The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-14-2003, 12:55 AM   #1
Dunlondion
Pile O'Bones

Dunlondion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Favourite moments

What is your favourite moment in the Lord of the Rings or the Silmarillion, mine are the Fall of Gondolin and The Battle of The Pelenor Feilds thanks for your answers.
Dunlondion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:29 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Opinion topics such as this "favorite" thread are placed on the Novices and Newcomers forum. Please read and post there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 07:10 AM   #3
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pretty much all the Sil., especially Nirnaeth Arnoediad.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 10:51 AM   #4
Tenduriel
Animated Skeleton

Tenduriel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

my favourite part of LotR is when the Gandalf reappeares and takes one of the hobbits to Minas Tirith

in Silmarillion: i simply looove the story about the dragon (what's his name again?)

O mór henion i dhû - Ely siriar, êl síla - Ai! Aniron Undómiel - Tiro! Êl eria e môr. - I 'lîr en êl luitha 'uren. - Ai! Aniron
Tenduriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:16 PM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

do u mean the books? cos mine is from the film

1) when gandalf, eomer, and the rohirrim ride down the slope at helms deep
2) when faramir yells "Nazgul" in osgiliath
3) also helms deep/eomer, when he yells "Rohirrim" before they all ride down

as for the books, the parts when aragorn states his name, occupation, family tree, credit card details, and the length of each strand of his hair to the nearest millionth of a millimetre to whoever can actually be bothered to hang around and find out (most likely people short on cash and wigmakers)
Old 02-14-2003, 04:08 PM   #6
Sindae
Haunting Spirit

Sindae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

my favourite moment is when éowyn kills the witch king
Old 02-15-2003, 12:06 PM   #7
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
in Silmarillion: i simply looove the story about the dragon (what's his name again?)
His name was Glaurung. That story was cool! My favourite moments? This is going to be long.

In FOTR: I really like "A Conspiracy Unmasked", when Tom Bombadil first appears, "The Flight to the Ford", "The Bridge of Khazad-Dum", the gift giving of Galadriel, and when Frodo tries to leave and is join by Sam in "The Breaking of the Fellowship"

In TTT: When Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli meet the riders of Rohan, Merry and Pippin meet Treebeard, Gandalf the White's appearance, all of Helm's Deep (especially the competition between Legolas and Gimli), When Saruman is cast out of the order, Pippin looking into the Palantir, When Frodo and Sam capture Gollum, The Gollum/Smeagol debate, "The Choices of Master Samwise"

Warning: Spoilers for those of you who haven't read the books!

In ROTK: "The Passing of the Grey Company", "The Siege of Gondor", Eowyn killing the Witch King, "The Black Gate", Sam finding Frodo in the Tower, Mount Doom, The fall of Mordor, The crowning of Elessar, "The Scouring of the Shire", "The Grey Havens"

In The Silmarillion: I love this whole book!! If I tried to pick out favourite moments from this book I'd be here forever and this is already too long!!

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Firondoiel ]
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 12:44 PM   #8
Amanruthiel
Pile O'Bones

Amanruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In the Fwllowship film it has to be the flight to Rivendell by Arwen and Frodo being chased by the Black Riders.

In the Fellowship book, I would have to say the chapter concerning Lothlorien. After such tragic happenings in Moria it gave some hope to the Fellowship, and the Galadriel's mirror hinted of things yet to come.

If you have the taking books, I loved the section when Glorfindel meets up with Strider and the hobbits. Maybe its just me but it makes me laugh with the camp way Strider calls his name! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Amanruthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 12:57 PM   #9
Nuinheledien

Sting

In the films my favourite parts are, (FOTR),all the scenes in Hobbiton, the breaking of the fellowship and all the scenes involving the elves! In TTT i love the Helms Deep scene, Fangorn Forest, too many to write...lol

In the book, i like the grey havens, its really sad.

In the Silmarillion, which i havent finished reading because its hard, i like the beggining when it talks about Illuvater and his children!
Old 02-16-2003, 01:28 PM   #10
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favourite moment in the LotR (book) is when Frodo is riding on Asfaloth through the river. He turns with no strength and no hope, and defies the Nazgul.
In the movies it is definitely when Faramir cries Nazgul in Osgiliath. Though I hate the part for it is not in the book. Unlogical? I know [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The Silmarillion. When Mandos tells his doom to the Noldor and Feanor.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 01:36 PM   #11
Tenduriel
Animated Skeleton

Tenduriel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

my favourite part in THE HOBBIT is when they meet the trolls. veeeery nice written!

O mór henion i dhû - Ely siriar, êl síla - Ai! Aniron Undómiel - Tiro! Êl eria e môr. - I 'lîr en êl luitha 'uren. - Ai! Aniron
Tenduriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 09:29 PM   #12
Lossenorodion
Pile O'Bones

Lossenorodion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Lossenorodion Send a message via AIM to Lossenorodion
Sting

my favorite moments are:
in the books
FOTR:The Council of Elrond

TTT:Sam's battle with Shelob

ROTK:The restoration of the Shire
---Movies
FOTR:When in the battle at Amon Hen Boromir dies defending the hobbits

TTT:when Aragorn tells Theoden to ride with him against the uruk-hai and Gandalf and Eomer arrive.
Sam's speech at Ossigiliath before Faramir lets them go
And the last part when Frodo and Sam talk about them being in stories.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:59 PM   #13
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

At the end of the first part of ROTK. After Pippin slew the troll.

“So it ends as I guessed it would.” His thought said, even as it fluttered away: and it laughed a little within him ere it fled, almost gay it seemed to be casting off at last all doubt and care and fear. And then even as it winged away into forgetfulness it heard voices, and they seemed to be crying in some forgotten world far above.
“The Eagles are coming! The Eagles are coming!”
For one moment more Pippin’s thought hovered. “Bilbo!” it said. “ But no! That is in his tale, long long ago. This is my tale, and it has ended now. Good-bye!” And his thought fled far away and his eyes saw no more.