The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-21-2003, 07:07 AM   #1
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe How would Galadriel know?

While reading TTT again the other day, I came across where Gandalf is telling Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli how he fared with the Balrog and how he lay atop the mountain until found by Gwaihir. He mentioned that Galadriel sent Gwaihir to look for him. Now how in the name of the Shire was she supposed to know he would be around? It really dosen't make sense.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:35 AM   #2
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Osanwe, Osanwe, Osanwe.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 09:35 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

...and the Mirror, of course!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 11:53 AM   #4
KingAragorn

Silmaril

First of all, The Lady of the Silver wood has the gift for Forseeing. Also, she has the Mirror of Galadriel which shows both things that are and things that have not yet come to pass.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:57 PM   #5
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Galadriel indeed had some way of forseeing things. The request to Gwaihir to search for Gandalf was one, but for example: her warning to Legolas 'to beware of the Sea', was another. These things are, I think, for us impossible to explain for we are but simple men [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Yet I do think that the mirror was a great help for her to know these things.
I'm more confused with Elrond knowing these things. When Elrohir and Elladan come upon Aragorn and Theoden, they say they bring words of Elrond and he says something like: 'when things look darkest, remember the words of the Seer. Look for the Paths of the Dead.' This is something that breaks my mind more than the forseeings of Galadriel, for Elrond doesn't have a mirror. For the people who aren't as easily thinking as I do that Elrond does foreseethings as well, Elrond also says to his sons and the Dunedain that they should look for Elessar in the land of Rohan.
I would like to hear some opinions on this.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 08:44 PM   #6
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Thank you Lathspell, you have just made one thought into another. To tell you the truth, I was wondering the same thing. All right everyone, more silver pennies from Lathspeel and I for your thoughts.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:23 AM   #7
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Greetings to all present!
One thing I thought of was what is the connection between Galadriel and Gandalf? They both bear a great Ring. Perhaps they connect through it, just as Gandalf and Frodo did briefly at Amon Hen, when Gandalf's voice is heard by Frodo to say "Take off the Ring, fool!" Maybe Galadriel heard Gandalf's voice at the moment of his need, and she acted upon it.

Also, it is possible that Elrond merely remembers his lore quite well! I would think this more a gift of intuition and foresight on Elrond's part. He reads the old verse about the Paths of the Dead and has a realization that Aragorn is the one mentioned there. Would Aragorn have taken the Paths had Elrond not suggested it? Who knows? Isn't Elrond renowned for his keeping of lore? I'd think this was a thinking man putting two threads together and coming out with a revelation...

*drops two pennies in and bows to the gathered dignitaries--then scurries out and breaks a priceless statue in the process...one can never escape this life without a little humbling...*

Cheers,
Lyta
(who believes in magic and prophecy and all that, but holds to living in the moment like her hero, Peregrin Took!)
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 09:19 AM   #8
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Galadriel was able [as were, seemingly, any of the powerful Eldar] to use her mind to search for others [or at least others with similar abilities]. She states this baldly when the fellowship all [minus Gandalf] finally arrives on the royal flet in Caras Galadon.

Quote:
Gandalf the Grey set out with the Company, but but he did not pass the borders of this land. Now tell us where he is; for I much desired to speak with him again. But I can nopt see him from afar, unless hecomes within the fences of Lorien for a grey mist is about him, and the ways of his feet and his mind are hidden from me.
This specifically describes Osanwe, the ability of Ainur, Elves and especially gifted, powerful or trained mortals to send and receive thoughts to each other.

Explored in fascinating detail in the essay by JRRT Osanwe-Kenta.

See Link above for more on it.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 09:57 AM   #9
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Perhaps when Gandalf was lying naked on the mountain top not quite dead or alive his 'grey mist' wasn't as strong as usual? It's possible (in my embarrasingly un-Tolkien-educated mind) that at that time when he was not in full control of himself that Galadriel was able to see him from afar. Or at least to feel his presence, and that would cause her to send out a searcher, for if he were truly fallen, than wouldn't she be unable to feel his presence in ME?

*And then she bows and as she turns to leave, this wonderful group points out the flaws in her thought processes, and she is humbled. Very forcefully*