The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-18-2003, 08:21 PM   #1
Mandos
Wight

Mandos has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe The realm of Agmar.

I have always loved the kind of mystery of the realm of Agmar, and would like to discuss it. First, when was this realm founded, and by who? I of course know about the witch king, but who was he, a dark Numenearon? And when was this kingdom destroyed, and how was it destroyed? Finally, why was Agmar founded? I realize that it was majorly due to Agmar the Arnor was lost, but why did Agmar kind of disapear? I would like to hear your thoughts about these questions.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:04 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Angmar was created in the Third Age by the Witch-king (aka the Lord of the Nazgûl), to combat the Númenóreans in Arnor so Sauron's eventual return would be easier. The Witch-king's stronghold was Carn Dûm, and he successfully fought two of the houses of Arnor, while taking over the third. Angmar was finally destroyed by the combined might of Arthedain, Cardolan (the two good houses), Gondor, and the Eldar in Eriador. The Witch-king then fled back to Minas Morgul, gathered the other Ringwraiths, and took over there.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:29 PM   #3
Mandos
Wight

Mandos has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Did he use the wild men for soldiers, or orcs? He was a sorcerer, so did he ever use spirits like wights to do batle?
Old 01-19-2003, 12:14 AM   #4
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I have to say I love the mystery of Angmar and the Barrow Downs, and the old Forest. It's good to have it because I love to read about those parts. It makes me curious and intrigued. However, I have a question. I know the race of Dwarves isolated themselves and didn't like dealings with other affairs outside their race and realm. It seems that they are always busy exploring thier homes (mts.). So, I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was no. But here's my question: Did the dwarves in the Blue Mountains or the dwarves in Mount Gundabad (if there were any there) have any dealings, good or bad, with the realm of Angmar?

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 07:05 AM   #5
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Of course not. There were no dwarves in Mt. Gundabad. Mt. Gundabad was a stronghold of Orcs; I think that it was called "their capital" in The Hobbit. But the dwarves of Ered Luin and Khazad-dûm had dealings.

And to answer Mandos's question: the Witch-king used anyone he could. He used the orcs of Mt. Gundabad (and the rest of the Misty Mountains), and the Men of the house of Rhudar (sp?) (the bad house of Arnor). I'm not sure about evil spirits, though. There certainly weren't any Balrogs or dragons there. For more info (and better info) see Appendix A.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:49 AM   #6
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mt. Gundabad was originally a home of the Dwarves. Since it was the place where Durin the Deathless had awoken, it was a place of great importance to the Dwarves, and one at which assemblies of different kindreds used to be held. It is said that "its occupation in the Third age by the Orks of Sauron was one of the chief reasons for their great hatred of the Orks" (PoME).

I don't know of any evidence to say whether Gundabad was occupied by Dwarves, Orcs or no-one at the time of the realm of Angmar. It is known that it was captured by Orcs around the middle of the Second Age; I would suggest it was re-taken by the Dwarves after the fall of Sauron at the end of the Second Age.