The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-23-2002, 06:49 PM   #1
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Who were more powerful Men or Elves

This has been on my mind for some time.
If both men and elves had a war against each other who would win. Each being as powerful as they were at the height of their power (Numenor - when they attempted to attack the valar, and when the Noldor returned to ME).
The men had become powerful and long lived and had developed strong weapons of war, while the elves spirit still burned bright within as they had only just left valinor (if thats the right place) and therefore were probably at their strongest.
Was there that much difference between the edain and the elves.
Another thought did the Numenorians have a kind of inferiority complex, no matter how powerful they became they still always felt like the weaker people compared to the elves.They couldn't match up to these immortals .This ****ed them off pushing them over time to turn to evil.
Hope i got this idea over well enough, but as you can see i'm not to good with writing down my ideas.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:33 PM   #2
Sarin Elfarmour
Animated Skeleton

Sarin Elfarmour has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

you may be off on the height of the elves power, but at their actual greatest it would depend on numbers, if the elves were out numbered 5 to 1 how could they win? and also the Numenoreans were mariners, what if the bulk of the fighting was inland? and another issue, what about dwarves? they might help the noldor because of their freind ship with auleor might take men's side for other reasons
Old 07-23-2002, 07:47 PM   #3
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

Sarin, i belive he was trying to say that if both elves and men at the hight of their powers and equially numbered with no outside interfierance, who would win in a war
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 01:13 PM   #4
O'Boile
Wight

O'Boile has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Probably the elves. They had more great leaders (in fact, the kings of Numenour were descended of elves). They also had much better weaponry and 'magic'.
O'Boile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 01:56 PM   #5
Aule
Wight

Sting

The elves magic wasn't quite what you think it was. It wasn't offensive magic like fireballs and lightning but was used to create beauty.
In my opinion the dwarves were never as powerfull as men or elves. I know they were strong and hardy but i wasn't considering them in this question.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:20 PM   #6
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

Of course this could all depand on where they were fighting e.g if they were in underground tunnels the Dwarves would win. They did sack Menegroth. Also I read somewhere that Sauron tried to corrupt the elves of Eregion because they were the strongest of Eru's children.

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 02:20 PM   #7
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh man! My brother would kill you right about now! (he loves the dwarves!) I don't think that the dwarves are any less then the elves or men. They live a long time, they are very good with metals and things. Without them, many of the elves wouldn't have known how to work metals, or it would have tooken them longer. It was in large part the dwarves that got rid of smog, even though it was a man that killed him, the dwarves took the first step. Also, don't forget about Mim, it seems like he kindof saved Turin.

Back on track, I think that the elves would probebly win, just because they are kind of.. imortal.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:12 PM   #8
Halbereth Diagona
Wight

Halbereth Diagona has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Halbereth Diagona Send a message via AIM to Halbereth Diagona
Tolkien

I'd say the elves, because they can produce better weaponry than men.
Halbereth Diagona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:34 PM   #9
Sarin Elfarmour
Animated Skeleton

Sting

With out the Dwarves The elves of ME would not have had any knowledge of wepons untill the noldor came into exile, the dwarves of Belegost also invented chain mail. no race ever surpassed the dwarves in the working of steel, many wepons of the eldar and the edain were forged by dwarves, they were at least as powerful as elves and men, but excluding themfrom a war between elves and men the elves would most likely win, they were "not as easily slain by wepons"
Old 07-24-2002, 04:58 PM   #10
Aule
Wight

Sting

I suppose elves were the strongest esp the eldar (i think they were the ones that have seen the light of the trees)but i can't see the dwarves beating men(numenorians) or elves on open ground but i concede that they would kick *** in the mines.
And as o'boile said
paraphrase - the elves had more great leaders

there must have been 100 of great Lord like Glorfindel and Ecthelion for the elves but only 10/20 great Lords of Men at a time the rest just being the regular soldiers
Old 07-24-2002, 08:56 PM   #11
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They each have their own different sorts of powers, it really isn't a fair comparison.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:59 PM   #12
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I have thought about this much too. I am quite sure that Elves are more powerful than Men in Arda. bUt as we all know, Men die and recieve The Gift of Eru, while Elves stay in Arda. It says in the Silmarillion that even the Powers (the Valar) will even the death of Men. I think that Tolkien meant to say that Men go on to greater things, or other worlds, where they rule supreme. Like our World. Of course, this is all speculation, bu that's just my two cents.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:35 AM   #13
O'Boile
Wight

Sting

Aule, I know about elvish magic... see my posts on the topic in other threads. It would still be useful however in a fight however, as they have the ability to disguise themselves (at least some of them do). Additionally, they have better weapons etc.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:49 AM   #14
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think the elves would win.

O'Boile makes a good point. Elvin swords seems to be regarded as superior. Unless men found a shady elvin arms dealer they would probably be in trouble.

Elves are better at hiding then men and therefore could wage very effective guerilla warfare.

Elves being the best shipbuilders would most likely win at sea.

Elves being the best healers and makers of waybread would most likely have the healthier and better fed troops.

I guess if the dwarves supplied arms and the war dragged out sufficiently long for men to outnumber elves (elves don't seem to be as prolific) men might pull it off, but not without help from dwarves.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:28 AM   #15
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think I agree with burrahobbit on this one. Men and Elves were both granted their own fortes in different areas so that they wouldn't have to fight over the same things. They were created differently for a purpose, and are hardly comparable.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 03:13 PM   #16
Sarin Elfarmour
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Yes men elves and dwarves were created whith different powers so they would be in that sort of competition, and given that the ships of the teleri were practicly unsinkable (it says so in the Silm/UT)numenor would have a disadvatage, and if the elves hid in fangorn forest any attackers would have to be real nice to the ents and their trees, though unaided by others elves would win over men
Old 07-27-2002, 08:15 PM   #17
Sarin Elfarmour
Animated Skeleton

Sting

this topic was very popular for awile there, and now its not, have we concluded without an acutal conclusion?
Old 07-28-2002, 11:40 AM   #18
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dűm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

While the elves in Middle Earth may be defeatable the Vanya would be totally unassailable, no mater how mighty Atlanate may have been. But if you say "at the height of their power" where does it end?

It is said in many of the HoME that Túrin would better Morgoth at his full strength at the worlds end, and if even numbers was One on One I don’t know if any elf could stand up to that. But then again Lúthien took down Melkor too, and she is the greatest of the Eldar (for the purpose of my post), then it comes down to who would win out of Túrin and Lúthion. But Túrin has shown to be very vonerable to magic, and Luthien’s magic would be stronger than Glaurung, as I doubt Morgoth would create a dragon that was strong enough to influence his will like Lúthien did. So I would say that in larger numbers the Vanya would win (one to the Eldar) and if it was One on One the Eldar would win also. I suppose in smaller numbers (Ring Wraiths and Rangers Vs Vayna anyone?) the outcome would be debatable.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:03 AM   #19
O'Boile
Wight

Sting

Before I said that elves would win... but now I'm not so sure. I just read a letter by JRRT (at the start of my copy of the Silmarilion) and in it he says that the fleet of Numenor could (as in had a chance) of destroying Valinar. That is why the Valar appealed to Illuvatar for help (and thus the sinking of Numenor and the removal of Valinor from the world occurs). This made me think that I may have underestimated the strength of men at their peak.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:11 PM   #20
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Silmaril

Location Victor

Mountains Elves
Desert Men
Plains Toss-up
River Side Elves
Forest Elves
Sea Toss-up

Elves had the immense advantage of range (longbows), so an approaching army would be decimated if the Elves had a height advantage. On plains, it would be even, because the Men would reach the Elves by the time a third salvo got off. In the desert, the dunes would work to infantry's advantage. At sea, Men had more ships, but Elves had better ships. A river would prevent Men from closing to meléę , and the archers could pick them off one by one. Forest: think talans.