The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-13-2002, 02:06 PM   #1
Fair Eärendil

Sting New to Lord of the Rings

Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum and also new to the book of the Lord of the Rings. I first read the book a year ago, the movie was coming out and I decided to read it before watching the movie. I thought it was going to be just another fantasy book. I was wrong. I got completely captivated by the passion and the vast and beautiful world of Tolkien. I thought where had this book been in my whole life without me noticing it. Well, I'm from México and unfurtunately people here don't care a lot about reading, so I think that's the reason.
I also loved the movie and I'm waiting impatiently for The Two Towers which is going to be premiered in México on Dec. 19th
Now I'm reading it again in english, though slowly because I need to improve my english. I'm also reading The Silmarillion and I'm loving it too.
I have a lot of questions about the books, I hope that all of you help me clear my doubts as we talk about the greatest book of the century.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:18 PM   #2
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
A good day to you and welcom Fair E?rendil
. My name is Helkahothion, but I like to call myself Anuion.(long story don't ask unless you like boring story's)

I have read your tread but so far there are no questions on it. So just burn away and ill try to answer them.(if I don't know I have a lot of secret sources so I can get to know a lot)

Greetings

Anuion
________
New mexico medical marijuana

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 02:21 PM   #3
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Hullo! Nice to see a new fan (as I myself am fairly new).
Everyone here is great and any questions you have will be answered. We have quite a few scholars here [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 02:24 PM   #4
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome to the downs Fair Eärendil! Post well. There is no such thing as a dumb question! However, it may have already been asked, always do a search before you start a new topic. Have fun! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2002, 02:27 PM   #5
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yes Arwen Imladris I could not agree more.
Anuion's law rule nr.4:There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
________
HONDA CT SERIES SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:44 PM   #6
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Fair Eärendil:

Welcome to the fantastic, wonderful, and sometimes horrifying world that Middle Earth is!

Like you, I too am new to LOTR, only have read it at the start of this year (in January) I have completely fallen in love with the places and people and storylines that are found within this world of wonder!

Ask your questions and if I know the answer, I'll speak up!

Well, namarie for now!
Old 12-13-2002, 06:04 PM   #7
Fair Eärendil

Sting

Thank you guys, I appreciate your responses. I'll post my questions as soon as I can, but for now I would just like to know what edition of books do you all have and wich you like the most. I know there are a lot of editions in english, but here in México there's only two: the three separated books on paperback edition with paintings from John Howe on the cover(Gandalf on the first, the tower of Isengard on the second and Minas Tirith on the third) and the one volume edition with paintings from Alan Lee, I have both editions but I like better the big one volume edition, it's goregeous and I like how it looks on my bookshelf.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:05 PM   #8
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome im shure youl enjoy the downs il try my best to help with any questions you may have, have fun postin! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2002, 02:28 AM   #9
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I just want to say welcome! And I'm very glad to know that some people read the books before the movie, even if they are introduced because of the movies. What I mean by introduced is that when the movies are coming out, LotR is really advertised.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 01:32 PM   #10
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ife got the tirth press with no pic's at all. All the books combined. It's a pity that it is in Dutch.
________
Iolite vaporizer review

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:29 PM   #11
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mae govannen.
I have been a reader of Tolkien for 19 years and would never call myself knowledgable. I regularly have to turn to the experts of this site for help and stuff. Top tip, try 'faq' and do a search first before starting a new thread. What you want may have already been covered and it stops the Barrow Wight getting cross about the site being filled with repeats. (Just like TV at Christmas). Have fun, there are lots of lovely dead people here.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:17 PM   #12
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Call yourself new to Tolkien? PAH! I read it in October [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]. Hey I have to find something to boast about. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] I don't know what picture is on the front of my book, it's not got a cover (it was left out in the rain [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) in fact, it's pretty much falling apart, I think we need a new one.

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: dragoneyes ]

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: dragoneyes ]
Old 12-18-2002, 05:51 PM   #13
Fair Eärendil

Sting

Well, I'm not that new, Dragoneyes. But considering that the book has been out for more than fifty years I think I'm relatively new.
How many times have you read it? this is the third time I'm reading it and each time I read it I enjoy it the most.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:34 AM   #14
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Welcome, welcome!
I too am relatively new to the Lord of the Rings. The first time I read it was a month or two before the movie came out. Though I had heard about it before, for some reason I thought it was going to be not that interesting to me. I was so very wrong. Now I am sad that I wasted all this time not enjoying one of the best books on earth.
Ah well, can't change the past.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]