The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-27-2002, 08:38 PM   #1
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Sauron's death

In the movie during the Last Alliance Islidur cuts the finger off a still living Sauron and his body is immediately destroyed. However, in a fan fiction I once read (Islidur) Sauron is killed and then the ring is cut from his still moving finger. Sauron uses the power of the Ring to hold the bearers of the 3 Elven Rings in a thrall (Actually it's only Cirdan and Elrond, Galadriel did not accompany Gil-Galad to the final battle). However, Gil-Galad is not wearing his ring, he never took Vilya back from Elrond. Sauron bends over Gil-Galad to gloat and is impaled by Aiglos (Gil-Galad's spear). Sauron falls on top of Gil-Galad, and the fire of his hand consumes Gil-Galad. I know neither the movie nor the fan fiction is a totally reliable source, but I tend to believe the fan fiction. Everything else in the fan fiction is completely accurate to what Tolkien wrote. I vaugely remember reading a brief account of the duel between Sauron, Gil-Galad, and Elendil which agreed with the fan fiction. I can't find it now, which makes me think it might not have existed, does anyone know if Tolkien wrote anything about the duel between Sauron, Gil-Galad, and Elendil?

[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 10:08 PM   #2
Lord Syslox of Emyn Beverli
Pile O'Bones

Lord Syslox of Emyn Beverli has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I remember from somewhere (i've only read LotR, the Hobbit and the Silm) that Gil-Galad and Elendil died while "casting down" Sauron and then Isildur cut the Ring from him and Sauron's spirit "fled his body". This isn't exact quotes, just what i remember. Correct me if im wrong

This seems to sugest that Gil-Galad and Elendil died but managed to badly wound, stun, knock out or even just trip over Sauron. Isildur then picked up Narsil (it broke under Elendil when he fell) and used it to liberate the Ring from Sauron, at which point Sauron's spirit was weakened and it left his body.

If we use this theory that Sauron was not killed but "cast down", Isildur's actions suggest he knew that removing the Ring would defeat Sauron. It is not likely that he was tempted by the Ring at that stage.

Even if we follow the converse of this theory (ie Sauron dead, then Ring taken) Isildur only says he wants to keep the Ring when he is told to throw it into Orodruin.

Anyway thats my view, do your best to prove me wrong or right.

May the Force be with you
Lord Syslox
Old 02-28-2002, 02:40 PM   #3
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sauron was 'thrown down' after wrestling with Elendil and Gil-galad, who were both slain. Isildur then used the hilt-shard of his father's sword to cut the ring from Sauron's finger. Sauron was then vanquished, and could not take shape again for many years. And that is pretty much all the information Tolkien gave us regarding Sauron's death. Both the movie and the fan-fiction are mostly speculation. However, unlike the movie the fan-fiction doesn't actually contradict anything Tolkien wrote.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:02 PM   #4
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Quote:
However, unlike the movie the fan-fiction doesn't actually contradict anything Tolkien wrote.
An excellent point!!

Yes, I was a little upset with the whole Sauron death scene in the movie.