The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-29-2006, 11:22 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien May I suggest?

To the admins- have you ever seen lotrplaza.com? Would you consider adding some forum groups they have there onto here? They have a heap of interesting topics.
MatthewM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:54 AM   #2
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM
To the admins- have you ever seen lotrplaza.com? Would you consider adding some forum groups they have there onto here? They have a heap of interesting topics.
I've popped over there a few times, even stuck a few quick comments on there occasionally when I felt inclined. Not a big fan of their approach to Tolkien. There are some very informed fans who post there but they tend not to be as open minded as we are over here. They tend not to be very 'speculative' in their approach either, or sufficiently objective. Plus, their tendency to refer to Tolkien as 'The Master' is something I find a bit creepy to be honest. But all that is just my opinion.

However, to each their own & I'm not into criticising other Tolkien fans (unless they don't agree with everything I say - which really just reveals their ignorance & lack of insight, of course). If they're happy over there good for them.

If you find a subject they introduce over there (or anywhere else) interesting you're free to suggest it for discussion here. I'm sure things have been suggested to me by things I've seen on other boards as I've skimmed them. My recent thread on Boorman's proposed version of LotR was inspired by mentions I'd seen on about three or four other Tolkien boards.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:36 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I second what davem said - bring the interesting topics here! It's actually good that each Tolkien board has its own specific flair and flavour; wouldn't it be boring if they were all the same?! For those who enjoy two different kinds of boards, it's always possible to take part in both.

I know some other boards allow off-topic, i.e. non-Tolkien discussions; The Barrow-Wight has decided not to permit those here, and as he is the site owner, he has the last word.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
If you ever notice a Boromir88 on the plaza, I swear it's not me, it's an outer body experience I have.

Honestly though I have to respectfully disagree with davem's assertions. I've learned a lot from the plaza, and seen even the most respected and greatest Tolkien minds over there have their minds changed and altered...afterall I went toe-to-toe with one of them ,

But the downs is my first and always adored Tolkien forum. I mean where else can you chat with characters like davem, Fea, phantom, Eomer, Mith, Lal, gil...etc
Old 06-30-2006, 03:57 PM   #5
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Honestly though I have to respectfully disagree with davem's assertions. I've learned a lot from the plaza, and seen even the most respected and greatest Tolkien minds over there have their minds changed and altered...afterall I went toe-to-toe with one of them ,
I crop up occasionally as Captain Bingo. I went over recently to mention the Anniversary of the start of the Somme, as I wanted to make other fans aware of the event.

However, I don't think anyone wants this thread to be a critique of that Forum, so if anything I posted earlier seemed negative I apologise. I still feel the fans over there seem to be unwilling to question or analyse Tolkien's motives or attitudes. Its very much 'Tolkien is The Master, which title, as I said, strikes me as a bit creepy & beyond even hero-worship. However, I suppose its just respect, but I'm not sure Tolkien would have liked it at all.

Anyway, each to their own as I said. The atmosphere here is more to my liking & I'm leaving it there....
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:25 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
I don't think anyone wants this thread to be a critique of that Forum
Quite so. Let's refrain from criticism and comparison; if some members here wish to tell us what they like about other sites and boards, no objection. And you're welcome to mention what it is that particularly attracts you to this forum. But let's avoid any "better/worse than..." posts. After all, friendliness and openness are characteristics of the Downs that are frequently mentioned!

edit: This thread is board-related rather than a Tolkien discussion; therefore I'm moving it to the Barrow-Downs forum. Please continue reading and posting there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 07-01-2006 at 06:23 AM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:18 PM   #7
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
I've popped over there a few times, even stuck a few quick comments on there occasionally when I felt inclined. Not a big fan of their approach to Tolkien. There are some very informed fans who post there but they tend not to be as open minded as we are over here. They tend not to be very 'speculative' in their approach either, or sufficiently objective. Plus, their tendency to refer to Tolkien as 'The Master' is something I find a bit creepy to be honest. But all that is just my opinion..
I must agree. I won't lie, I had some damaging conversations there once. I know we are staying away from critiquing that board, but I agree with your opinion. They just aren't that open minded, and the older scholars there tend to be a walking textbook with no room for opinion or creative thinking on Tolkien and his characters.
MatthewM is offline   Reply With Quote