The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2003, 08:01 PM   #1
Nyneve
Animated Skeleton

Nyneve has just left Hobbiton.
Question Ignorance: Plague Upon Humanity

Some people are just soooo stupid. I can't stand it. I was on this guy's website. All it was, was making fun of the Lord of the Rings. People are entitled to their own opinion, but I think this man should have been arrested!! He acted as if the books came out after the Movie!! You know, one of those 'movie novels.' It was supposed to be a joke, but it wasn't at all funny!

[ May 01, 2003: Message edited by: Nyneve ]
Old 05-01-2003, 09:46 PM   #2
Cazoz
Haunting Spirit

Cazoz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Whoa, slow down!

Having seen a few of these sites, I imagine the purpose was irony; in most cases the creators of these spoofs are among the most ardent fans. If you hated something so much, why would you immerse yourself in it?

I personally find the spoofs funny and am positive they're all compiled by fans of both books and movies. Have you read the Very Secret Diaries or those puppet scripts? Try another mockery site and see if you prefer that one [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Cazoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 12:38 AM   #3
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Yeah, don't worry about it. Why should you care what these people do with LotR?

[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 12:43 AM   #4
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

I'm in agreement with Cazoz here. If you've ever been to a parody site or something of the sort and spoken to the creators, they would most likely tell you that it was all in good fun and that love the books/movies, and they meant no offence to anyone in anyway. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 04:07 AM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Those things are really quite amusing. I know the people are often actually fans, but even if they are not, it is great fun to sit there, read their comments, and have a good laugh because we all know better.
Do you have the address for this site? I would like to see what they say (and I want to laugh [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])
I don't actually know why we should be so serious over these things. Even if they are seriously trying to put Lotr down, it doesn't bother me. Its not a big deal if thats how they feel. I mean, I despise many things that have a severe cult following/worshipping, so I'm hardly one to judge.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:29 AM   #6
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

You're all prbably right; it was more than likely a parody site. But since we're on the topic of people's ignorance...after my mom and I saw TTT together(her first time, my third), she actually thought that Legolas and Haldir were brothers! And what's even worse, she's read the books! (Though it was many years ago) [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2003, 02:54 PM   #7
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I hate the girls that get so into the movies, but only because of Legolas, and even then, they can't remember his name! They always call him "that blonde elf guy". [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] ARGH!! Curses upon the Nazgirls!!!
Old 05-02-2003, 03:33 PM   #8
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I have a different opinion. I am as ardent a fan of LotR spoofs as any of you (especially the "Short Summary of TTT" on Ninecompanions [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] and a few others), I think that even though people are entitled to their own ways of being a fan, spoofing not the least (is that a word? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ), sometimes the spoofs are just plain idiotic and "a waste of cyberspace". 'Kay, done ranting.

~Menelien
Old 05-02-2003, 06:41 PM   #9
Nyneve
Animated Skeleton

Nyneve has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Maybe you don't understand. If you send this guy an e-mail just saying hi, he stars insulting and cursing at you. And don't think I am some kind of weirdo that can't take a joke! I can take a joke! I love the secret diaries and those 'summaries' people write. It is just that this guy was offending. I am not a homourless loser! Spoofs are awesome! Thumbwars, thumtanic, spaceballs... actually, one could make a really good LOTR spoof. (one I would watch!) I generally don't care about these things but this guy just ****ed me off! Why else would I take type to post this?
Old 05-02-2003, 06:53 PM   #10
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think you just need to realize what you said yourself. "People have their own opinions". They have a right to them as well. I'm sure this guy didn't post it to get anyone mad, and I'm sure that he's just not into this type of things. Yes, he's ignorant, but not for having an opinion. Go back and read your own words. You will find how rediculous it is to get upset over things like this. I used to do it myself, but after a while I learned to let it go by. If you don't like what he writes, then don't go to his website. It's as easy as that. Just remember that people are not bad people just because they like to express their opinions more outwardly than others. That's all it is...an opinion.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 01:06 PM   #11
Annúnlótëiel
Animated Skeleton

Annúnlótëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree that people can have thier own opinions, but I do think that they should be kept to ones self if they are offending. I mean If I read a site with stuff bashing LOTR or LOTR, I don't know. I love the stories so much it would probably hurt me. The reason is that , me personally, no matter how much I diliked something I would never bash people who liked it. And I could never make something "spoofing" of LOTR as a joke...

I am probably much to serious of a person though....

sigo mi corazón
Annúnlótëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 01:07 PM   #12
Annúnlótëiel
Animated Skeleton

Annúnlótëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

sorry I cannot spell today..

sigo mi corazón
Annúnlótëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 11:20 AM   #13
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

I really do appreciate parodies (Stupid Ring in particular) but I hate when people get like that kind of humor, even though I have immense respect for Tolkien's work.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:30 PM   #14
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Sting

Quote:
I hate the girls that get so into the movies, but only because of Legolas, and even then, they can't remember his name! They always call him "that blonde elf guy". ARGH!! Curses upon the Nazgirls!!!
Heh, 'Nazgirls'. I gotta start using that one more often....
"And he sang to them, now in the Elven tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 05:10 PM   #15
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Yes...now the Legolas lovers are pretty stupid, but, hey, if they want to spend six bucks just to see this dude they think is 'hot', I say let them.

A good example of what you spoke of Nyneve is this: Two Towers Review

and

50 Reasons Why LOTR Sucks

They are pretty funny (I think), as long as you don't take them seriously. I've said this so many times before, I, and many other people, love to make fun of things I really like. Why do you think there are so many LOTR parodies out there? Like Cazoz said, if they hated it, why would they bother to even really find out what it is about. So, seriously, enjoy them. Some are hilarious.

But, you aren't the only person who reacts this way. Many people take those types of sites seriously. Even the one I put links to. People freak out all the time, cussing the site out, all because they think their serious. On the same site they have a "Shut Down the Matrix" petition. People actual take this thing seriously. It's scary!

Now, it is pretty easy to believe that they're serious when they make fun of LOTR because they trash it so much. And just about any movie more than thirty people know about...

Okay, but, you're saying this guy is serious and he's a real ****er. Well, all you gotta do is ignore it. The dude really is at a loss of allies, that you should know. A question: how does he bash it? I mean, if he trashes it in detail, he's screwed up. Again (Cazoz quoting) If he really hates it, why his he immersing himself in it? So, he's just a real stupid person.

Oh, and he cusses you out? Cuss him out back! And get creative! I'll help. Oh, and Helka is really good at that. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway...my input...

Nazgirls? Didn't they start a club or something here? I thought I saw...

P.S. - "Nyneve" = "Nyneave" = Wheel of Time
??

[ May 16, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 08:02 PM   #16
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That was truly disturbing. Wow, how I hate those films and what they've subjected the story to. It's horrible. His apology even made me more sickened. I truly feel like I'm going to vomit. Ugh. The utter repusion. I feel like leaving the Downs and renouncing my love of Tolkien to everyone but myself.

Iarwain
Old 05-16-2003, 08:19 PM   #17
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
The Eye

Damn whoever rote 50 resons why LOTR sucks seriously needs to do a little research and better yet read the books. They should have done that before they made all that crap into a website. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[ May 16, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 08:24 PM   #18
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

*staggers* I'm with Iarwain. I realize that I don't have to take every idiot in the world seriously, but there's a serious loss of dignity here.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 10:09 PM   #19
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

I made my sister read the 50 resons article and shes not as big as a fan as I am. But you should have seen her reactions. She was so POed about how stupid that person was, and she was yelling and cussing out the computer screen. It is actually quite funny. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 12:10 AM   #20
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

This has already been said, but I just think it is one big laughable joke. Would anyone be so ignorant as to assume that the movies came before the books?
Maybe we should all just let this go.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 01:30 AM   #21
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Ring

Quote:
I think you just need to realize what you said yourself. "People have their own opinions". They have a right to them as well. I'm sure this guy didn't post it to get anyone mad, and I'm sure that he's just not into this type of things. Yes, he's ignorant, but not for having an opinion. Go back and read your own words. You will find how rediculous it is to get upset over things like this. I used to do it myself, but after a while I learned to let it go by. If you don't like what he writes, then don't go to his website. It's as easy as that. Just remember that people are not bad people just because they like to express their opinions more outwardly than others. That's all it is...an opinion.
That is exactly what I would have said!

Oh don’t worry about people like that! They just aren’t the Middle-earthish type, and I supose not everyone can be... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 03:12 AM   #22
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Several miles over the madness horizon and accelerating
Bekah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bekah
Sting

By about reason 20 I felt so disgusted I stopped reading them. Either this guy has a really bad sense of humour or he's quite stupid.

That's a logical fallacy, but I don't want to think about that right now...

~ Elentari II
Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 08:50 AM   #23
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Quote:
By about reason 20 I felt so disgusted I stopped reading them. Either this guy has a really bad sense of humour or he's quite stupid.
I think he has both a bad sense of humour and he’s stupid!

P.S. Off topic: Hey Bekah you are almost a Ghost Prince of Cardolan [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 09:47 AM   #24
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Uh...hello! The dude was joking! You actually take those reasons seriously! You people are the ultimate sticks in the mud! Seriously! No offense, but you kinda need to lighten up. Oh well. To each his (or her) own.

Myself, I thought the 50 reasons were quite funny...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 03:54 PM   #25
Iarwain

Boots

I'd hardly call it a joke, considering he "appologized" for what he wrote. Personally, I found the appology to be so disturbing that I got up from my computer with a sudden feeling of nausea. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Iarwain
Old 05-17-2003, 03:58 PM   #26
Iarwain

Boots

Uh, yes. I'd like to revoke my previous statement. I just read the rest of the reasons, and I think Durelin's right. The apology still disturbs me.

Iarwain
Old 05-17-2003, 05:48 PM   #27
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
Heh, 'Nazgirls'. I gotta start using that one more often....
There's a subdivision of the Nazgirls too: Leggie-boppers. Also a small percentage of Orli-boppers. Then there are the real insane, screaming hot guy drooling-overing kind of Nazgirl: the Nazgirly-girl. Kinda like Uruk-hai only with more make-up.

Durelin, I'll agree with you about the 50 reasons; they're so funny! (See people? You can love Tolkien's work and still laugh when people joke like that. It's not a sin or anything!!!)
Old 05-17-2003, 08:02 PM   #28
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Just to prevent myself the nausea you all were speaking of, I myself don't even give those threads a chance. Unless it's recomended to me, I stay away from stuff like that. It just makes me mad and I don't want to be mad.
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 08:06 PM   #29
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I aree with what Iarwain said in his second to lst post from now, though he himself later decided against it:
Quote:
I'd hardly call it a joke, considering he "appologized" for what he wrote. Personally, I found the appology to be so disturbing that I got up from my computer with a sudden feeling of nausea. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
~Menelien
Old 05-17-2003, 08:19 PM   #30
Iarwain

Boots

Oh, Menelien, it still makes me feel sick, but I'm not sure that they were written completely as a true complaint against the movies. The appology (I know I keep repeating this) is what really makes me cringe.

Iarwain
Old 05-18-2003, 10:00 PM   #31
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
Durelin, I'll agree with you about the 50 reasons; they're so funny! (See people? You can love Tolkien's work and still laugh when people joke like that. It's not a sin or anything!!!)
I can take a joke about LOTR, even if it doesn't seem like it. I don't mind too much when people make fun of Aragorn and Arwen, or Legolas and Gimli or other characters. I don't mind when they make fun of the movie. I find some of the things they do to it quite funny.

But the 50 reasons is a very bad joke, and one that doesn't seem funny, to me at least.

If one is going to make fun of LOTR, they can at least make a good joke of it, and not create something so lacking of humour that it is mistaken for stupidity by many people.

Cheers,

~ Elentari II
Old 05-22-2003, 12:48 AM   #32
Cazoz
Haunting Spirit

Cazoz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lighten up people! You actually thought there might be a serious tone behind comments like this: "The character of Elrond was based on Agent Smith from The Matrix." ??
Its obviously in jest. If simply having a clue and not taking everything so literally isn't enough, the fact that the same guy then proceeds to give The Matrix the same treatment should make you realise he's messing about. Yikes, do you guys take everything so seriously and literally?

And the apology I also found quite funny. Yes, it was sarcastic and yes, it was vitriolic but again I don't think it was added gratuitously, probably well deserved in fact!
I think it's a rebuttal to the oversensitive, humourless houseplants who were complaining to him by the bucketload and he flipped, writing something rude back. I bet the emails he received about the site were far more offensive, and personal too. They would have been about him, and not his favourite books/films. There is a difference!

Either that or the guy is clearly more zany and random than just plain mean. This comment particularly amused me:
Quote:
Demographic data shows the film also attracted a large number of homosexuals (hooray for Ian McKellen for breaking down the barrier for gays in action movies, paving the way for Vin Diesel) and was very big among High School dropouts and the mentally ill.
You cannot take this guy seriously, surely!
Cazoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 01:21 AM   #33
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

That's not the point. What he writes is humor. It's just that not all peoples' senses of humor are the same. I, personally, find this quite offensive and most certainly do not agree that it is funny. I don't believe any of us are thickheaded enough to believe that this was serious, but I think it's just a waste of the writer's and readers' time.

~Menelien

Edit: Happy 1500th to me, I guess.

[ May 22, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 05-22-2003, 08:44 PM   #34
GlingleglingleglingleFairy
Animated Skeleton

GlingleglingleglingleFairy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not so much angry at writers of bad slash etc, rather I pity them. If it makes them happy to waste time having other people made at them, then who am I to tell them to stop? On the other hand, for people who aren't easily disturbed, you really should check out bagenders

Some people prefer cupcakes. I for one care less for them.
GlingleglingleglingleFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 06:56 PM   #35
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Quote:
Ignorance: Plague Upon Humanity
I think Non-acceptance is the plague upon Humanity.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 07:31 PM   #36
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
I think Non-acceptance is the plague upon Humanity.
True enough, Beren87.
If one cannot leave another to his/her own opinions or 'humour', I say that that is just as bad as the offender's artless remarks themselves. To each his/her own. One needn't stoop to the offender's level by ranting on about him. Sometimes silence is the best rebuff.
Peace
Old 06-03-2003, 04:28 PM   #37
Ava

Sting

I found the '50 reasons..' list to be rather amusing, personally. By far not the funniest thing I have ever read, though. But obviously, it was supposed to be funny, it was supposed to be a joke. Maybe you didn't think it was funny, all right, that's fine, but don't criticize him for trying to make jokes about LotR in the first place, criticize him for not being able to make good jokes, for having a bad sense of humor.

You ought to be able to at least smile at well-done jokes and parodies of something, otherwise you're being a bit too serious.

People who are just blatantly stupid, on the other hand, are another matter. I have seen some of these really stupid people put some really stupid things online. That's when you just roll your eyes and close the window.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:05 PM   #38
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
You ought to be able to at least smile at well-done jokes and parodies of something, otherwise you're being a bit too serious.
Well said, Ava. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] If the people that write parodies have obviously put a lot of work into them, and are devoted to what they are doing, in addition to the writing being well done, I think you can appreciate what they are doing, even if you don't really agree with it. Even Tolkien-purists need to have fun sometimes, right? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2003, 03:08 AM   #39
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
Well said, Ava. If the people that write parodies have obviously put a lot of work into them, and are devoted to what they are doing, in addition to the writing being well done, I think you can appreciate what they are doing, even if you don't really agree with it. Even Tolkien-purists need to have fun sometimes, right?
The trouble is the 50 reasons aren't well done.

As Yavanna says, though: each to his own.

~ Elentari II
Old 06-07-2003, 10:21 AM   #40
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Tolkien

Quote:
the people that write parodies have obviously put a lot of work into them, and are devoted to what they are doing, in addition to the writing being well done, I think you can appreciate what they are doing
After all, there are million things to do with a work of literature. Characters heard and unheard of in a story alone are great to explore using your own imagination. I rarely pay any attention to these things, but it's kinda like fanfic, only it's really parody.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote