The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-20-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
Hyarion
Pile O'Bones

Hyarion has just left Hobbiton.
New LotR DVDs

Not sure how authentic this is but I just read that in August New Line will be releasing new LotR DVDs with both the theatrical and EE versions as well as a bonus documentary. I think I'll hold my breath until I see it on Amazon or Walmart or something. It looks like I'll have to cough up $90 for all three so I can watch the documentary once and let them collect dust on my shelves next to the others.

Full story
Hyarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyarion
Not sure how authentic this is but I just read that in August New Line will be releasing new LotR DVDs with both the theatrical and EE versions as well as a bonus documentary. I think I'll hold my breath until I see it on Amazon or Walmart or something. It looks like I'll have to cough up $90 for all three so I can watch the documentary once and let them collect dust on my shelves next to the others.

Full story
Just posted a link to this on movies 'cos I missed this (asked Esty to remove it.) Not impressed. Seems like a last ditch cash in before the HD dvd versions come out in a couple of years.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
The idea of both movie versions and a documentary on two discs sounds fishy by itself, even if they are those dual-layer, double-sided type. But technical details aside, "refresh the franchise", when properly translated, means "see if we can lure fans into shelling out one more time". I mean, what could possibly be in those documentaries that would make them worth paying $90 to see?
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Its a familiar thing for collectors of the little action figures. They brought out several box sets which included at least one 'exclusive' figure, something quite unusual and cool (in terms of action figures anyway, though those who don't like action figures would strongly disagree ), like a Mumakil Rider or Celeborn. These would also include several figures that would have been so easy to find you'd get them in bargain bins. Thus attempting to extract an extra £20-£30 from collectors.

I'd be tempted to get the DVDs if they had good documentaries about Tolkien or fandom, but not if they had more 'making of' documentaries, as I found them tiresome anyway after several hours of them.