The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-16-2002, 10:09 PM   #1
Quellelithion

Tolkien THE SILMARILLION IS AN AMAZING BOOK!

I just finished reading it, and i'm like wow, wow, wow, wow, it's a sweet book. It tells the tales of teh first age in full length detail, and then not as in geat deatil the second and third age. It just made sense of everything, of how things came to be (eg the 7 seeing stones, dwellings of races, etc.). There's also a lot of war, great book, 10/10!
Old 12-16-2002, 10:11 PM   #2
Quellelithion

Sting

I REALLY RECCOMEND THIS BOOK FOR ALL THOSE THAT HAVE FINISHED READING THE TRILOGY!
Old 12-16-2002, 10:28 PM   #3
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Quote:
it's a sweet book
'Tis

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 07:10 PM   #4
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I actually prefer it over LotR. Just because of the magnitude of the history it gives.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:37 PM   #5
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I like it, though not to the same degree as LotR. Totally your preference. They are written in slightly different styles, because of course, one is more a history than an adventure. Both are great and yes, I also recommended this book to anyone who has read the trilogy, just love it.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:04 PM   #6
Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Eye

I do agree that The Silmarillion is a great book. I love it! It filled my head with so much information on elves, whom I love. My favorite stories were that of Beren and Luthien, and Of Turin Turambar.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:18 PM   #7
Rina
Pile O'Bones

Rina has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I just started The Silmarillion the other day, and am already caught up in it. It is very different from The Lord of the Rings. In LOTR, you get to know the characters and their personalities, in the Silmarillion, it is more of the history of the different peoples.

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: Rina ]

"God is the Lord, of angels, and of men - and of elves."
Rina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 12:07 AM   #8
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay now that you finished the Silmarillion you have to read the Unfinished Tales. Hurry while all the characters are still fresh in your mind!! The UT really fleshes out alot of the stories that you read of in the Sill.

Oh by the whay what was your favorite part of the Silmarillion?
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 03:46 AM   #9
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Then go to the Histories! That is another total change of style. The Sil is excelent, but it is best if you read it before LoTRs, or when you haven't read LoTRs for a while.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:47 AM   #10
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh yeah and Beren and Luthien hardly ever get the mention they deserve. It is one of the most amazing stories ever. In the film it was summed up as "She was an Elf who loved the man Beren" "what happened?" "She died". ho hum.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:01 AM   #11
ColletteTook
Shade of Carn Dûm

ColletteTook has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to ColletteTook Send a message via AIM to ColletteTook
Sting

I love the descriptions of the Valar. How Varda brought the stars to being so the First Borns could look upon them as they awoke. I haven't finished just yet, but so far the book is amazing.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:48 AM   #12
zacattack
Haunting Spirit

zacattack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes I must agree that this book is actually the best I have ever read.My favourite part of it was either
Of Tour and the Fall of Gondolin
Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin
or Of the Fifth Battle:Nirnaeth Arnoediad
zacattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:56 PM   #13
Gurlie

Sting

THe Sillmarillion is awesome I am almost finished
Old 03-03-2003, 06:54 PM   #14
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Quellelithion, you are so right. I recently finished reading it too, having given up on it on my first attempt many, many years ago. It is an amazing book. Very moving in parts, being how it is so tragic and all. The greatest tragedy of all, as you read it, is you know that Feanor's oath is behind everything and that, until it is either discharged or Feanor's line ended, there will be no let up from the suffering.

And may I echo Turoch's advice. I am currently reading the Unfinished Tales and would highly recommend it as a follow-up to the Silmarillion.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:03 PM   #15
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As much as I love the LotR [especially the chapters in Lothlorien, Rivendell and with Gildor, the later writings of JRRT, found mostly in UT, Morgoth's Ring, War of the Jewels, Peoples of Middle-Earth and to a lesser degree the Silmarillion itself, are my favorites. The richness of description, the depth and euphony and power of the writing kept increasing until he essentially ceased narrative writing and withdrew into primarily elvish historico-linguistic notes and filling in obscure corners of the Legendarium like Cirdan and Glorfindel and the Druedain.

Anyway the following link gives some ideas of what is in store for the reder of the latter writings of JRRT.

Enjoy!

[ March 03, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 09:23 PM   #16
Erunno of Mirkwood

Sting

Suillinan,

I must agree wholly, I just started reading it Sunday morning (after going crazy and buying most of Tolkiens works) and I am absolutely captivated by it. For religious types out there I have found it reads much like the bible so far. Very ancient in setting, very deep in context and hard to follow. I found one amazing allegory on page 38, where Aule created the dwarves before Eru had sent the Firstborn of his design to Arda and he says quote: "But I will not suffer this: that these should come before the Firstborn of my design, nor that thy impatience should be rewarded. They shal sleep now in the darkness under stone, and shall nt come forth until the Firstborn have awakened upon Earth; and until that time thou and they shall wait, though long it seem. But when the time comes I will awaken them, and they shall be to thee as children; and often strife shall arise between thine and mine, the children of my adoption and the children of my choice"

I see the tale of Isaac and Ishmael, but that's my personal judgement of course, I say not what Tokien meant at heart.