The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-08-2003, 01:26 PM   #1
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Bitten by the Tolkien bug

How long have you lived in the world of Tolkien. personaly, I have loved the books since the first time my dad read my the Hobbit, when I was four. I then proceded to read the Hobbit six times in the next two years, as well as having a good stab ( for a five year old) at LOTR.

So come, on, how long have you been bitten by the Tolkien bug, and when and where did it find you?

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: eleanor_niphredil ]
Old 01-08-2003, 01:55 PM   #2
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I read the Hobbit for the first time in the fall of 2001. I was looking for a new fiction book to read, and my husband recommended it to me. After that, I went on to LotR. I'd heard about LotR before, some people in my high school said I should read it because I liked that kind of thing, but I thought it sounded boring, or corny. Now all I can do is lament [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] the years wasted in not enjoying these masterfully written books.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:09 PM   #3
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I have only been absorbed in the world of Tolkien for about a year now. I got interesed in it because of the films. I thought the movie was wonderful, and then I read the books and found that they were even more wonderful than the movies. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm . . . Well, I first read the books because I wanted to see whether or not they were really better than Harry Potter (this was last year). So, I've been a Tolkien fanatic for just a wee bit more than a year now.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:54 PM   #5
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved The Hobbit from the age of about 7. I can't remember whether I read the book first, or had the audio tapes. But I had a fantastic recording of Nicol Williamson reading the book, which I used to have instead of a bedtime story.

My father started to read LotR with me (we read it to each other out loud) when my mum went to college and left us on our own in the week. I must have been about 8 or 9, because it was just before the radio version came out. I loved that too, and taped all 13 hours of it. That was more than 20 years ago, and my tapes only just gave up the ghost, after being played constantly! I have finally replaced them with CDs. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 03:18 PM   #6
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I too read the Hobbit when I was young - around 10 years old (20 years ago). After A few readings I jumped into the LotR, but I was a slow reader and it took me forever(!) to get through them. In fact, and this is funny, I put down the Fellowship of the Ring right in the middle of it for a YEAR because I was so stressed out by the Black Riders! They scared the lembas out of me and I thought "If they are going to be around for all three books, I'm not going to read 'em!!"

Eventually I went back and finished, and have now read them all a few times more [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] In fact, it had been a few years, but after I just saw TTT (the movie) I read the four books again in less than 2 weeks! I guess you could say the bug bit again. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:02 PM   #7
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Since I was nine years old.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:02 PM   #8
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Mae govannen! Myself, I read The Hobbit for the first time when I was seven (so, nine years ago). My dad has been into Tolkien since *he* was in high school, and he read the book to me. Since then, I've been hooked. I've read The Hobbit about......40 times, at least. I tried to read LotR for the first time when I was nine, but had to give it up 'til my attention span had grown a bit more [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I actually got through Fellowship for the first time just before the movie came out (I did this on purpose, because I wanted to be prepared), and finished the Trilogy in the following month. I have now been through LotR seven times, the last time only taking me two days to finish, and am currently reading The Silmarillion. I hope to get through Unfinished Tales soon too.

Namarie!
Old 01-08-2003, 05:43 PM   #9
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

I have been into Tolkien for about a year and one month now. I first got interested in it from the FotR movie. Right after seeing it for my first time, I went and bought the book.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 06:01 PM   #10
Melime
Pile O'Bones

Melime has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've been a Tolkien fan for only about a year now. When FoTR came out in 2001 I had no intentions of going to see it...but then my dad pretty much dragged me to the movies. After I saw it the first time I was hooked, and had to get my hands on the books. From there it's history... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I absoultly fell in love with them.
Melime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 06:23 PM   #11
Sindafalathiel
Haunting Spirit

Sindafalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sindafalathiel
Sting

I've been a fan for about a month. my best friend was CONSTANTLY telling me to see the movie, so after about two months of that, I broke down and watched it. the next day, I was wearing a (silver, didn't have gold)ring on a chain to school.
"My Legions of Terror will be an equal-opportunity employer. Conversely, when it is prophesied that no man can defeat me, I will keep in mind the increasing number of non-traditional gender roles." ~The Evil Overlord List
Sindafalathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 06:27 PM   #12
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, to be exact, one year, one week, 4 days, and around 7 hours.

It was last year on Christmas Day when I opened up my first Tolkien book---The Fellowship of the Ring. (At first I only wanted it because it had Elijah Wood on the cover.) Now I am in love with Middle Earth and all things relating to Middle Earth. Oh how I love looking back on the past.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 06:48 PM   #13
The Human Of Our Time
Pile O'Bones

The Human Of Our Time has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I just started reading The Hobbit around December 21st when my friend let me borrow it. And after Christmas I bought myself a boxset with The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and I must say, I love these books. As of now, I'm on chapter five of book six in The Return of the King. I can't wait to finish it. I plan on reading these book many more times.
The Human Of Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:03 PM   #14
nuguernachil
Pile O'Bones

nuguernachil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

my 6th grade teacher made me read the hobbit and i absolutely hated it. i don't know if it was because i had to chop it up in that awful school-book-dissection way, or if i was just too young for it - i have no idea. i got the fellowship of the ring on VHS for my birthday last october, and, being really bored one day, decided to put it in (i hadn't bothered to see it in theaters). needless to say, i fell fast and hard for LOTR and spent the next 3 hrs. glued to my TV. i've seen it 4 times since then, i went to see the two towers the first weekend, and i'm on chapter 11 of the fellowship (putting the hobbit behind me... :P)
Old 01-09-2003, 03:55 PM   #15
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tar-Palantir: I used to be petrified of the Black Riders too! I avoided the Weathertop chapter for years, because it gave me nightmares. I avoided that epidode on my tapes too, they sounded far too scary. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2003, 11:27 AM   #16
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I've loved it..... ever since I was about 5 years, 10 months. I'm not going to tell the story because I already did that on another thread and I don't think I'd be able to do it again. So I've loved it..... for quite a long time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2003, 03:51 PM   #17
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

one of my earliest memories of anything is hearing The Hobbit being read aloud to me/a group. i was about 3. lotr came waaay later, altjough i had probably heard of it, but being teeny tiny, it wouldnt have been my foremost priority
Old 01-10-2003, 05:14 PM   #18
Deiagorn
Pile O'Bones

Deiagorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Deiagorn Send a message via AIM to Deiagorn
Shield

It has been just under a year. I never really liked the film either, but suddenly a few months later I fell in love with it. I started reading the book simply because I felt like I could hold an interesting conversations to other LOTR readers, and no-one else would understand!!!
Old 01-12-2003, 04:08 PM   #19
Deathless One

Sting

I first read the books two years ago and fell in love with them immeadiately. I had tried reading LotR when I was 10, but I couldn't get through it back then.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:33 PM   #20
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Hobbit since about three (through the cartoon at first), LotR since seven.