The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2003, 08:43 PM   #1
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien I was wondering...

I was sitting in school today bored out of my mind so I started thinking about LOTR. I know how the nine men who received rings from Sauron became the Nazgul after they died, so what happened to the dwarfs? I'm guessing nothing just because they weren't as power hungry as the men but I don't know for sure. Does anybody know?
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:43 AM   #2
Annúnlótëiel
Animated Skeleton

Annúnlótëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Now that I really think about it...you are right what happens to them? Dwarves are described as "greedy" but...

(Oh and by the way...would you spell it dwarfes or dwarves? I read that JRR Tolkein hated spelling "elves" "elfs" so ....)

sigo mi corazón
Annúnlótëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 10:00 AM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Are the names of the dwarves known? Or are they random dwarves of yore?
Old 04-29-2003, 11:53 AM   #4
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

It's dwarves, and I have no idea about who they were or what happened to them..... Mabey they died after being corupted.... They could have been little evil things in Moria.....
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 12:14 PM   #5
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

i suppose that the drwarvish rings could have been like the elvish rings and helped them to construct moria and then one day the seven dwarevs were playing to close to a bottomless pit and well i think you see where i am going with this btw i think that i am wrong about this guess so if i am jsut come right out and say it

P.S. 20 posts whoopdie doo
Old 04-29-2003, 12:25 PM   #6
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I read about it in the Silmarillion. The Dwarves weren't very affected, as "they ill endure the domination of others", and "nor can they be turned to shadows". They only used their rings to get more wealth, but it though kindled greed of gold in their hearts, which helped Sauron later on. One of the Seven were given to Durin III. (If I understand correctly, it was also the one, which was taken from Thráin(?? Thorin's father) in Dol Guldur.

This is what I could find on spot, and I probably missed a lot of details. I hoped it was some of the things you wanted to know! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: "It is said that the foundation of each of the Seven Hoards of the Dwarf-kings of old was a golden ring" - but don't ask which Seven Hoards there is talked about. I know Moria is one of them, and I guess some in the Blue Mountains.

[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: Melephelwen ]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:26 PM   #7
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well thanks for the help on that one. I've been wondering now for a couple days. I'm only 5 chapters or so into The Silmarillion so I haven't gotten to that part yet. Again, Thanks
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:20 PM   #8
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Well actually, it isn't just dwarves, it can be spelt dwarfs (but not dwarfes [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) but Tolkien always spelled it dwarves. The plural of elf is elves. I don't think that Tolkien didn't like calling it elfs, it's just that there is no such word, elfs is not elves.

As for what happened to the dwarves, I don't know. But I do think that it said somewhere in LotR that some of the rings were consumed by dragons (and I assume the ringmaster went with the ring). But Sauron had a few of the rings I think. Didn't he try to offer Dain a dwarf ring in exchange for support?

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:37 PM   #9
Tasslehoff_55
Pile O'Bones

Tasslehoff_55 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Tasslehoff_55 Send a message via AIM to Tasslehoff_55
Sting

since the dwarves were such smithies i doubt they wouldn't notice some messed-up rings AND since the elven rings weren't all messed up because Sauron didn't pollute them maybe the dwarven ones weren't so evil... Besides, Gandalf once said or somebody or just some statement that all the dwarven rings were lost, one being eaten by a dragon [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] *teeheehee* [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ya, that's my contribution [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
His love for Frodo rose above all other thoughts, and forgetting his peril he cried aloud:"i'm coming, Mr.Frodo!" He ran forward to the crown of the climbing path, and over it. At once the road turned left and plunged steeply down. Sam had crossed into Mordor.
¤§ Tåsslehoff §¤
Tasslehoff_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:06 AM   #10
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Dwarven rings were just as "evil" as the ones of Men. The Three were the only, which Sauron didn't get involved in. (He wasn't directly smithing all the Seven, but he contributed with something.)
And yup, all the Seven were lost, I think Sauron had four, and the rest were gone, (for example eaten by dragons. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote