The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-16-2002, 10:15 PM   #1
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting Chances at the Oscar's?

What do you all think <I>The Two Towers</I>'s chances at the Oscar's will be this time around, compared to <I>Fellowship</I>? Were there really any other really good movies this year that I missed? Should it get best film or director or whatever? Although there may be some problems with "Best SFX" with <I>Star Wars</I>....I think <I>TTT</I> deserves every award this year. Including Best Animated Film (for Gollum, Treebeard, and the 10,000 Uruk-hai).<P>Now all we need to figure out is, who gets Best Actor? Obviously Miranda Otto gets Best Actress, but....Elijah? Viggo? Ian? Andy? Let's have your votes (and comments)!
Old 12-16-2002, 10:25 PM   #2
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

TTT will get screwed at the Oscars just like FotR was. You can count on it.<P>I'll wait to actually see it myself to say what I think <I>should</I> happen (in a perfect Hollywood *snort*). But from what I've seen so far, they should create a special award just for Andy Serkis.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:32 PM   #3
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I don't know Manwe, what movies would TTT be up against? Anybody?<P>Well, since I can't think of any right off hand, that might mean that there aren't any major ones. Star Wars and Spiderman were big, but they certainly don't span the whole river as far as Oscars go. TTT has a shot at anything ivolving computers, effects, sound, and music, as well as best adaptation from a book, but also should get nominations in the bigger areas, like best actor, best supporting actor, best supporting actress, best director, and (crosses fingers) best picture.<P>FOTR did well last year (but they should've got more awards!!! grrr!!), but in the past, it seems that sequels never get as much recognition as the original. I certainly hope that isn't the case this year.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:37 PM   #4
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Yes, FotR did get screwed out of the awards. A lot of the major ones too and especially best picture. Beautiful mind was a good runner-up, but FotR really did deserve it. And Hally Barry and Denzel Washington?!?!? Don't get me started on that.<P>Anyways, I think that TTT will not get screwed this time, but you never know. I think that the only movie that might give some competition would be Gangs of New York.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 01:02 AM   #5
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I certainly hope that TTT get more at the oscars. I can't really think of any movies that would give it any major competition except for Star Wars and Spiderman in the special effects area.<BR>I can't get over that A Beautiful Mind won Best picture instead of FOTR last year, beautiful mind was a good movie but look at all the work that went into FOTR! Ah well, we'll see next year......
Old 12-29-2002, 08:25 PM   #6
PippinSqueak
Pile O'Bones

PippinSqueak has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

TTT had better get some Oscars! Especially for special effects and soundtrack. A lot of movie sequels have basically the same soundtrack, but TTT doesn't. So far i haven't seen any other movie that deserves best picture more than TTT.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:50 PM   #7
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Hmm...yes it did get screwed majorly. Come on, A Beautiful Mind got best picture. I'm sorry but I found that movie so boring. I think that TT should get best picture, and PJ should get best director. Not really sure about best actress and actor. But if I had to choose Miranda Otto for best actress and Viggo for best actor, and Sean Astin for best supporting actor.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 09:47 PM   #8
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Well, one thing TTT doesn't deserve is "Best Adapted Screenplay". I haven't seen much this year, as far as Oscar contenders go, though...so I don't know what it would be up against in that department. Maybe, even with all the departures and disregard for the book, it is still the best adaptation out there.<P>Best Picture...hmmm...even though I'm biased towards anything LotR, I thought "We Were Soldiers" was a really good movie, so I don't know that I wouldn't have to give that movie the nod.<P>I give Sean Astin best supporting actor, though, and Andy Serkis the newly created best performance in a motion capture suit. <P>Best FX should be a given. Come on, Star Wars and Spider-man don't even begin to come close to Gollum alone.<P>Best Cinematography...it's New Zealand!<P>Best Score (that I've heard)though I doubt that it really will win, just 'cause it's got so much of FotR's music in it and that already won.<P>Best Costume and Best Make-up, of course. Where's the competition there?<P>I think there are more obscure type awards I'm forgetting, like best editing or best foley-art or something like that. But that's what I think should happen, anywhoo...
Old 12-29-2002, 10:06 PM   #9
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well I know there are a few good movies up in nomonation for Best Picture. And since FOTR was cheated out last year by A Beautiful Mind, I am going to be really mad if they don't get it this year. I am pretty sure that TTT is in the nomonations for this, but I can't be completely sure. (I think it is though.) As for the other nomonees, I only know of 2 for right now. <P>Gangs of New York is one. This movie was rated at 4 stars in which TTT was only 3 1/2. Although they got this good rating, Gangs had bad reviews. A reporter said that the only reason anyone would want to see this movie was because of one of the supporting actors (I forgot his name). He said the rest of the movie was pathetic. So TTT has a good chance here. <P>The other nomonee I can't remember the name of the movie, but it is some comedy thing they keep showing previews for on the WB. I forgot this name too. But this movie didn't get a good rating and just by the commercials it looks really boring. <P>I have a feeling though the 4th nomination will either go to Harry Potter or Catch Me If You Can. Both of these are considered very good movie so far. (But if you ask me, LOTR could beat out Harry Potter and Leo DiCaprio any day.)<P>That is all I know of the Oscars so far. But once I find out some more info on the other categories and nominations, I will post them.<P>Edit: Oh, and I watched We Were Soldiers today. It was a good movie, but I don't think it will get Best Picture. How many nominations are for each thing anyway? Because I'm not quite sure on that either. Soldiers could be nominated, but I really doubt it will win. I agree completely with you on the rest of them though, Diamond.<p>[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 10:34 PM   #10
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I would be mildly surprised at a single nomination for The Two Towers, and wouldn't complain if it didn't win anything. <P>The Fellowship of the Ring was an incredible movie. <P>It had emotional passion and real dramatic tension, outstanding costuming and cinematography, first rate performances from Ian McKellen and Sean Bean in particular. <P>It's editing was remarkable, especially the more evil scenes, such as right before the battle with Cave Troll and the views about Baradur and Isengard. <P>The music was nearly as a powerful and evocative a presence as it is in Star Wars. <P>Film buffs I knew who didn't give a flip about Tolkien were enthused by it, though felt it wasn't the sort of movie the Oscars recognized. They weren't surprised 'A Beautiful Mind' won, but to my shock, didn't feel it deserved it. The screenplay and adaptation was outstanding (surpassing the LOTR:FOTR, Fran Boyens is the weak link in PJ's crew), but it was otherwise unremarkable.<P>The Two Towers has some good performances, (Eowyn and King Theoden) but none as emotionally impactful as Ian or Sean Bean's. There will be no best supporting actor awards. Sorry to those who say Sean Astin should get a nod. The Academy doesn't tend to reward well-delivered speeches. Not enough of a challenge to the actor.<P>The constuming and cinematography is the same as last year, and they didn't win then. Now it's old hat.<P>The editing was not as good as last year. The pacing was off. The battle scenes weren't as powerful and that's an editing problem, too. <P>The musical score wasn't as varied, and didn't play as much of a role. I notice PJ downplayed the score a bit in his SE DVD as well.<P>There were also major awkward no-no's that kill its chances, beyond its being a sequel and an action/adventure (which don't win any serious awards in any case). <P>Narration in the middle of the movie, where the narrator has had no presence elsewhere.<P>Using Narration to take the place of dramatic tension. If the narrator has to tell us what the danger is, there has been a lack of build-up.<P>Lack of explication as to where Osgiliath was, and why was it important. For <I>the</I> critical dramatic moment in that plotline, that is not good.<P>Walk-on characters with important lines that are otherwise not introduced (you don't even have a name). Weakens a movie.<P>A rather thin performance by Elijah Wood.<P>A major role played by a cartoon character. Unless the entire movie's a cartoon, the Acedemy deducts ten points as a matter of course. So to speak. <P>Be content 'The Two Towers' is making a lot of money. That means people will go to see the 'Return of the King' next year.<P>C'mon guys. It's telling that we're asking 'what's its competition?' We know out of the gate 'The Two Towers' would have to win by default. <P>If anyone deserves best supporting actor it's Willem Defoe for the Green Goblin in Spiderman. He took a paper thin role and made it something subtle and powerful.<P>-Maril<P>P.S. Those of you who feel it should win an academy award: Why? Beyond the fact that you simply liked the movie. Be specific.<p>[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 12-29-2002, 10:46 PM   #11
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I would be mildly surprised at a single nomination for The Two Towers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, it's already been nominated for two Golden Globes: Best Picture and Best Director. Are you surprised? (or don't GG's count?)<P>Anyway, I know that editing wasn't as good. I was just trying to remember the other categories. And I don't really think it deserves anything that FotR didn't get, but I'm trying to look at it compared to films from this year. But I find most "Oscar contenders" too boring to even bother going to see, so I'm not the most qualified to disucss the subject, I guess. (I mean, "Gangs of New York" looks painfully insipid to me). <P>As for Dafoe...again, if the GG's are any indication, he didn't even get nominated for that one. Somehow I picture the Academy really thumbing their noses at Spider-man. Not that it wasn't good...but it was such summer-blockbuster oriented fare, being based on a comic book and all.<P>I still think "We Were Soldiers" was one of the most powerful movies I've ever seen...much better than "Saving Private Ryan" at any rate. And that was nominated.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The constuming and cinematography is the same as last year, and they didn't win then. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>FotR won Best Cinematography, BTW. Probably won't get a repeat award, that means. But without Moulon Rouge, I don't see why it shouldn't get a nod for costumes. A nomination at least.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The screenplay and adaptation was outstanding (surpassing the LOTR:FOTR <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's the first good thing I've heard about the screenplay for "A Beautiful Mind". Everyone else says it glossed over too much and blatantly over-romanticized John Nash's life.<p>[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 12-29-2002, 10:52 PM   #12
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I predict lots of nominations and very few wins, a lot like last year.<P>Fantasies and sci-fi flicks NEVER win. It just doesn't happen, not that I can think of anyhow. Though I believe with all my heart that Sean Astin and Andy Serkis both deserve to take a statue home, I doubt that either of them will get it. Its very genre sets it at a disadvantage. It was a visually spectacular movie and it'll probably win a lot of technical awards, but don't expect Best Director, Best Film (or picture or whatever it is), any Best Actor/Actress, forget all of that. I agree with Diamond. Hollywood won't pull through for us. RotK might, MIGHT pull something out of their grubby little hands, but I wouldn't count on it. We've been counting on the old "oh, they won't give the first movies anything because PJ has so-and-so many more chances to win" but I don't think it'll happen.<P>I'm tired. The glass is half empty. And I'm going to bed.<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-29-2002, 11:00 PM   #13
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Pipe

I <I>am</I> surprised at the Golden Globe nominations. You could be right that the lack of competition is increasing the chances for 'The Two Towers.'<P>*clinks glasses with GG celebrants, with a slightly sardonic smile* Here's looking forward to 'The Return of the King.' If 'The Two Towers' wins anything, than what does that say for the chances of the dramatic conclusion? Volcanos? Siege? The Paths of the Dead? Frodo claiming the Ring?<P>Looking forward to it. (Let us pray that with more lines Elijah will have more to work with and improve. Drastically.)<P>-Maril<P>Re: Screenplay for a beautiful mind - I have a brother who's schizophrenic. They portrayed the experience brilliantly, best I've seen since Jacob's Ladder.<p>[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 12-29-2002, 11:14 PM   #14
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> P.S. Those of you who feel it should win an academy award: Why? Beyond the fact that you simply liked the movie. Be specific.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, as to the things I think it truely should win (I don't think it <I>will</I> win anything, to tell the truth):<P>Costumes: I was very, very impressed by the special features on costume design for FotR, and of course that goes for TTT as well. The immense detail they put into the costumes staggered me: from the chain mail to the laces on Aragorn's sleeves to the cloaks for the Black Riders to all the different sizes they had to make for some costumes, I was amazed by what I saw. I wish FotR had won, but since it didn't, I'd like TTT to take it home for both movies. I also loved Éowyn's dresses, and thought the best part of Faramir's character was the White Tree on his...leather shirt thing (hey, I'm no costume designer!).<P>Special FX: Oh please! Star Wars? Fun, but nothing that beats Gollum. Put Jar Jar or Yoda or anyone else next to Gollum and watch me laugh with derision. Spider-man...somehow there were parts of Spidey's swinging that really did not look real at all. Okay, I haven't seen Harry Potter, but the glimspes I've gotten of that Elf-thing still don't compare to Gollum.<P>In other words, I'm basing this award mainly on Gollum.<P>I guess those are the only two that I feel strongly about. I have no delusions about Sean Astin or anyone else winning or even being nominated for any sort of acting award. It doesn't matter that I loved SA and AS's performances: but I'd give it to them if I was in charge because I'm biased. In both FotR and TTT I've loved Sean Astin's facial expressions, voice inflections...I mean, you know what he's thinking without him saying any lines! If I had to really think hard on it (and watch all the movies out there) I could probably come up with someone else, but it doesn't matter. But if I can't put in my unrealistic wish here, where can I?
Old 12-30-2002, 12:50 AM   #15
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Everyone says it, and most likely enough it is true: Fantasy films aren't taken seriously. By the Academy or by a lot of people. Ditto cartoons/CG pics. As for TTT being Best Animated, whoever said that in this thread obviously had eyes only for Gollum. There were about, ooh I dunno two hundred non-animated characters!!<P>It <I>will</I> win Best FX (waggles hand in front of judges... it <I>will</I> win. Star Wars prequels lose cred for having so many CG effects and not enough physical ones. But so what, FX is nothing. Best Picture, an Actor/Actress one, Best Director, those are the ones that really get recognition. I agree, there's not even an outside look at Best Supporting Actor. If anyone gets nominated for their acting, then I'd have to say 2002 was a terrible year for movies. Script? LOL! And cinematography is <I>much</I> more than pretty locations.<P>But I for one don't believe that PJ will walk away from these three movies without one Best Director nod. He's my pony for the Oscar, I'm backing him all the way. Go you good thing!
Old 12-30-2002, 01:56 AM   #16
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is one thing that makes me Mad! I personally think that it is getting clearer and clearer that TTT is going to be nominated for best picture and many of the other catagories that is was nominated in last year. But this is one thing that the Academy is very stupid about, they cannot just warm up to these films. <BR>I really want them to honor the LOTR's films because they are so amazing, and they are going to go down in history, unlike other movies like "A Beautiful Mind" (I saw this movie and enjoyed it but it just did not impress me, I personally think that many people have to think hard to remember what movie won Best Picture in 2002) I think if FOTR would have come out just a year earlier the Academy would have given Best Picture to it over a movie Like "Gladiator" (Sorry to anyone who liked that movie, I just didn't think it deserved such an honor). Like everyone knows that Star Wars was nominated for best picture, but does anyone know what film beat it?<P>With my personal opinion I doubt TTT will win best picture just because. Though I really hope that if TTT doesen't win, that they finally decide to give ROTK what it deserves, Best picture, best director, all the major awards that FOTR missed out on in the past!<P>Also another thing about the Academy (I have always been a very big fan of the Oscars, and it is one of my favorite things to talk about) they tend to go in cycles, one year they give the Best Picture award to a movie like "Titanic" and then the next year they give it to a smaller movie like "American Beauty" (Actually the year after "Titanic" won, "Shakesphere in Love" took home the big prize, but that was still a small movie), so this really increases our chances that a LOTR film will win the big awards. One reason that I think that FOTR did not win last year was because in 2001 the winner of Best Picture was "Gladiator". So the academy thought it was time to give the award to a smaller "acting" film. FOTR was similar to "Gladiator" that it was a big budget movie that used alot of special effects. I hope that this year or in 2004, that the Academy is finally ready to give the big award to a big film. They usually vote in a pattern like this <BR> <P>[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]<p>[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 12-30-2002, 08:49 AM   #17
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Actually, doug, I was saying that TTT should get best animated film because of Gollum, the Ents, the Wargs, and that Helm's Deep thing....which had maybe 20 or 30 minutes of completely CG footage...not to mention the breaking of Isengard....<p>[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Manwe Sulimo ]
Old 12-30-2002, 09:36 AM   #18
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really don't care.<P>After last year the awards lost all credability with me whatsoever.<P>It is a well crafted movie that will get better when it gets longer, but that isn't until November. I say they will get nominated for all they did last year minus best supporting actor. I think Ian will get that again in Retun of the King because Gandalf has his hand in much more in Return of the King. I get goose bumps just thinking about him meeting the Witch King at the Gate.<P>Maybe when they see the complete story in a year will they get it and finally warm up to it but I doubt that much.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 04:06 PM   #19
PeregrinTook
Animated Skeleton

PeregrinTook has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Best Visual Effects is in the bag! The effects in TTT were so mych better than FotR! And there were more! Howard Shore's gonna get Best Original Score AGAIN like he should! All I'm saying about Best Film is: If TTT doesn't get it, THE OSCARS WERE RIGGED!
Old 12-30-2002, 04:41 PM   #20
the real nazgul
Animated Skeleton

the real nazgul has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If TTT doesn't get the vis fx award, then i will complain HEAVILY! imean, those 10,000 uruk-hai,they were brill! Plus, the CGI uruk-hai actually had an i.q.! How r u supposed to animate 10,000 odd uruk-hai in a year?! (i hope i spelt uruk-hai right!)<P>Just a little trivia-the first time they tested the computer program, all the uruk-hai ran away from Helms Deep!! Wimps!
Old 12-30-2002, 07:02 PM   #21
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For all my disappointment at the Academy's apparent bias against fantasy, one kind of has to wonder: how much do they really matter? Which is more memorable...Star Wars: A New Hope, or Annie Hall? What's Annie Hall is exactly what I thought you'd say. It's the movie that won the Best Picture in '77, the year that A New Hope came out. Which has made more of an impact in people? The one that didn't win, that's right. So whether or not the Lord of the Rings ever wins Best Picture, Best Director, Best (Supporting)Actor/Actress, or even any more technical awards, it has a firm place in peoples' lives. So though I'm a little irritated at the Academy's apparent lack of taste, I could really care less. Sure, it would be nice if it won, but people love these movies. They're masterpieces. Whether or not the Academy decides to acknowledge it is their own problem.<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-30-2002, 07:43 PM   #22
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

We Were Soldiers was a VERY good movie, it was really historically accurate (according to my dad, the history - mainly war - freak, he was so angry when at the end of Saving Private Ryan, THE WRONG PLANES FLEW OVER! He was totally dissapointed!), but the thing is Hollywood doesn't like war movies. Gladiator is close to a war movie, it won the year before last, but Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon almost beat it, the movie was THE WORST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN! I swear it! "Are you done flying yet?" I mean, COME ON! I COULD HAVE RENTED A BETTER MOVIE IN JAPANESE IN THE ADULTS ONLY ANIME SECTION! Sorry. Anyway, I think TTT has a good chance, I don't know how well the critics liked We Were Soldiers but they seem to like Gangs of New York which really doesn't appeal to me. Critics are the wierdest wierdos in the world, they can be so fickle that we won't have any clue until nominations. Atleast then we'll know what the competition looks like!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:26 PM   #23
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

If TTT won this year, then I doubt that ROTK would stand a chance nexy year... and I would rather see that one get the Oscar. PJ deserves an Oscar for directing at some point, but once again I am rooting for ROTK.<P>I think that Howard Shore deserves an Oscar again, because I haven't heard a better soundtrack.<BR>All of the visual elements have a good chance in the running. I would not doubt that the movie picks up some more of those at the least.<P>I saw <I>Gangs of New York</I> & I think that it tried to be a little more than it actually was. It had the ability to be great, but I don't think it quite made it there. So, if that movie wins I will be sadly upset.<BR>Some other movies in the running, probably, are <I>Chicago</I>, <I>Adaptation</I>, <I>About Schmit</I>, <I>The Hours</I>(if that is released within the time brackett, I don't don't if it will count for this year).<BR><I>Catch Me If You Can</I> should not be nominated, because it was nothing spectacular. It was entertaining, but not Oscar material. Some other movies that I think may get nominated for something are <I>Punch Drunk Love</I>, <I>Moonlight Mile</I>, <I>My Big Fat Greek Wedding</I>. There is also a movie with Julianne Morre that is getting a lot of praise.<P>Anywho, I'm sorry to say that I don't think TTT stands a chance for Best Film because it is up against many typical dramas. I just hope that ROTK pulls in all of the awards that FOTR and TTT couldn't.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:42 PM   #24
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Anywho, I'm sorry to say that I don't think TTT stands a chance for Best Film because it is up against many typical dramas. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Typical! Exactly! Why can't an extraordinary fantasy film get more respect than a typical drama???
Old 12-30-2002, 08:47 PM   #25
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Tigerlily Gamgee - The movies you listed in my opinion don't look like much. I was really dissapointed with the movies this year that the critics were going for, besides TTT of course. I really liked <I>Minority Report</I>, that was a very good movie, do you think that might have a chance at anything? I don't know how much the critics liked that one.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:08 PM   #26
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, they may not look like much to you & many people here... but they are, sadly, the types of movies that the commitees always go for. They are good, in their own genre, but I don't see why critics view them as being "better".<BR>I do think that LOTR should win best picture for ROTK (even though we haven't seen it yet... I just have a feeling about it) and break this everlasting fantasy stereotype. I would love to see that happen!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 11:47 PM   #27
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

Thanks Orual, I always knew that Star Wars was beaten, but I did not know that it was beaten by "Annie Hall". <BR>And the one Julianne Moore movie that is recieving a lot of buzz is "Far from Heaven"<P>I cannot really give my opinion on any of the other movies because I have not seen them, (though I know about them) I read reviews a lot, and it seems that the critics are dissapointed this year with the choices. I think that this is the only way that TTT could break through and win. But, yes I agree that I think that ROTK has a better chance in 2004. <p>[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 12-31-2002, 01:32 AM   #28
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My first statement was a little harsh I would care if it didn't win.<P>I agree I would like to see ROTK win it. Actually a directing award this time for PJ and the best pic next year would be great.<P>If PJ ends it like the book does, with the Grey Havens and Ive seen signs that it will, then there is no way it shouldn't win it. I mean The End is so bittersweet and somber which I think will go over a lot better than if everything was happy and neat ala Return of the Jedi. Like I was saying The ending ot the Lord of the Rings is a very good ending and I think the "critics" will see it as something great.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 01:44 AM   #29
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

On the subject of ROTK, I think that awarding an Oscar to a movie that hasn't even been <I>made</I> yet is even worse than the Academy having a general bias against Fantasy/Sci-Fi. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a notable exception, thanks for pointing that one out, but really it's almost a bit of a historical picture, and in the minds of most people hardly as fantastic as LOTR. Good insights on the rotation thing at the Oscars, I don't really follow movies enough to notice something like that. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon seemed at least in part to be a move for political correctness, for the Academy to get brownie points by awarding a foreign film. Maybe they'll try to do the same by awarding a token award to TTT so that they don't seem too one-eyed. Would we be happy with that, though?
Old 12-31-2002, 01:54 PM   #30
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Its very genre sets it at a disadvantage. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sadly, that’s very true in any artistic medium. Critics just appreciate realism more than sci-fi/fantasy. Look at Tolkien’s books themselves: fifty years later, the public buys them by the box load and literary critics are still laughing at them. Why?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I really liked Minority Report, that was a very good movie, do you think that might have a chance at anything? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That was a great movie, but far too complex for the small-mindedness of the critic.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The ending ot the Lord of the Rings is a very good ending and I think the "critics" will see it as something great. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That reminds me of a dream I had. We all sat down in the theater to watch Return of the King. Everyone was so excited, the whole place was buzzing. The whole movie was over in half an hour. It was a romance flick. It had no end, the screen just went black. It was pure horror. The whole place went up in screams of angst, there was popcorn flying everywhere. <P>No doubt if this happened RotK would win Best Film and the rousing approval of every critic in Mordor, er, I mean Hollywood.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 04:01 PM   #31
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I think the TTT will do about the from FOTR. I am thinking costume and make up is definite. I mean there is no more flashy film like Moulin Rouge this year to take them away.Best Film and Best Director is very questionable. For actors and actresses, I am thinking Viggo Mortensen and Sean Astin. Miranda Otto acted well, but her screen time is too short, and she is not on the league yet. Tyler and Blachette acted well, but they barely have any screen times. As for music, who can beat Howard Shore? His music is even better than lsat year's. Anything with special effect and cinematography have to compete with Star War and Spiderman, but there is a good chance. The best adapted screenplay is questionable. If you ask me the screen play really could be better, but there is not much competition. Best editor is out of question. Who edited this film? Some scenes don't even link together properly, and there are so many bloopers. That's all I can think for now. I wish TTT the best luck at Oscars.(I am still not over last year's. Ok maybe a serious film like ABM is more appreciated by the Academy, but Ian McKellen not getting best surporting actor? Please!!!!!)
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 04:23 PM   #32
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Who edited this film? Some scenes don't even link together properly, and there are so many bloopers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You know, I think I know why the editing was a bit sub par for this movie:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> From the November 11th issue of Entertainment Weekly:<P>Peter Jackson, producer-screenwriter-director-special-effects guy, has been working full-time on some aspect of ''Lord of the Rings'' trilogy for four years now. And he is sick of it. ''I need to get it out of my head,'' he says. ''I dream about it every single night.... I'm lying in bed and all I want to do is sleep and I have the crew standing around the bed wanting some direction as to what to do next. And I realize with horror I don't even know what film I'm making.''<P>Hey, let us help, Peter! ''The Two Towers,'' the follow-up to last year's ''Fellowship of the Ring,'' which grossed over $860 million worldwide and earned 13 Oscar nominations and four statuettes, is your chance to prove that ''Fellowship'''s success was no fluke! It's the middle novel of J.R.R. Tolkien's trilogy, the one without any real beginning or end! It's the movie in which you have not one, but two key computer-generated (CG) characters, Gollum and Treebeard, whose realism (or lack thereof) could lead to a revolution in digital filmmaking or take audiences to the Binks of despair! Plus you have even more new characters to juggle, all with funny names (Éowyn, Théoden, Éomer, Faramir, and Stinky Joe! Okay, not Stinky Joe, alas). There, feel better? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Aw, stinky...I just realized that they didn't have the whole article up, so I'm missing the part where PJ talked about having a really, really difficult time with the editors. But anyway, I recall that as they were submitting drafts of the movie for previewing, they were getting lots of complaints about it and kept having to re-edit, and re-edit, and re-edit...
Old 01-02-2003, 04:40 PM   #33
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

I know what you mean about the "simple-mindedness"! That is a complex movie. Hmmmm...I thought the editing was fine I couldn't pay that much attention to the editing because I didn't want to miss anything! I've seen it 3 times and I am discovering new things every time that I missed before. I love movies like that! Hollywood is the pits. What would have happened if Steven Spielberg made LOTR...**shivers**He's not a bad director, just too Hollywood. Even worse, there's Disney...**vomits** Walt was fine, but he's dead. He's definetly rolling around in his grave...<p>[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 01-06-2003, 11:38 AM   #34
Thingol1000
Animated Skeleton

Thingol1000 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My bad, started a thread when this one was present<BR>TTT will win.....<BR>nothing. <BR>Maybe special effects but we can forget about best movie etc. The critics hate it because no one cares what they say about it. It's not "artsy" enough, no "character development" blah blah blah. Uh excuse me, it's like only one of the greatest stories ever told????!!!!<BR>I see that it is still the #1 box draw, even after the 12/18 release date. To give you an idea, the "catcm me if you can " Tom Hanks /DiCaprio movie is getting mad raves yet it's still befind TTT.....<BR>The Oscars stink.
Thingol1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:08 PM   #35
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Pipe

Hi Diamond, thanks for the clipping. That does make sense why the editing would be a rough road this time. I was feeling more charitable this weekend as I realized that The Two Towers is really the middle portion of a story and doesn't have a real beginning or end.<P>I think my standards were certainly raised by The Fellowship of the Ring.<P>-Maril
Old 01-06-2003, 03:16 PM   #36
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

A very brief point: Although TTT will receive a plethora of nominations, it will win only technical awards. They will likely save Best Picture for ROTK. It is unlikely AOL Time Warner will allow the series go without. My point, however, is related to actor's awards: the LOTR films will not win any due to their nature as ensemble pieces. <P>This is quite fair and correct and quite distinct from my belief that there are no deserving performances in the film.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:29 PM   #37
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

White-Hand

Actually the critics have enjoyed it a lot, thats what makes this so bizarre. There is this one website called<BR><A HREF="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheLordoftheRingsTheTwoTowers-1118285/" TARGET=_blank>rotten tomatos</A> where they take all the opinions of critics and they give a "fresh" rating if they like it, and a "rotten" if they don't. And if the total amount giving the film a "fresh" rating is over 70% then the film is considered fresh. Right now TTT has a 97% fresh rating, one of the highest.<P>Last year FOTR had the highest rating of any film released in 2001. I guess they think it is entertaining but not oscar worthy. <p>[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 01-06-2003, 08:03 PM   #38
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> A major role played by a cartoon character. Unless the entire movie's a cartoon, the Acedemy deducts ten points as a matter of course. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>How can you say Gollum is a cartoon character? Despite being computer animated, he has more substance than most people I know.<P>As for the awards, if they win some, that's great, and if they don't, then screw the judges/whoever picks the winners. It's so hard to see PJ and all the cast and crew work so hard and not get recognized for it.<P>On the other hand, I agree with Orual: LotR will live on while 'Beautiful Mind' and whatever gets picked this year won't.
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 08:20 PM   #39
Have a day
Pile O'Bones

Have a day has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Have a day
Sting

What if George Lucas directed LOTR *shudders* CGI EVERYTHING!

"There once was an alliance between the preps and the punks..." From my unholy mockery 'Lord of the scrunchie'
Have a day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 02:49 AM   #40
hollyann

Silmaril

Because the Academy is comprised of a bunch of old farts, this movie MIGHT (and I said might) win a couple SFX awards but that's about it. I just pray that ROTK is so f**cking awesome that it wins best picture and best director.