The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
GafferGamgee
Newly Deceased

GafferGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Is that a text by Tolkien?

Years ago I read an english text about a young poet, who knows war only from stories and he dreams of being "worthy to go to war" with the kings men.
One day that happens and he finds out war is different, in the first battle one of his best friends is killed and the text is about him reflecting about this.

The text is not about middleearth, but about some time on our real earth as far as I remember. Nevertheless I think the text might be written by Tolkien, but I am not sure. Do you know a text by Tolkien about this topic?

Thank you so much!
GafferGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What you describe is vaguely similar to The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth http://www.thetolkienwiki.org/wiki.c...of__Beorhtnoth
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Begging your pardon, but there have been too many war poets who might have felt honor-related stuff and wrote about it... Tolkien isn't the only one.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale
Begging your pardon, but there have been too many war poets who might have felt honor-related stuff and wrote about it... Tolkien isn't the only one.
True enough that there were many war poets who wrote about their experiences in the trenches of WWI. Yet Tolkien's response to the war was somewhat different from that of most well-known war poets, and that qualitative difference could be what charactertises GafferGamgee's memory.

Perhaps GafferGamgee could explain why he thinks this memory text was by Tolkien?