The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-29-2002, 05:53 PM   #1
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Gollum and Treebeard the next Jar Jar?

Is it possible that Gollum or Treebeard, two of TTT's most key characters, could become the two CGI character disaters? I hope not, but think of what George Lucas did with Star Wars! Could Gollum become the comic relif for TTT? What do you have to say of the matter?
Old 11-29-2002, 07:11 PM   #2
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In a word, no. PJ has made some cuts, mistakes, and weird addtions, but he wouldn't do that. You have to remember, he's a Tolkien fan just like us.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:28 PM   #3
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

At worst, we'll get the Wizard of Oz, but I think that Jar Jar was a singular misfortune, nay, plague. As for Gollum being comic relief, I can hardly imagine PJ doing that, other than in the way the Tolkien did, with his and Sam's fights. (Tee hee, "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit"...) I have every faith in PJ. I just saw the extended version, and that only increased my faith in him. He's a real fan, and just as devoted to the books as we are. Imagine working as long as he did on the movies...one day at a time, every day to perfection, as he put it. I don't think he'd waste all that time and passion, sweat and tears just to bring it all crashing down with Gollum.<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-29-2002, 07:52 PM   #4
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I doubt PJ would let that happen, much less want it to happen. Gollum, form what I have seen will be awesome.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:34 PM   #5
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

TealDude, in one word I'd say "unlikely". Making Gollum and Treebeard cute and cuddly would destroy the story, and you don't have to have every word of Tolkien's writings memorized to know that . Besides, the comic-relief burden seems to have fallen (rather more reasonably) on Merry and Pippin's shoulders, though I'm looking forward very much to seeing them grow up in TTT and ROTK.<P>Jar Jar (boo...hissss....) owed much of his creation to the fact that he was supposed to be marketable. Tolkien, thank God, wasn't suffering from any such considerations. Besides, unlike Lucas, Jackson has never been one to fall into the trap of cutening things up too much ("Heavenly Creatures" vs the Ewoks, anyone?). He'll be out to terrify the audience, not to make them go "Awwww" or retch, depending.
Old 11-29-2002, 11:40 PM   #6
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I heard Gollum blows Jar Jar out of the water.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 01:25 PM   #7
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

There is no way Gollum could be "cute and cuddly" and can you imagine treebeard as a comic relief? I think we're pretty safe.<P>This is somewhat weird, but what does everyone have against Jar-Jar? I didn't mind him...
Old 11-30-2002, 03:03 PM   #8
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> This is somewhat weird, but what does everyone have against Jar-Jar? I didn't mind him... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Did you <I>see</I> The Phantom Menace????
Old 11-30-2002, 03:37 PM   #9
the mortal elf
Wight

Tolkien

Of course I saw The Phantom Menace, I'm a huge Star Wars fan! But what's wrong with being a clumsy comic relief?
Old 11-30-2002, 03:47 PM   #10
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I'm with you mortal elf! I kinda liked him! I like plucky comic relief! Except for Pippin I mean, "Where are we going?" and Merry with "I think I've broken something." Oh, soo funny! Come on, if all movies were totally serious all the time, I'd die! Jar Jar is getting totally dissed on a LORD OF THE RINGS (and Tolkien related) MESSAGE BOARD! Poor guy! Think about the ewoks! Star Wars was never totally serious and neither was FOTR with naive Merry and Pippin. If there's a little comic relief in TTT it will do us some good!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 03:51 PM   #11
the mortal elf
Wight

Tolkien

*smiles at fellow supporter* Thanks. You know, what are we doing comparing LotR and Star Wars anyway? They're completely different. I love both, so let's just drop this debate before it goes off topic
Old 11-30-2002, 03:57 PM   #12
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Sting

NO WAY. I wouldn't even say, "not unless hell froze over." That's how impossible it would be. PJ is a true fan and he's taking this movie very serious. He wouldn't risk doing something like that. Besides, as kalimac said, the comic relief does fall on Pippin and Merry. I think that you will see some jokes but for the most part, this movie is considered a drama, not a comedy. <P>So if you're hoping for another Jar Jar movie, don't count on it. Besides, the phantom menace was 2hrs long and those star wars fans had to sit through it. Do you really think that PJ would have us tolkien die hard fans sit through 6hrs (3hrs TTT + 3hrs RotK = 6) of a Jar Jar replica???? <P>PJ has worked on making the movies for about 5 years I think. He wouldn't let something like that happen.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 04:01 PM   #13
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Definetly, the ideas of those two movies are not comparable.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 04:31 PM   #14
Kalessin
Wight

Kalessin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Since the Fellowship of the Ring movie was, regardless of loyalty to the book, a genuinely epic piece crafted with skill and executed with cinematic vision, and maintained at least an attempt at Tolkien's essence of myth, while the Phantom Menace was an absolute clunker, poorly crafted and executed with smug complacency, and with such questionable and crass moral sensibility, I hope that comparisons continue to be inappropriate <P>It doesn't say much that the dubious and at worst racist characterisation of Jar Jar Binks in Phantom Menace has been replaced by his Hattie McDaniel role in (the almost equally feeble) Attack of the Clones. Special effects do not make a good film, and nothing can save a film from bad writing and bad characters. <P>If Treebeard, who in Tolkien's book represents the deep, literally-<B>rooted</B> personification of nature - patient, stoic, gentle, slow yet unstoppable when roused, and so on ... or Gollum, who is pathetic (in its most precise sense), a being whose humanity and soul have been eaten away by corrupting evil, and who is left as a scheming yet disingenuous child of madness ... if either of these characters is deemed as somehow expendable in TTT for the purposes of some apparent Hollywood rule that "you gotta have some laughs", or become one-dimensional Disney archetypes, I will be <B>VERY</B> disappointed. I'd say there was no evidence of that being likely from the first movie, but ... we all know that anything's possible <P>Peace <P>Kalessin<P>PS If you want to hear a wonderful review of Attack of the Clones by UK movie critic Mark Kermode, go to <A HREF="http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/mayo/kermode_1705.shtml" TARGET=_blank>BBC Five Live Films</A> and listen to his rant on Realplayer, it is classic, and he mentions Lord of the Rings <p>[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: Kalessin ]
Kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 08:07 PM   #15
Lily Tussle
Pile O'Bones

Lily Tussle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily Tussle
Sting

Gollum? Comic relief? I don't think that's possible! I mean, he's <I>Gollum</I>! And from what we've seen of Gollum in the first movie, he will be spectacular. Also, keep in mind that Gollum isn't <I>complete</I> CGI. They did use Andy Serkis to help simulate Gollum's movements so that it'd look more realistic, whereas Jar Jar is, well, <I>Jar Jar</I>. (And I say that with extreme distaste for what is, obviously, the ruination of a great set of movies.)
Old 11-30-2002, 08:19 PM   #16
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Treebeard doesn't remind me of Jar Jar in the least... he speaks fluent English! As for Gollum, I picture him (in the book and hopefully in the movies) as being a sort of depressing, pathetic figure. I think the only funny part will be when he says "What’s taters, precious, eh, what’s taters?"
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 09:05 PM   #17
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Well, I heard that either Peter Jackson, or one of the computer animators quoted as saying that Jar-Jar wasn't worth to sniff Gollum's *ehem, excrement, ehem*. I didn't like the language he used, so I supplemented. But they've made a lot of strides since Jar-Jar. I never saw Phantom Menace anyway, so I wouldn't know, except for fleeting glimpses in Wal-Mart.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 09:22 PM   #18
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Jar Jar was just annoying and they would have been better served to just let C3PO go along be himself than have Jar Jar. I have been a life long SW fan as well as LOTR fan but I always knew that Tolkien is way more deep and if you peel away the surface of star wars you get nothing. So now the LOTR movies have surpassed SW as my favorite movies.<P>Gollum however is a fully dramatic character with a hidden scheme of his own. He sreves a specific purpose and isn't there just to be there like Jar Jar. I am confident that he will be as I imagine him in the book, something you despise yet pity because it is not his fault he is that way. <P>Thief!! We hates it. We hates it forever!!!

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 01:17 AM   #19
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Yes, gollum wouldn't be a comic relief. It would be too hard to do that since he already has a split personality, i.e. slinker and stinker.<P>As for Treebeard, he might get a few misdirected laughs. Say if he interupts pippin or merry and says, 'Hoom, hmm! Come now! Not so hasty!' Some idiots might laugh at that.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 03:08 PM   #20
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

On the subject of comic relief in TTT, I have read in the review of the film in Entertainment Weekly that more of the comic relief duty goes to Gimli. The reviewer said that there are numerous "short" jokes, referring to Gimli's height. (but the same reviewer also gave the movie a B, so I don't hold his word to be too true) <P>I don't think Treebeard with come close to Jar Jar-ishness since his character is simply written differently. (and by a more capable writer, IMHO) ....Hmmm, however, come to think of it, Treebeard and Jar Jar serve kind of the same purpose in moving the story forward by helping to gather their own people's forces (Gungans/ Ents) to battle the bad guys. Interesting. But as I said, unless Treebeard looks bad (jerky movements, etc) or sounds silly (unlikely with John Rhys Davies at the helm) he will be safe from being labelled Jar Jarish.<P>And though Gollum has occasional kinda funny/cute lines ("Teeth! But we only has 3!" etc) I don't think he will be used to get laughs. He's far too miserable of a creature for that to happen.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:38 PM   #21
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

JenFramp has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to JenFramp
Sting

Was Gollum a comic relief in the book? No! So why would he be in the movie?
Old 12-09-2002, 04:30 PM   #22
elanor-of-lorien

Sting

I'm not sure how interested y'all are in hearing...but I was fortunate enough to see the Two Towers last week (thank goodness for radio contests, easy questions, and cell phones!). <P>I will not give any spoilers (unless you want, so pm me...)but I want to assure you that Gollum is nothing short of genius. Andy Serkis did an amazing job all around...in fact, I'd love to see him get some sort of award for his performance. There are some amusing parts, but as it has been said, they are much they same as the amusing parts in the books. In my opinion, he is the tragic character of the story. You get to see his personality struggle, his lust for and dependence upon the ring. I even had to remind myself that he wasn't real. He and JarJar cannot even be compared.<P>Treebeard and the ents were a bit harder...by nature. Talking trees. Walking trees. It's hard to capture. Again, no comedy relief here. You see their fierceness and wisdom. Very fun. <P>Where is the comedy relief? Some will be glad that it does not lie in Merry and Pippen. There are, however, quite a few laughs at Gimli's expense. <P>Hope this eases a few fears...
Old 12-09-2002, 05:58 PM   #23
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Loved Gimli!!!!!<P>You will all probably be pleased with Gollum... he's not a fav of mine, so I still didn't like him anymore seeing him on screen, but I didn't like him any less either.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 06:15 PM   #24
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

In Time magazine someone from the movie was quoted as saying that they were depicting Gollum as a 50-year-old crack addict. That doesn't sound very funny to me...<P>And then I've read a quote by Elijah in several places, in which he says that Gollum is the first CGI character to have fully emotive arc. PREMIERE magazine commented, "Read: Forget Jar Jar".