The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-10-2002, 06:03 PM   #1
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Question Drownded

Do you think my parents died because the boat sank, (maybe it had a leak)or did Primula push Drogo in and he pull her in??
Personally, I don'd hold with the last explanation. Maybe I'm just a naive fool and refuse to believe they could do that to each other.

[ May 10, 2002: Message edited by: Frodo Baggins ]
Old 05-10-2002, 06:13 PM   #2
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

The book never really says, but personally, I think that either there was something wrong with the boat and it sank, or they fell in by accident (small boats can be unstable).
Old 05-10-2002, 06:32 PM   #3
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nufacial is right, the book doesn't give any particulars, on how they came to drown. Maybe one of them stood up, lost their balance, thereby capsizing the boat. Or perhaps Drogo lost the oar, leaned way over the gunwhale (gunwale?) and capsizing the boat in the process. I could probably come up with another good five scenario's capsizing the boat alone, if you're familiar with a small boat in anyway, then you'll get the idea.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 06:54 PM   #4
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Or an especially violent sneeze?
Can't happen you say?
Rather embarassing to be the only person I know who has capsized a boat with a sneeze. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2002, 06:55 PM   #5
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I too refuse to believe that Primula and Drogo would push each other in! There was probably something wrong with the boat, and as the good ol' Gaffer says,
"Boats are quite tricky enough for those that sit still without looking further for the cause of trouble."
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 11:47 PM   #6
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Personally I wouldn't take anything that Ted Sandyman says too seriously, but anyway...

Drogo might have "caused" the accident, but surely it was inadvertantly. He was a Baggins and probably not used to being out on the water; maybe he fell in and ended up dragging Primula in by struggling when she tried to pull him out. Or something like that. Urgh, this is a little morbid.
Old 05-11-2002, 12:38 AM   #7
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe there wasn't any struggling at all, except to say for a little friendly tickling or wrestling.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 02:09 AM   #8
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

I really don't think there was any serious bad play here. Smeagol was the only Hobbit I know of who intentionally did in another Hobbit. I don't think Frodo's parents would fall in that category. Probably just inexperience with boats and water or being too silly and then finding themselves above their heads (literally). sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 05-12-2002, 02:53 AM   #9
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Quote:
Rather embarassing to be the only person I know who has capsized a boat with a sneeze.
ROTFL [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think it was all a conspiracy by the Sackville-Bagginses who thought that they would be left a collection of silver spoons in the will. they probably filled the boat up with sneezing powder!
Old 05-12-2002, 03:09 AM   #10
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nevtalathiel, you are probably right! We must alarm the Shiresheriff at once, and get those pesky little hobbit wannabes arrested like the murders they are!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2002, 05:23 AM   #11
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White-Hand

But the shiriffs could be in on the plot, usign the feathers in their hats to tickle people and make them laugh so hard they capsize their boats! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2002, 05:26 AM   #12
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This case goes deeper than we thought!
if even the sheriff is invovled, we need to talk with the Mayor! We have to get justice!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2002, 05:36 AM   #13
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White-Hand

I think it may all be inspired by Tom Bombadil! If his singing didn't make you laugh, then his outfit surely would!
Old 05-17-2002, 02:25 PM   #14
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

You have a good point with the violent sneeze hypoyhesis. Father certainly was a very loud and forceful sneezer. And when He blew his nose.... everyon covered their ears. I really did'nt thind Ted Sandman was true...but, one has to wonder
Old 05-17-2002, 09:15 PM   #15
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've heard two theories myself:

Drogo dropped his sandwich, leaned over to get it, and...PLOP!

Or:

Drogo hadn't had quite enough to eat for Second Breakfast, and couldn't resist when he saw that fish. "Fisssshhhhssss. Yessss. Is it tasty? Is it crunchable?"...PLOP!
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 06:10 PM   #16
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ohhh Birdland!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

those are funny, dropped is sandwich haha
Fisssssshhh haha!
Old 05-19-2002, 03:27 AM   #17
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White-Hand

Alternatively, Drogo could have leaned over to kiss his beautiful wife while on such a romantic baot ride and just leaned a little far, how tragic [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2002, 07:18 PM   #18
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Quote:
But the shiriffs could be in on the plot, usign the feathers in their hats to tickle people and make them laugh so hard they capsize their boats!
*shivers* Ticklin'? Oooh--remind me not to get to near one of them shirriffs...
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #19
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Why were Frodo's parents removed? Was this essential to getting him to be Bilbo's heir, and subsequently to be the Ringbearer? Didn't Gandalf say something about Frodo was "meant" to bear the Ring, and that some other power was behind it? Would this same power be then responsible for killing Frodo's parents?

When Gollum tips over the edge, some see Eru's hand. Would not we also see Eru's hand when Drogo and Primula are tipped as well?

Note that the post-holiday/pre-holiday season has me in a less-than-charitable mood.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #20
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post

When Gollum tips over the edge, some see Eru's hand. Would not we also see Eru's hand when Drogo and Primula are tipped as well?
He does seem to have a penchant for drowning people.....
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #21
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yes and even elves aren't "waterproof" - they may be able to walk on snow but he draws the line at water

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #22
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
He does seem to have a penchant for drowning people.....
Gandalf is placed in the right place at the right time so that he might meet Thorin, who then gets Bilbo out of his hole and into contact with Gollum, who loses the Ring to Bilbo. Bilbo returns and adopts Frodo, which he could not of had Frodo's parents lived.

Could this 'anti-Ring' force have used another hobbit, or was there something special about Frodo? The text seems to indicate that Frodo is special - more elvish - and so was it necessary that his parents die to make Frodo a better RingBearer?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:15 PM   #23
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Whilst we're on the matter, do you think Tolkien intended some sort of parallel between Smeagol and Deagol finding the Ring whilst out in a boat, and Frodo's parents drowning in a boat accident?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #24
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well there is some truth in that theory alatar, as if I remember correctly Gandalf does say something like: not many except you would have made it so far. Not sure where, not going to look for it.
But I doubt that Eru would go so far so as to do any other changes other then pushing Gollum in.
Indeed I have already had many discussions about luck, fate and providence in M-e and I although it seems to be more then just a coincidence I personally can't believe that Eru would "play" in such a way with the inhabitants of Arda.
What god of love would kill two innocent hobbits, no matter for what purpose. And would Tolkien as a believing Catholic write such a thing? I doubt he ever intended such a thing, however it could be seen as just a chance event as all others. But then again we can go further back in past and maybe speculate that the sparing of Elros and Elrond was also planned by Eru, as no Elros and Elrond meant no Aragorn and Arwen and Fellowship and succesful Quest.
This problem is unfortunately not easy to solve...
Old 11-28-2007, 03:57 PM   #25
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Ah, but are we not looking at it from the wrong angle?

Wouldn't losing his parents at such an early age make Frodo different from other hobbits, and perhaps more suitable for the bearing of the Ring?

Being orphaned at a young age would make him feel less "attached" to The Shire, being adopted by Bilbo even more so. Being orphaned would probably make him more resilient as well, less prone to asking others to solve his problems and more likely to take matters in his own hands.

Therefore, I'd say that it's not that Frodo was special and so Eru drowned his parents as part of a divine (if convoluted) plan, but rather that this accident, which is nothing more than that, an accident, ultimately made him uniquely able to bear the ring.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #26
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
Being orphaned would probably make him more resilient as well, less prone to asking others to solve his problems and more likely to take matters in his own hands.
I don't think it can be generalized that an orphan is more apt to deal with life problems. I believe quite the contrary to be the case.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #27
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I am not sure if it was the Frodo that left Bag End that was so special...I rather think it was the way the trip and the difficulties encountered changes him that made him so special.
If on Weathertop he could do nothing to stop the Ringwraiths, Tolkien comments in a letter that had he put on the Ring in Sammath Naur the Wraiths wouldn't have hurt him due to his power.
In my opinion it is this transformation that he suffers that plays the greatest role.

On the other hand, I must admit that a certain innate liking for adventures and great deeds that was in the family (Bilbo) also was necessary.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #28
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
If on Weathertop he could do nothing to stop the Ringwraiths, Tolkien comments in a letter that had he put on the Ring in Sammath Naur the Wraiths wouldn't have hurt him due to his power
True, but only as long as it took them to remove him from the Crack:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #246
But the situation was now different to that under Weathertop, where Frodo acted merely in fear ... He had grown since then. Would they have been immune from its power if he claimed it as an instrument of command and domination?

Not wholly. I do not think they could have attacked him with violence, nor laid hold upon him or taken him captive; they would have obeyed or feigned to obey any minor commands of his that did not interfere with their errand – laid upon them by Sauron, who still through their nine rings (which he held) had primary control of their wills. That errand was to remove Frodo from the Crack. Once he lost the power or opportunity to destroy the Ring, the end could not be in doubt – saving help from outside, which was hardly even remotely possible.