how that happened, but it did! It changed the way I talk (and also the way I write, I guess. I don't write often enough to notice that.) My computer has become full of all things LotR, and now it is almost too full to run properly (oh well, completely my fault.) I have become a bit...Gollumish. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] I go for walks in the forest a bit more frequently. Fun fun fun. And look at the big trees. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] I try to become a nazgul. (doesn't work! My pony doesn't come with that speed!)
Old 10-27-2002, 07:12 PM   #19
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

hehehe....all of you are nuts. Just kidding. I quite agree, your life changes when you read them. Your mind is open to whole new ideas, planes of existence, and ways to torture your friends by quoting elvish. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] You also start to roleplay as your character(Frodo)and you start to ponder things, like what did Gandalf say to Frodo when he wakes up after the ring is destroyed. (I am working on that fanfic, btw. -_-) I am glad the movies were made so we can draw in more people. I have friends who love fantasy and haven't even read the books! *groans* I did my best. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas about what Gandalf said, pass them my way. I want to know what other people think on the subject. Thanks!

[ October 27, 2002: Message edited by: Sleeping Beauty ]
Old 10-27-2002, 07:57 PM   #20
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Sting

For one I am now proud to be a hobbit! I'm short and have realy big feet. I were hobbitish clothes (bright) and Take longer walks in the woods.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:34 PM   #21
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would do almost anything to be an elf!!!walk in the woods.....learn archery....anyway to the point.
Since LOTR i can say i have changed though i'm not sure how much...The way i talk(i know like using big words and speaking more eloquently!!)
The way i walk...i try to be more graceful...also like someone said i find trying to keep fit just in case...(aah one can dream)
After the soundtrack for the movie my taste in music has changed....more instrumental...
And i wish i could cover my PC with LOTR stuff but my family would kill me...and i have 1or 2 things for my room and i wish i could have more but not enough money to blow....finally i find nature like waterfalls and stuff more interesting and peaceful.....I wish i was an ELF!!!!!

-------------------------
Genie:you have 3 wishes
Me:Make me an Elf pleeze.....oh yeah world peace and stuff like no poverty

[ October 28, 2002: Message edited by: busybee ]

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: busybee ]
Old 10-29-2002, 05:49 AM   #22
Mlo
Haunting Spirit

Mlo has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Heheh, forgot to say that I also go around singing songs from LotR. Like, The lay of Beren and Luthien and The road goes ever on and on. Or I just whistle it, or hum it.... [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Mlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 10:03 AM   #23
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
Sting

Yeah like Mlo said about the poems and stuff also i go around humming songs from the movie soundtrack
Old 10-30-2002, 01:23 PM   #24
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I've changed...
I've grown older. (Okay, I would've done so anyway, but in another way.) I've turned more open to the world, also in the sence that I read more different authors. I used to read stuff from two persons or so, until I discovered Tolkien; now I read anything fantasy [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] and more English.
I've turned dreamier, and I believe more in (most) people. And I'm now able to laugh at myself (mostly because of the Downs, but it's still LotR) And I use bigger words. I've also received a better writing style. (5 A's out of six essays have to be impressing when you know my teacher! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )And I'm not perfect at all, but I'm able to realize it.
And anybody else than myself would have trouble to see how these changes have anything to do with LotR. I'll explain when I know. But in almost everything I do, I think of Tolkien. Aaah, I better stop now, before I get too far into something I won't be able to explain myself out of. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] It's too late in the night to be awake... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 03:06 PM   #25
Laurelin
Animated Skeleton

Laurelin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Laurelin
Sting

Ways I've changed hmmm...
I only read Fantasy books now, and I'm always talking about LOTR always, always, always etc. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2002, 03:38 PM   #26
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Quote:
And anybody else than myself would have trouble to see how these changes have anything to do with LotR.
I know what you mean! I understand how my changing is associated with LOTR, but nobody else would. Well, a few of my friends might, if I explained it. But only because they're big LOTR fans. I doubt my parents would understand, as they've just seen the movie.
Arwen
Old 10-30-2002, 03:42 PM   #27
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

*My* life certainly changed quite a bit! I met the Barrow-Wight, found the Downs forum and chat, and started a web-store for Lord of the Rings items! Now I have absolutely no free time at all!
Old 10-31-2002, 12:19 PM   #28
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Arwen1858: My parents didn't even do that! I just have to say "LotR" and they go absolutely crazy... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Thenamir: That's a cool way of "changing"! And you're helping others to get changed... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 09:22 AM   #29
Ainalondwen
Pile O'Bones

Ainalondwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, where to begin...

I read the full trilogy after watching FOTR and loved it.

After Tolkein, I decided to try and read another fantasy writers work. My sister picked up a book and said, "This one looks good". I read the back, it looked good, I bought and took it home. I am addicted to Raymond E Feist [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

BTW, I have 1 elf ear naturally. My ear was bent over when I was born, and has left me with a pointy ear!!!

Read Feist
Ainalondwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 10:19 AM   #30
Morgour

Sting

i've become totally obsessed with everything to do with lord of the rings and medieval europe , im growing my hair long i want it about the same legnth as boromir in the first film, im also going to buy a sword a cloak and some 15th century clothes to wear. oh yeah ive also got into loads more black metal as loads of it is really medieval sounding. check out opeth , in flames , emperor,immortal.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:25 AM   #31
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I started singing The Road Goes Ever On and On the other day, and I've been trying to imitate the different characters accents lately [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Arwen
Old 11-04-2002, 03:21 AM   #32
Aragorn_the_Ranger
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn_the_Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Probably the way that I have changed is that Tolkien and Peter Jackson have inspired me to become a film writer. Also I qoute lines from the movie and book, (like eating dinner and say "Your quest stands on the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fall to the ruin of all...) and when my auntie comes to visit I say "They have a cavetroll".
I also search the web for everything with LotR (movie and book) and I also pretend to buy stuff from TolkienTown. (AM I weird or what?).
Plus I give out random trivia to my family and their starting to get annoyed (Did u know that Viggo.....?)
out
Jarryd
Aragorn_the_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 03:41 AM   #33
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Decided 2 post again!
I really wish I could start acting and looking more Elvish, but my Bro knows about my obsessionn and if i acted like that, i would never hear the end of it. I plaited my hair yesterday....perfectly normal thing to do...but he wont shut uo bout me wanting 2 be an elf [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ! He is driving me 2 distraction!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2002, 03:51 AM   #34
Harmonica
Animated Skeleton

Harmonica has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

There are things that have changed in a rather dramatic way in my life, thanks to LOTR. I´m not quite ready to tell the world about it, but it has to do with suddenly realising things, a change of personality, seeing things I´ve never seen before and most of all, overcoming fear. But how, what and why, is something I might tell you later. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2002, 03:10 PM   #35
Princess of Mirkwood
Pile O'Bones

Princess of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I read the book it made me want to become an author, and then when I saw the movie it made me want to become an actress....

so I suppose LOTR has given me more ambition...

who would have thought that so many people could could get so much from LOTR
Old 11-05-2002, 03:50 PM   #36
Lady_Artemis

Silmaril

I know I've changed since I started reading LotR hundreds of times over and over again. I'm learning new and larger words thats for sure. And I'm less klutzy thanks to the Elves. I think I'm also going to grow my hair out again since i just got 13 inches cut off recently. I am also wearing more greens and blues. Well, I already wore tons of blue anyway but definitly more green. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Artemis ]
Old 11-05-2002, 06:22 PM   #37
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, my style of writing, clothes, hair, and speech has changed, but I find that I've become more depressed and dreamy as well. I just think, 'if only I were there, I'd be happy, my life would have meaning' etc... Don't worry, I'm not suicidal ^^ but ME is filled with excitment and danger and romance. You just don't get that anymore, unless you're in the Army ^^
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 06:54 AM   #38
alkquareiel02
Animated Skeleton

alkquareiel02 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i have definately changed never read that much until just before i saw the film then i got more and more books dvd vcd getting the limited edition next week and i talk about it frequently my sister says i am obsessed with it well i have spent nearly 300 Quid so far and don't care i will spend more until i am happy with what i have got. but i aint happy yet! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
alkquareiel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 02:58 AM   #39
Ar-Luman
Animated Skeleton

Ar-Luman has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I could list so many ways that I have changed but due to personal time restraints I will be brief. I notice myself longing for something better. When I see a vast expanse of trees, a mountain range or wide open plains I dwell on thoughts of middle earth. Wishing that I could have took part in the story and watched all the events unfold first hand and wondering what character I could have been. I find I am not content with the world as it is. Very few people that I am aquainted with understand me because very few have experienced Middle Earth in the capacity that I have. The ones that have can relate. I would like for life to be more simple, "Shire like", if you will. Needless to say, things are the way they are and you just have to make the most of life for the short time we are here. Excuse me if I rambled off on some irrelevant tangent I just had to vent I suppose. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2002, 08:58 AM   #40
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Wishing that I could have took part in the story and watched all the events unfold first hand and wondering what character I could have been. I find I am not content with the world as it is.
Definately applies to me but I guess you can't have everything thing life.
Also I wanted to grow my hair really long like Elvs but my mom just hacked it off so know its only upto my chin [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
And i realy want to learn archery and acting has become my dream.