The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2002, 08:49 PM   #1
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420! When dressing up...

When you people say that you're dressing up for TTT, do you buy your costumes? If so, do you buy certain parts (like the elven cloak for instance) and just wear regular clothes underneath or something? Or do you just make your own costumes? Who do you dress up as? (I'd really want to see someone dressed up as Treebeard)<P>I'm not dressing up myself. I wouldn't want a lot of my friends to see me like that. Even my best friend, who loves Tolkien like me and hides it with me, would think I was a little bit strange if I did that. I think that it would be fun, but for me, its not worth it. And wouldn't that be expensive. I don't have a job as it is and all the money I get I spend on certain things, you can guess yourself. Anyways, Do youcare if someone sees you dressed up as someone from ME? Has it happened to you before?<P>Thanks. <p>[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:01 PM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Funny you should ask <BR>Yes, I am dressing up. The dress I am wearing was made... I got it online from GreyCat Designs (they have lots to choose from and they hand make almost of their garments). It has more of a Rohan feel, I think. I'm not trying to look like anyone in particular. I am hoping to see some really neat costumes. My line party is sponsoring a contest, so we'll see what people come up with. If I remember my camera I will put up pics here.<BR>You say you want to see someone dressed up as Treebeard????<BR><P>And here is me dressed up as Arwen on Halloween. This dress I had made by a wonderful seamtress in MI!<P><p>[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:05 PM   #3
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Sting

I'm dressing up My mom made me (hear that, made! Like from scratch!) a really elegant elven coat sort of like the one Arwen wore in Fotr. I saw a gorgeous grey, medieval looking dress the other day, and I'm going to buy it if I can ever come up with the money... I'd wear that. I don't care if other people see me, in fact I want them to! I'm proud to be an obsessed fan!
Old 12-12-2002, 09:07 PM   #4
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I wish I could dress up, but if I did, I'd want to go all the way. . .perhaps getting the same crew to get me a suit like that. Or order the Ranger's Clothes from Swordsofvalour.com--and that's not possible seeing as how it's $800+ dollars. Plus, I'm still a minor, and can't carry a sword without getting arrested!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:37 PM   #5
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I dressed up as Sam last year, and plan to do it again this year. A friend of mine provides the clothes, as he and his family are big-time re-enactors. (I've recently started to re-enact myself, but have not the funds to build my own reserve of old-style clothes...alas!) As for people seeing me, I went to the theatre, to a restaurant, and to a 4-H meeting in my Sam clothes, with my friends as various other characters. We got some weird looks, but also some "Those are the best costumes I've seen in months!" comments. (Months, ha, try ever. We rocked.)<P>I'd live in my Sam costume if it were mine.<P>~*~Orual~*~<P>PS: That Treebeard costume is so cool! LoL! And that Arwen costume is BEAUTIFUL, Tigerlily!
Old 12-12-2002, 09:37 PM   #6
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I don't think it would matter if you were an adult, Knight, there's still no way they would let a real sword into a movie theatre. (And they wouldn't look too kindly on you carrying it around on the sidewalk...just ask Viggo .)<P>I'm not dressing up. I have a job interview at 11:30 that morning before going to the movie, so definitely not.<P>BTW Tigerlily, you make a lovely Arwen. <p>[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 12-12-2002, 09:49 PM   #7
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Thank you Orual and Diamond18. I have the pendant too, but you cannot see it because of my cape. I dressed up for work the night before Halloween (I was the only one, people have no sense of fun!) and an 11 year old boy was like, "I know who you are! You're from Lord of the Rings! I love that movie, I saw it 10 times!!!!". He was dressed up as a Star Wars character <BR>I will put pics up of my other costume when they are developed (after opening). If my hair were longer I could be Eowyn (since I am really blonde)! Maybe next year my hair will be long enough.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:04 AM   #8
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

Awwweeee yea I'm dressing up! I'm going as a RINGWRAITH!!!<P>I made the armor myself (hand gauntlets and foot armor) and I'm currently working on the robes. I grabbed an old plastic sword and re-painted it and made the sheath. I'm stoked!<P>I was kinda nervous about showing up in costume, but then I found this nifty thing called a <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/movie/lineparty/" TARGET=_blank>LINE PARTY</A> - people like us crazies who will be dressing up, or at least people who aren't afraid to be seen with us crazies
Old 12-13-2002, 06:48 AM   #9
Fleance Stoneycroft
Pile O'Bones

Fleance Stoneycroft has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I made myself a Nazgul-cape, and I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo proud of it! When I get the chance to take a picture of it, I can show it to you, if you like. But I have nonetheless a question: How do you make those big, big hoods as the Hobbits have on their capes?<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/the_dark_wizard_of_orthanc/sauron.html" TARGET=_blank>Horror and LotR</A>
Old 12-13-2002, 06:53 AM   #10
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Think im gona wear what i had on for fotr's opening, The Witch King Of Angmar o yes!
Old 12-13-2002, 07:34 AM   #11
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Go the wicth king and pookabunny!! i am also going to be a baddie, a nazgûl !! wohoo i am soooo exited to be see in my lotr pride clothes!!! my sister and i are going to go grocery shopping in our costumes!! (She's an elf) it's going to be sooo much fun!!<P>okay i made my cloak-robes thing by getting an old jacket and simply sewing long drapy bits of black material on to it, it looks sooo awesome, if i do say so myself. <P>and just a hint: black leather gloves give a really scary touch to any baddie costume. <P>I am so exited!<p>[ December 13, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 12-13-2002, 07:41 AM   #12
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

For links to sites that show how to make costumes, including cloaks and hoods, look at the <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001380" TARGET=_blank>Best of... Movies Links</A> page. Enjoy!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 07:43 AM   #13
Fleance Stoneycroft
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Old 12-13-2002, 10:16 AM   #14
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Awesome pics, <B>Tigerlily Gamgee!</B> <P>* bow of admiration *<P>For my own Halloween costume this year, I portrayed Frodo Baggins. The clothing was an assemblage of odds and ends thrown together. My real-life appearance is similar enough to Elijah Wood's that people recognized whom I sought to portray.<P>* Having said the above, put that image out of your mind, so that you can the more willingly suspend your disbelief enough to continue picturing me as Gandalf! *<P>Gandalf the Grey
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 11:54 AM   #15
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Actually, Gandalf_theGrey, I now have the mental image of Gandalf dressed up in Hobbit clothes. Eeee...
Old 12-13-2002, 01:30 PM   #16
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

I'm dressing up as myself. But big props to Tigerlily for the Halloween ensemble. She can pull off an Elf quite well. And good luck to everyone actually dressing up, don't catch a cold in those light Elven dresses.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:47 PM   #17
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm dressing up! Along with my Mom and some friends. Mom's going to be a hobbit, and the rest of us will be elves. No ligth elven dresses though, as we live in PA and have no desire to freeze before we can get into the theater. We're wearing elven travel wear, scout clothing, entirely home made. My costume consists of low light boots, leggings, a two-toned tunic, a leather jerkin, leather wrist cuffs, and a hooded cloak, all in shades of brown. Very woodsy.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:14 PM   #18
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Pookabunny! Thanks for putting up that link to the Line Parties. I highly suggest these to LOTR fans. I have the priveledge (and work!) of being the administrator for the main Chicago Line Party. It's great. This is my first time, but we have lots of things: costume contest, raffle, juggling, giveways - and so many people help out. We are truly a lovely little Fellowship of Chicago.<BR>We meet and get along right away. See if there is one in your area. It's so much fun to meet people who have the same passion as you (and one of my members has met all of the cast members and brought pictures!!! Lucky girl!).<BR>Highly reccommed!!!!<BR>We are all (probably close to 40+friends) going to a midnight showing, many in costume. It should be a blast.<P>Thank you for saying that I make a nice Elf! YAY!
Old 12-13-2002, 03:22 PM   #19
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sadly I am not dressing up, but I am wearing my Barrow Downs shirt and the One Ring (which I just got yesterday and I LOVE IT!!) on a chain around my neck. <P>You look great there Tigerlily! Good for you! Who is Treebeard in that pic? I plan on talking to anyone dressed up at the opening night to let them know they rock!!
Old 12-13-2002, 05:32 PM   #20
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Though I have an elven dress, I will not wear it to the premiere as I am very shy and don't like to stand out. In Idaho here, people don't usually dress up for movies and I've rarely seen it happen, so I would definately stand out.

Besides, my dress may look elvish, but it certainly does not feel elvish. It is stiff and heavy and difficult to move in, so I don't think I'd be very comfortable. I just bought a Barrow Downs tee though, and it should arrive anytime. I plan to wear that to the premiere or whenever I will go.

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 06:35 PM   #21
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

What's the stress?<P>Capri-length pants for hobbit-breeches; a hobbity shirt under a velvet vest and a corderoy jacket (brown, having the requisite three patch pockets; thank you Dress Barn!!). Of course, the requisite plain round ring on the chain around the neck. And I can't be barefoot, so I'll wear sandals... Birkenstocks. I recently purchased brown Arizonas to go with the brown cord jacket. <P>Now, in the summer I go to work like that once or twice a week. (Birkwearing Programmer Geeks, Unite!) Even now in the dead of winter I just change the breeches for jeans and add wool socks. So all that feels perfectly normal. But-- for the movie, I'll add a cloak, which I made some twenty-five yeras ago and still have. <P>I think if hobbits absolutely HAD to wear shoes, as in by-law-in-order-to-enter-a-public-place, they'd opt for Birkenstocks; they're almost as good as being barefoot. Except that the straps would eventually wear the hair off of their feet. Still, if I had to loan a hobbit a pair of footwear, I'd offer them Birks first.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:06 PM   #22
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If only I were able to dress up, I would. But unfortunately, it's not easy to dress up as a huge, flaming eye... <BR>So you see why I'm just going as myself.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:29 PM   #23
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"a huge flaming eye" hahha! I made a "troubadour" costume for Halloween, and it actually looks erm . . . kinda hobbitish. I would wear that, but I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too tall to be a hobbit. And I AM AN ELF PEOPLE!!!!!! ELF!!! E-L-F, ELF!!!!! *Grrrr . . . unbelieving critics . . . (not you guys. Other people.)*<P>I would LOVE to dress up as an elf but <P>A) I have a grand total of 60 cents. *sigh.* so buying a costume is out.<P>B) I have NO time between now and the release of TTT (only 5 days away!! Well, 4 days and several hours.)<P>And, if I did have the funds/time to dress up for TTT, my mom wouldn't let me. She'd freak out. (She thinks I'm too obsessed already! )<P>BUT I will wear The One Ring (of thousands. ) And I plan to have a blast!! I am going to the FIRST showing!!! (10:30am) I will, o'course, be there in line precisly at 9:00 AM. <p>[ December 13, 2002: Message edited by: Mintyztwin ]

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 12:23 AM   #24
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

I have no idea who the guy (or girl) dressed as Treebeard is... I took that at the Michigan Renaissance Festival this Fall.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:05 AM   #25
Lady_Báin
Wight

Sting

Oooo and my little brother is going to be dressed as Peter Jackson!!(aloha shirt and long shorts with flip-flops) it's going to be so fun! <P>a question: do you guys think it is wierd for over-twenty people to dress up? i know this guy and he says it would be wierd but i don't think so, what do ou think?<P>and every one remember to take pics. of you costumes and show us all !<p>[ December 14, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 12-14-2002, 11:14 AM   #26
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Well, I am almost 23... so, no I don't <BR>I think it's great when people of any age dress up - my friend'd dad is thinking of it too!
Old 12-14-2002, 05:37 PM   #27
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My friends now think I have a daughter Tigerlily as you look strangely like me but younger and far lovelier. I have pointed out if you are 23 I would have to have been 8 when I had you but it hasn't stopped the comments from the boys who share my house.<P>Massive respect to your costume. I have been wandering round as either an elf (summer) or bride of Dracula (winter) for about 12 years on a daily basis so no one will bat and eyelid when I turn so I'll be dressed as 'normal' for the film. I make my own clothes and used to give advice on this site about sewing and stuff but wandered into RPGs during the summer and never came out until today. <P>Everyone going dressed up shows a great sense of fun as well as a certain amount of insanity which is always good to see. I don't have the technology to post a picture yet but you never know, maybe one day. Good luck everyone.
Old 12-14-2002, 06:03 PM   #28
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am going as an Elf. We got the main dress from Goodwill (good condition too) and my mom will be altering it to be Elvish, while I make the stuff so I can have Elf ears.<BR>Good job with the Elf costume, Tigerlily! And I like the Treebeard costume!<BR>See ya,<BR>~M
Old 12-15-2002, 12:30 AM   #29
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>My friends now think I have a daughter Tigerlily as you look strangely like me but younger and far lovelier. I have pointed out if you are 23 I would have to have been 8 when I had you but it hasn't stopped the comments from the boys who share my house. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Maybe I am your clone
Old 12-16-2002, 03:32 AM   #30
Fleance Stoneycroft
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Okay, I hope the link will work now!<BR>The pictures on this side are from last year when I made my first Nazgul-Cape. This year's cape is even better - but I have not taken pictures yet. Look at it <BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/the_dark_wizard_of_orthanc/TheDarkWizardOfOrthancMyselfpage.html" TARGET=_blank>here</A>
Old 12-16-2002, 07:22 AM   #31
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Does anyone know a chain of stores, or a store that sells medi-eval or Elvish or hobbitish looking clothes? If so, let me in on it PLESE!!! Ta!
Old 12-16-2002, 12:18 PM   #32
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

There are a lot of online stores... but as for regular stores... ummm. Try a local costume shop, that's all I can think of.<BR>Or, buy a pattern, find a seamtress, and have them make it for you. That's what I did for my Elvish dress... I ordered my other dress online (I will have pics of that semi-soon).
Old 12-16-2002, 01:51 PM   #33
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

My best friend just finished our Hobbit outfits - homespun shirts, breeches, tapestried vest with the requisite pockets, capes of rough spun material with large hoods.<P>I, too, am wearing my beloved Birkies (too cold here for bare feet!), and have my Elven brooch to pin on.<P>Off on Wednesday early to stand in line for a seat at the film - am looking forward to meeting a fellow Tolkien Geek who is coming as a seven foot Ent (I am supposing he will either stand in the back of the theater or be able to remove the upper half of his costume!)
Old 12-16-2002, 02:49 PM   #34
Krumtakh the Obtuse
Pile O'Bones

Krumtakh the Obtuse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wanted to wear a costume and go as a ringwraith, but I can't. For one thing, I'd be the only one in a costume, and I don't like calling attention to myself. My mom also told me I couldn't leave the house if I was in a costume. But if I went as a ringwraith, wouldn't the hood just cover my face? No one would need to know I was related to her... <P>I tried to find a Line Party in my area, but there are only two in the whole state of Maine, neither of which is in my area. I can't create run my own either, considering I'm only 13. <P>It would be far too cold to go in bare feet here either... But I'm the kind of person who would do it anyway. For Halloween one year, I went as the "Crocodile Hunter" and I had a pair of those khaki shorts, and I went out trick or treating, even though it was around 30 degrees F. I couldn't stay out for that long, but my legs were bright red and they HURT. Lol, I'm kind of thick. <P>[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: Krumtakh the Obtuse ]<p>[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: Krumtakh the Obtuse ]
Krumtakh the Obtuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 03:35 PM   #35
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I am going to see TTT with a fellow B'Downer on Tuesday 17th December at 9:00pm until 12:20am (no idea why so long) and we are going dressed up. It's a preview so it should be just us "crazy" fans there, hopefully all dressed up. I'm going to be a Hobbit and Elwen will be an Elf maiden. She made her dress herself, it's beautiful. I am wearing a shirt which i have stitched to look more 'hobbitish' along with a waistcoat and cropped trousers. I have also made an elven cloak along with the brooch. <BR>I will take a camera and hopefully be able to put a picture on here soon
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 04:53 PM   #36
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Attack of the elf-clones?
Old 12-17-2002, 05:30 PM   #37
Lady_Báin
Wight

Sting

hey where can i find an onlline mail store that delivers to europe?
Old 12-17-2002, 06:11 PM   #38
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Try searching on European based search engines.