The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2002, 04:06 PM   #1
LaurinaAinur
Pile O'Bones

LaurinaAinur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to LaurinaAinur
Question Tolkien's songs

I am wondering if J.R.R. had a tune in mind when he wrote his songs, i.e. 'The Road Goes Ever On' and Tom Bombadil's several songs. I want to defer to The Great One on this before I come up with my own. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2002, 04:13 PM   #2
BeeBombadil
Animated Skeleton

BeeBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

There is a wonderful CD collection, which you can buy at Amazon and other places, of JRR and Christopher Tolkien reading Tolkien's works. It's a 4-CD set and is the same price as one regular CD. There are many songs on there, including the Troll song and the Bath Song. Plus, you get the pleasure of hearing JRR do Gollum's voice...worth the price of the set!!!
BeeBombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 04:15 PM   #3
LaurinaAinur
Pile O'Bones

LaurinaAinur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to LaurinaAinur
Sting

Wow! Thanks! Had noooo idea. Would you know the exact title, by any chance, so I could search for it?
Old 09-05-2002, 01:32 AM   #4
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

There's another recording you can by which is, I believe, a collaboration between JRRT and Donald Swann. Its called 'The Road Goes Ever On' (I think). The most interesting song by far is the setting of 'Namarie', if you get the recording BeeBombadil was talking about, its pretty much the same tune that JRRT sings, with a little accompaniment added.

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 03:04 AM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sting

I had never heard of that CD collection before. I'll have to try and find it. I don't know if J.R.R.T had it in mind or not, but I think the tune that 'The Road Goes Ever On' is set to on the animated The Return of the King suits the words perfectly.