The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-10-2006, 06:18 AM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Mirror Crack'd: Fear and Horror in J. R. R. Tolkien's Major Works

I've just been reading that as part of their 'International Medieval Congress', Leeds University will include a 90 minute slot with papers on Tolkien. Quite interesting, having an Institute for Medieval Studies in the post-Stalinist landscape of Leeds....

The info on the papers is as follows:

Quote:
Session Details
Session: 1515
Title: The Mirror Crack'd: Fear and Horror in J. R. R. Tolkien's Major Works
Date / Time: July 13, 2006 09.00-10.30

Sponsor: The Tolkien Society

Organiser: Lynn Forest-Hill, Tolkien Society, Southampton

Moderator: Patricia Reynolds, Department of Archaeology, University of York

Paper
1515-a: Barrows, Wights, and Ordinary People: The Unquiet Dead in The Lord of the Rings
(Language: English)
Amy Amendt-Raduege, Department of English, Marquette University, Wisconsin
Paper
1515-b: From Beowulf to the Balrogs: The Roots of Fantastic Horror in The Lord of the Rings
Raffaella Benvenuto, Tolkien Society, Roma
Paper
1515-c: Evil Reputations?: Images of Wolves in Tolkien's Fiction
Julie Pridmore, Unisa Medieval Association, University of South Africa, Pretoria

Abstract: Tolkien's medievalism includes his evocation of fear and horror by drawing on images of fear and horror that were traditional in early medieval northern European myth and folklore. The papers in this session variously address Tolkien's development of imagery associated with wolves, the undead, and the fear of entombment, from sources such as Norse Sagas, the Eddas, and Anglo-Saxon poetry (including Beowulf). The papers discuss humanity's continuing fascination with these ancient symbols of fear and horror as Tolkien presents them to new generations of readers in his major works, and their function in those works.
Here is the weblink. I can't find any indication of prices, or indeed if non-members can attend, though if anyone was in Leeds on July 13th it might be worth trying to sneak in at the back of the room.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Here is the registration form with prices. Tempting thought but why does the Southampton woman have to organise it at the other end of the country...? It is over 5 hours by train and the university doesn't look too central....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-10-2006 at 11:23 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Palantir-Green

Sounds like something I would love to go to. If I wasn't poor and living across the Pond.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush
Sounds like something I would love to go to. If I wasn't poor and living across the Pond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Tempting thought but why does the Southampton woman have to organise it at the other end of the country...? It is over 5 hours by train and the university doesn't look too central....
Rather makes Mithalwen's five hours by train pale by comparison, eh wot?

I think we should collectively encourage Eomer to do that back of the room slinking, particularly for that Images of wolves in Tolkien's fiction paper.

I would think there would be some very interesting discussion on what constitutes horror and how Tolkien presents it, given his sideways glance at evil in LotR. Come to think of it, that would make a great topic for our own discussions here. Instead of Tolkien and other fantasy, Tolkien and horror. hmmm.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Rather makes Mithalwen's five hours by train pale by comparison, eh wot?
Have you been on an English train recently? I like trains - I went across America twice in three and a bit weeks by train including a 2.5 day leg between Seattle and Chicago. I have inter-railed round Europe and done other major rail journeys in NZ, Aus and the USSR ( one day I will do the Trans siberian). English trains are filthy, slow, uncomfortable and expensive. Southampton is only 20 minutes away and Leeds is in the Grim Upnorth ... and what really worries me is that the journey with 4 changes of train is quicker than the one with 2 .. that is just unnatural....

If the conference were across the Pond it would be more tempting to me too ....

Old 04-24-2006, 04:28 PM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Have you been on an English train recently? I like trains - I went across America twice in three and a bit weeks by train including a 2.5 day leg between Seattle and Chicago. I have inter-railed round Europe and done other major rail journeys in NZ, Aus and the USSR ( one day I will do the Trans siberian). English trains are filthy, slow, uncomfortable and expensive. Southampton is only 20 minutes away and Leeds is in the Grim Upnorth ... and what really worries me is that the journey with 4 changes of train is quicker than the one with 2 .. that is just unnatural....

If the conference were across the Pond it would be more tempting to me too ....
Leeds (spit) is truly an horrific place to travel to or from by train anyway. It has rather a lot of aggressive commuters and students and if by unlucky chance you happen to be due to board a train there, you are liable to be trampled to death in the animalistic crush to get on board. Far better to stick with the car (but buy petrol before you go as they have no filling stations)! Or not to go at all as it's not exactly the most civilised of cities. If you have to go, go directly to your destination and do not linger. I have many a horror story... I live in Sheffield of course.

I have the feeling that Tolkien wasn't exactly a fan either.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

My cousin went there to a conference and said the train journey was not to be attempted... but I change cars .... it is a long way for my old banger and I have no sense of direction. And I have been put off sat nav by the experience of my previous boss who was routed via Scunthorpe between Sheffield and Chirstchurch because despite roadworks his unit had Thatcherite leanings and would not allow U-turns!