The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-29-2003, 09:35 AM   #1
lady evenstar
Pile O'Bones

lady evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting whos Mary-sue?

i dont know what that means. someone typed that to me on one of my questions.
lady evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:10 AM   #2
Aethelwine
Wight

Location: In Anórien, just outside Edoras, on a horse I "borrowed"...
Aethelwine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Greetings lady evenstar! This may be a little late, but still: enjoy being dead!

A Mary Sue isn't a 'real' character. It's a name used by fans to indicate a (female) character, that's to perfect. Do you know what fan-fiction is? I assume you do. When somebody creates a character that has everything, beauty, brains, a great voice, she get's a most wanted character and so on and so forth, she is considered to be a Mary Sue.

The male version is 'Harry Stue'.

Hope this cleared things up a bitfor you. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

NaNa!

Aethelwine.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:45 AM   #3
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Haha, Mary-Sues...
I also find when I read a hard-core Mary-Sue that the character has something to do with the writer...a kind of fantasy that the writer has placed herself in. Usually the love interest of her favourite (cough) character. Sometimes Mary-Sues can be hilariously funny, other times, very annoying. Depends on how they're written.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:55 AM   #4
Aethelwine
Wight

Location: In Anórien, just outside Edoras, on a horse I "borrowed"...
Aethelwine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, Aina, your right!
Most of the time, a Mary Sue is the way the writer would love to be. Something that is in almost everybody of us. That's were the perfect-factor comes from. For who would not want to be perfect?

Touché, Aina! I didn't think of that one!

NaNa!

Aethelwine.

[ October 29, 2003: Message edited by: Aethelwine ]
Old 10-29-2003, 01:57 PM   #5
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

I read alot of fanfiction and an idea came to me from reading this thread. What if we were to creat a list of bywords used in reviews and summaries and their meanings for the world to use. I know it would be useful for me cause I don't know everything. We could get people together to add words and their descriptions.
ex:
OC=Original Character
POV=Point of view
Slash=Pairings of the characters.
etc. etc. What think?

PS: I didn't know about Harry-Sue's, haha, I do now, thanks.

[ October 29, 2003: Message edited by: Ainaserkewen ]
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:34 PM   #6
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hello, Lady Evenstar!

"Mary-Sue" is a name to describe a certain kind of original character that is found in fanfiction. She is the way the author sub-consciously writes herself into the story. (Self-inserts of the "author falls into Middle Earth" variety are related.)It's something that most fanfiction authors do, especially when they're starting out.

Mary-Sues share certain characteristics. Because authors are living out their own dreams via their original character, they tend to make the "Mary-Sue" character as fun and interesting for themselves as they can. This makes Mary-Sue characters rather easy to spot.

Mary-Sue tends to be:
Very beautiful (or ugly except to the hero). She often has odd coloring, for example, white, silver or red hair, green or mismatched eyes (one blue, one brown, etc). She is usually tall and striking.

Fantasy Mary-Sues often have nouns for names, for example: Cat, Raven, Rowan, Neko (Cat), Kitsune (Fox), and so on.

Mary-Sue often has hidden or arcane talents. She may have precognition, the ability to cast spells or communicate with people or animals telepathically. (Wolves, cats, dragons and horses are favorite Mary-Sue companions.)

Mary-Sue is either related to a famous canon character or is his love interest -- possibly both. For example, Mary-Sue may be Legolas' long lost twin sister who is so enchanting that Aragorn dumps Arwen to marry her. Twins and bastard half-sisters are common Mary-Sues.

Mary-Sue is usually liked, admired or adored by all canon characters within seconds of meeting them. They feel some "strange attraction" to her or intuit that she is very "important" or has "latent powers". Gandalf may realize that she holds they key to saving Middle Earth, the Ringbearer, etc. Mary-Sue is the most intelligent, most sensitive, most fun person they have ever met. She also knows more about archery than Legolas, can outride Eomer, and can teach Aragorn a thing or two about swordfighting.

Mary-Sue often has a tragic past or future. Her family was killed by Orcs, she was a slave of the Easterlings, and so on. At the end of the story she may die of some illness or in battle, so that the canon characters can weep over her and vow never to love another. Their lives will never be the same without her, etc.

Why do people revile Mary-sue? It's because she's not very interesting to anyone other than the author. No one else empathizes with her the way the author does, and so, instead of identifying with her, the readers find her boring, or annoying, or both. That is not to say there aren't good, well-written "Mary-Sue" stories out there. Some of them are quite good. It's just that the majority of them aren't, so readers learn to avoid Mary-Sue stories if they can.

If someone calls your story a Mary-Sue, it doesn't mean you're a bad writer. It just means that you've started out by writing a wish-fulfilment story. That's fine. But people are more likely to read and enjoy your stories that are not Mary-sues.

You can learn more about Mary-Sue at this site:

Mary Sue Society

They have litmus tests there so you can see for yourself if your story qualifies as a Mary-sue. Their essays are also quite amusing.

Cheers!

-Lily
Old 10-29-2003, 03:49 PM   #7
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

An unreasonably perfect, cool awesome, intelligent, attractice, best-at-everything-they-do character that is always being the exception to the rules...you get the picture.

This unrelated-to-Tolkien thread will now be closed.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:14 PM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

You wouldn't mean someone like my Merisuwyniel, would you??? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote