The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-25-2002, 12:23 PM   #1
charly
Haunting Spirit

charly has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Questions about elves&stuf

Iīve been wondering this for quite a while... how do elves grow up and, BTW, how are they born??
I mean, birth is a rather humanly thing, plus itīs quite painful, isnīt it? I donīt really see how that should fit on elves... does anyone know how that works?
And then, if elves are immortal, how do they grow older? If an elven baby is born, how does it grow up? Like a manchild, 20 years an then they stay at about that stage forever? Or do they grow, say, every 100 years the progress of one year?I canīt figure out the amswer, even though Iīm sure there is one... can somebody help me?
Thanks [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 25, 2002: Message edited by: charly ]
Old 09-25-2002, 01:59 PM   #2
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I don't know - I always sort of pictured elves being born in the normal way and growing up like humans, but once they reach age 18 or something, it slows way down.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:02 PM   #3
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Hi Charly, Welcome to the Downs.

Here is a link to a similar discussionElvish Reproduction .

To make it short & Sweet, Elves mate and bear children the same way as humans do. They reach adulthood at the age of 50 and if they marry it is usually after the age of 100. Their children are born in the first few years of their marriage. An Elven pregnancy lasts 1 year, and it is not uncommon for the first child to be born on the parents 1st wedding anniversary.

Elves generally have fewer children than humans because the parents must give up a part of thier fea (spirit) for the creation of the new life.

Here's another link I found.
Elven Pregnancy

[ September 25, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]