The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-03-2003, 06:23 PM   #1
Mandos
Wight

Mandos has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Swords

I love the swords that are used throughout the books. Would anyone like to discuss the History, Names, Purpose, of some of the swords?
Old 01-03-2003, 08:34 PM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I have to say I love swords too. I say one of my favorites in the books would be Glamdring. I love how Gandalf aqquired it.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 08:46 PM   #3
Edge

Sting

Does he still have Glamdring after he becomes White?

And if yall are going to talk about legendary swords, this discussion can't go on without one of the most important, Aragorn's sword. The name escapes me, but the name was changed when it was reforged, I think.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:51 PM   #4
Mandos
Wight

Sting

I will have to agree with you. I OWN GLAMDRING!! the official movie replica!! i collect swords. anyway, yes Gandlaf still has it with him.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:54 PM   #5
Mandos
Wight

Sting

Aragorns swords name was Narsil. But after it was reforged, it was changed to Anduril which means FLAME OF THE WEST
Old 01-03-2003, 10:00 PM   #6
Mandos
Wight

Pipe

Is there any other swords that yall would like to discuss?
Old 01-15-2003, 10:00 PM   #7
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

A really nice sword by Rick Barret that he calls the "orc cleaver".

While he makes mostly fantasy swords, I wouldn't call his work "wall hangers." From what I've heard and read he works high-carbon steel, heat treats and tempers for proper hardness and spring. I'm sure this sword really could cleave some orcs, and with a little wipe down and some mineral oils, hung back on the wall with not so much as a scratch.

Before you go and spend money on a sword, read this very good article. Like I’ve said before, be careful if you are going to buy a sword. Like the article says, buying a sword is like buying a car, there’s good ones, bad ones, and more used car salesmen than you can shake a stick at! Don’t buy something you will be afraid to wave around a little.

Also, Peter Jackson et al didn’t write the book, and their weapons (some of which are just plain silly in conception, i.e. the “ranger sword”) aren’t the end all. A Viking sword with some embellishment, a few runes or horse symbols, and-poof!-you have a sword of Rohan! Likewise, a Norman or Crusading sword with some similar embellishment, and you have a sword of Gondor, or if you want “sting” take a look at some Celtic leaf blades that come in all sizes. Be creative! Don’t follow the crowd… oh yeah, and be prepared to spend at least $400.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:40 PM   #8
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The Black Blade Gurthang Iron of Death forged by Eol and used by Turin to slay Glaurung i think really was the most amazing weapon in Tolkien lore.It could give off a blast of flame that sent Orcs to their deaths and it in only one slice could slay a Dragon and even Meklor feared it.And in the end it even spoke to Turin showing that it even had thought of its own.If you read about Stormbringer the Black sword of Elric they seem almost to be the same sword.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:06 AM   #9
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sting, Bilbo and Frodo's sword, you can't talk about swords of middle earth without talking about that one.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:24 AM   #10
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yep, Gurthang is the sword to own all swords. Said to slay Melkor in the Second Prophecy of Mandos. Though let's not get into the reliability of that. Wasn't it made from a fallen star?

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 05:05 AM   #11
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes it was first named Anglachel and it was made from meteoric iron that Thingol received from Eol.It was dull and worn and was reforged for Turin and was renamed Gurthang and was said by Melian to still hold the black soul that forged it(remember Eol is dead by this time after being toss off a cliff by Turgon for killing Aredhel and refusing to obey the laws of Gondolin about not leaving).
Old 01-16-2003, 05:56 AM   #12
otinurth

Sting

i'd have the Andúril of Aragorn.
though it was already forged because the Blade was once broken, it still is the best sword in the fellowship... the Elendil's sword... i also like Gandalf's Glamdring.
and oh! let's not forget Sting! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]