The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2002, 10:21 AM   #1
Boffer
Pile O'Bones

Boffer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Carn Dum

Ok. All i know bout Carn Dum is it's location. What i wanna know is........Why is it so evil? who made it evil? who built it? when was it built? what was there? was there anything there during the fellowship? just whatever you know bout this place please throw it in here.

oh and just so everybody knows,,bombadil was a magical petty-dwarf [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Boffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 11:06 AM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Silmaril

Carn Dűm was the stronghold of the Witch-King's (Lord of the Nazgűl) realm of Angmar in Eriador. He constructed it after the War of the Alliance to destroy Arnor (the realm of the northern Dúnedain). It is located at near the base of the Misty Mountains far north of Rivendell and the Trollshaws. The Witch-king held much of the Northern Land against the Three Houses of Arnor (Arthedain, Cardolan, and Rhudaur), who were at civil war. Rhudaur allied with Angmar against the other two, who allied each other and Círdan and Elrond. The Witch-king eventually conquered about half of Old Arnor (Rhudaur and northern Arthedain), including the city of Fornost. Gondor finally came to the aid of their northern brothers and helped the Elves of Lindon retake Fornost. The Witch-king was beaten by the King of Gondor (I think it was Eärnil) and Glorfindel (from FotR). Angmar was purged of its evil and Carn Dűm destroyed. All that remained at the time of the War of the Ring was a legend, and the Barrow-wights (ghosts of the Princes of Arthedain).

[ July 27, 2002: Message edited by: Manwe Sulimo ]
Old 07-27-2002, 01:11 PM   #3
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Barrow-wights (ghosts of the Princes of Arthedain).
Barrow Wights are evil spirits from Angmar who infested the Great Barrows after TA 1636.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 03:39 PM   #4
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Quote:
He constructed it after the War of the Alliance to destroy Arnor
There is a theory, based on the Dwarvish name, that Carn-dum was an abandoned Dwarven settlement that the Witch-king reinhabited and turned into his capital.

Aside from the linguistic connection (primarily resting on the "-dum" ending) it is unsubstantiated, but it seems plausible and I like to believe it.
Old 07-27-2002, 07:27 PM   #5
Sarin Elfarmour
Animated Skeleton

Sarin Elfarmour has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe, but i didnt think the dwarves ever went to that area
Old 07-27-2002, 08:57 PM   #6
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Yes, they did. During the days of their greatest power they had delvings and settlements running all up and down the Misty Mountains from Khazad-dum to Mount Gundabad.

[ July 27, 2002: Message edited by: Kuruharan ]
Old 07-29-2002, 10:19 AM   #7
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

I always though that Carn Dum was a mountain and that the Witch King just had a HQ there. As for the Dwarf theory, I read somewhere that some Dwarves lived in this area but moved south to Khazad Dum during the second age. By the way Carn Dum is north of Mt Gundabad.

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 11:52 AM   #8
Boffer
Pile O'Bones

Boffer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Also,,,Mount Gundabad was the headquaters for the orcs or the misty mountains right? i think that was mentioned somewhere in The Hobbit. what od yall think?
Boffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 02:36 PM   #9
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Tolkien

Quote:
As for the Dwarf theory, I read somewhere that some Dwarves lived in this area but moved south to Khazad Dum during the second age. By the way Carn Dum is north of Mt Gundabad.
I believe that there were still some Dwarves in the area until Gundabad fell to orcs in the early Third Age.

Yes, Carn-dum is north of Gundabad. That statement was hyperbole. I didn't mean for it to be taken as an exact measurement of the extent of the Dwarf mines. They probably had outposts to the south of Khazad-dum as well.

Quote:
Also,,,Mount Gundabad was the headquaters for the orcs or the misty mountains right? i think that was mentioned somewhere in The Hobbit. what od yall think?
Yes, it was at that time. But that was late in the Third Age. As I said above it had belonged to the Dwarves until the orcs took it and made it into their capital.