The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-12-2003, 07:29 PM   #1
Finwe_Isilra

Ring I don't quite understand what happens to Arwen?

Where does Elrond want Arwen to go to live her days? I don't get it. Is she going somewhere, I'm a bit confused, since I've only seen the movie.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:47 PM   #2
maiden of the Shire
Pile O'Bones

maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All, or most, of the Elves are leaving Middle Earth for the West-Valinor.
Valinor was once a part of Middle Earth in the first age of the world, it was founded by the Valar. The Valar are sort of like gods. After the rebellion of King Ar-Pharazôn of Númenor in 3319 (Second Age), Valinor and the lands of Aman were removed from the circles of the World. In short, the Elves see that thier time on Middle Earth is waning so they are leaving it to Men. If Arwen stays in Middle Earth and marries Aragorn she is essentially choosing to be mortal, as is the right of all Elrond's children since he himself had that choice-whether to be elven or mortal. He was given this choice because one of his parents was mortal, one was an elf, so the Valar gave to him and his brother the aforementioned choice. If she chooses to be mortal, she will still have long life, but will eventually die

[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: maiden of the Shire ]
Old 01-14-2003, 10:40 PM   #3
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Quote:
He was given this choice because one of his parents was mortal, one was an elf, so the Valar gave to him and his brother the aforementioned choice. If she chooses to be mortal, she will still have long life, but will eventually die
Actually the Valar are not gods but rather they like angelic beings who govern over the world of Arda...

And it was not the Valar who gave Elrond, his brother, and children their choice of choosing between being of the Elves or of Men but rather it was Eru, the Creator of ME.

The Valar cannot give or take away immortality or mortality for any being but instead it is only something that ONLY Eru can grant or ungrant as the case maybe...

[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]