The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2003, 09:04 PM   #1
Lady Of Light
Animated Skeleton

Lady Of Light has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Lady Of Light Send a message via AIM to Lady Of Light
Sting The Shire's Trouble

I just finished LOTR the second time through, and I wondered about "The Scouring of the Shire". It was never fully clear to me what initially caused those problems. I know that Saruman important, but did Lotho have anything to do with the beginning of it? It seems to me that the destruction was quite far-reaching, and I doubt that Saruman was there for long enough to start it (remember they met him on the way to Rivendell, and he was on foot.)

What, do you think, was his full purpose? Was he so far off his rocker that it was just to spite the hobbits? I'm interested to know what you think! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2003, 10:21 PM   #2
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Well, Lotho was truly the initiater of the problem. He began to sell the best Leaf off to "somehwhere" (presumably Saruman). After he began to make enough money he bought up other property in the shire. Sandyman's mill for instance. Then he began to sell things besides Leaf, such as food, off and out of the Shire. To control the Hobbits who were getting angry about him selling all the food they'd need for winter, he brought in the "ruffians" who in time took over. So the destruction was half-complete by the time Saruman got there.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 11:08 PM   #3
Cazoz
Haunting Spirit

Cazoz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was also clearly implied that Saruman had dealings with Bree-folk, as the half orc-men who were seen in Bree were also seen in Isengard. Was the Greenway not a rather busy axis between Isengard and Bree/the Shire for these folk in the Scouring? From what I remember, most of them lived (or hung around) in the Southfarthing, not only because of the weed but also as it was closest to Isengard I would bet. And when they were first assaulted, I again believe (I am rusty!) that reinforcements came from the South.

I would also speculate that Bill Ferny would have some part to play, although I imagine it was rather less important than he would reckon [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Cazoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 06:37 PM   #4
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ah, such is the fate of Bill Ferny [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2003, 12:47 AM   #5
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It wasn't until the Dunedain were called away that the ruffians moved in, if that helps with a timeline. Saruman also knew much of the Shire's layout ahead of time because of his visits there. He was able to sweet talk many people and so I'm sure he had no trouble with old Lotho. So perhaps that helped the cause of the ruffians who began to arrive, the half-orcs were almost certainly Saruman sent. But it wasn't until Sharkey arrived that the true destruction took place, as opposed to regular old ransacking.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:40 AM   #6
Jurion
Haunting Spirit

Jurion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lotho was a henchman of Saruman but he was 'evil' for a longer time, Not so much evil in a Sauronlike way, but more in a way of gaining more power and respect in the Shire. This was something that Saruman and his ruffians could build on, Lotho got power from them but was controlled by them from behind the scenes. After a while the ruffians and Saruman just took over themselves, removing the middleman Lotho.
Jurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:47 AM   #7
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I think the point of Lotho was to show that there are always weak, foolish people who are easily impressed by the actions of the truly wicked and ready to do their bidding.
Tar-Palantir - I wasn't aware that Saruman had ever visited the Shire before he was evicted from Orthanc?
Old 01-28-2003, 08:02 AM   #8
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's in U.T Laliath. He appeared there in secret over the years because of his interest in Gandalfs doings, and many Hobbits mistook him for Gandalf. Gandalf found it quite funny, and so do I. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote