The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-15-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
Dargoth of Morkrond
Pile O'Bones

Location: 'In the Realm of Gondor, by the Anduin River, in North Ithilien in a place called Minas Tirith.'
Dargoth of Morkrond has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dargoth of Morkrond Send a message via MSN to Dargoth of Morkrond Send a message via Yahoo to Dargoth of Morkrond
Wizard's Mission

Anyone know about the mission of the Wizards in Middle-Earth??
Dargoth of Morkrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
They were sent from Valinor to help unite the free peoples of Middle-Earth. However, they were prevented from using power to dominate Elves and Men, or to match Sauron's power with their own. Out of Alatar, Pallando, Curumo (Saruman), Olorin (Gandalf) and Aiwendil (Radagast), only Gandalf stayed true to his purpose.

Saruman as well all know became evil and was killed by Wormtongue, Radagast became enamoured of birds and nature in ME, while the fate of Alatar and Pallando is unknown. We do know however, that they travelled into the East with Saruman, but even Tolkien seems unsure about what happened to them afterwards-

Quote:
'What success they [Alatar and Pallando] had I do not know; but I fear they failed, as Saruman did, though doubtless in different ways; and I suspect they were the founders or beginners of secret cults and 'magic' traditions that outlasted the fall of Sauron.'
(The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, No. 211).

Hope that answers your question! Welcome to the Barrow-Downs by the way.

Last edited by Fingolfin II; 05-15-2004 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to Welcome
Fingolfin II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
Dargoth of Morkrond
Pile O'Bones

Location: 'In the Realm of Gondor, by the Anduin River, in North Ithilien in a place called Minas Tirith.'
Dargoth of Morkrond has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dargoth of Morkrond Send a message via MSN to Dargoth of Morkrond Send a message via Yahoo to Dargoth of Morkrond
Thumbs up

Thanks indeed for both, the answer and the welcome, but maybe I was wondering if u could tell me the pg in the book where Mithrandil speaks of this with Denethor (I think).

Either that or tell me exactly what he says.
Dargoth of Morkrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 02:35 AM   #4
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
I can't exactly remember the page and Gandalf's exact words, but he says something like 'The rule of no realm is mine, big or small' (or something to that effect). He also says that he is a steward (I'm guessing he means he is a steward of Manwe).
Old 05-16-2004, 06:53 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Dargoth, welcome to the Downs! Fingolfin already gave a partial quote of Gandalf's speech with Denethor - it is located in RotK, several pages into the first chapter, 'Minas Tirith'. (I doubt that we have the same book edition, so giving you a page number wouldn't help.)

If you'd like more information on the wizards, also called 'Istari', try entering 'wizard' or 'Istari' into the search function, specifying the Books forum. You'll find loads of information and discussion there. Enjoy!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 09:38 AM   #6
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Istari

Here is a quote that nicely sums up the business & nature of the Istari in Middle-earth:

"...they came from over the Sea out of the Uttermost West; though this was for long known only to Círdan, Guardian of the Third Ring, master of the Grey Havens, who saw their landings upon the western shores. Emissaries they were from the Lords of the West, the Valar, who still took counsel for the governance of Middle-earth, and when the shadow of Sauron began first to stir again took this means of resisting him. For with the consent of Eru they sent members of their own high order, but clad in bodies as of Men, real and not feigned, but subject to the fears and pains and weariness of earth, able to hunger and thirst and be slain; though because of their noble spirits they did not die, and aged only by the cares and labours of many long years. And this the Valar did, desiring to amend the errors of old, especially that they had attempted to guard and seclude the Eldar by their own might and glory fully revealed; whereas now their emissaries were forbidden to reveal themselves in forms of majesty, or to seek to rule the wills of Men or Elves by open display of power, but coming in shapes weak and humble were bidden to advise and persuade Men and Elves to do good, and to seek to unite in love and understanding all those whom Sauron, should he come again, would endeavour to dominate or corrupt." (Unfinished Tales, "The Istari")

My recommendation would be to buy or check out the Unfinished Tales & read this essay in its entirety, & also perhaps to do the same with the Silmarillion, particularly the section "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age".

Gandalf saying that he is a steward implies that he is a 'caretaker' of Middle-earth, an upholder of morality & goodness, & a leader of the free peoples of Middle-earth in the battle against the forces of evil.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."

Last edited by Son of Númenor; 05-16-2004 at 09:43 AM.
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:40 AM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Definition of "wizard's mission."

Tolkien wrote in his letters that Gandalf was the only one to stay true to the "mission" of uniting the free peoples. I have some assumptions on Radagast, however, since he was sent by Yavanna his mission could have been much different. Being that it was Yavanna that sent him it makes sense Radagast would fall in love with nature, and take care of its animals, and his mission could have actually been to do that, and to aid Gandalf if he needed it. As for the "mission" of uniting the free peoples and to stand against Sauron, yes, only Gandalf stayed true to that cause. Not enough info was said on Alatar and Pallando, their involvement could of very well had something to do with lets say bringing down Sauron, but that is only speculation, it is most likely they just went into the East and did their own business.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 05:55 PM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

I have always felt uncomfortable with the quote referring to Gandalf being the only one to succeed in the 'mission' of the Istari, since it devalues those others who were sent but who did not (necessarily) fail in the same way that Saruman did. I am reluctant, for example, to accept that Radagast 'failed', even though he might not have been instumental in the defeat of Sauron in the same way that Gandalf was. It seems to me, therefore, that the distinction suggested by Boromir88's post is an important one. While Gandalf may have been the only one to succeed in their 'general' mission, namely to counsel and guide the Free Peoples and thereby assist them in bringing about the defeat of Sauron, I like to think that Radagast succeeded in his own 'personal' mission, to care for the flora and the fauna of Middle-earth.

I also like to think that Alatar and Pallando succeeded in their own way, possibly by counselling some Men of the East against allying themselves with Sauron, and thereby depleting the forces available to him. Although that is pure speculation and more difficult to square with the statement that Gandalf was the only one who succeeded.

Of course, Gandalf was (as far as we are aware) the only one to receive a 'turbo-boost' (following his 'death' in the fight with the Balrog of Moria), which seems to have allowed him to use his powers more directly, and with more devastating effect, thereafter.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:16 PM   #9
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
I too feel that Radaghast was sold short; he is sort of like the free-spirited, nature-loving son who decides not to take over the family business. As honorable as the family business may be, you cannot discredit the son too much for choosing a life that revolves around understanding & interacting with the natural world, instead of the business world. Of course, this analogy trivializes the whole affair, but you get my drift.

But Saucepan Man, can we be sure about Alatar & Pallando? In the "Istari" essay in Unfinished Tales it says:
Quote:
Of the Blue little was known in the West... for they passed into the East with Curunír, but they never returned, and whether they remained in the East, pursuing there the purposes for which they were sent; or perished; or as some hold were ensnared by Sauron and became his servants, is not now known. But none of these chances were impossible to be; for, strange indeed though this may seem, the Istari, being clad in bodies of Middle-earth, might even as Men and Elves fall away from their purposes, and do evil, forgetting the good in the search for power to effect it.
It is uncertain whether they truly stayed in the East to fulfill their purpose, or whether they turned to evil or stopped caring; though I agree that declaring that they have failed without any substantial evidence does not seem justified.

Ironically, the last statement about "forgetting the good in the search for power to effect it" seems to tie in with the 'Tolkien, Technology & War' discussion, since the same statement can be applied to the scientific minds who attempt to make great strides that benefit humanity only to create things like the atom bomb. But that is a topic for another thread.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:20 PM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots The Blue Wizards

Quote:
But Saucepan Man, can we be sure about Alatar & Pallando?
No, we can't. I just prefer to look at their glass as half full.