The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2002, 04:04 PM   #1
Fair Eärendil

Question Grey Havens?

Reading The Lord of the Rings always brings me a lot of emotions, especially when I finish it. I always feel sad and a litlle nostalgic.

But I have a question about the Grey Havens I don't know if it has been discussed before. Is it the place to where Frodo and the elves go, or is it just the place where they depart from Middle Earth? if this is so, where are they going?
I just finished the Silmarillion and I think I have an idea of that place. Would that be an island that was part of Beleriand, maybe a mountain that wasn't covered with water after the flood? or maybe the land beyond Beleriand to where Eärendil sailed? I don't recall the name, Arda, Valinor, Aman? Why do you think they go to that place?
Take care...
Old 12-15-2002, 07:03 PM   #2
Tirinor
Haunting Spirit

Tirinor has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

They (the elves) are returning, or going for the first time to Valinor. And for some reason, certain people (the ring bearers for instance) can go with them.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:17 PM   #3
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

They leave from the Grey Havens (Mithlond) to go to Tol Eressëa, which is also mentioned in The Silmarillion, although the White Ship probably went to Valinor, since Gandalf was on it.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:19 PM   #4
Tirinor
Haunting Spirit

Tirinor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When Aman seperated from the world, did Tol Eressëa go with it? Also, could the inhabitants of Tol Eressëa, visit/move to Valinor? I always assumed that they were pretty much together like they were before the flight of the Noldor, but I haven't read that part in quite some time.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:45 AM   #5
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Yes, Tol Eressëa did go with Aman when the world was "bent". It was a part of the Undying Lands, accessable only to those who cpould use the "Straight Road".

It is my (possibly erroneous) understanding that the returning Noldorian exiles seattled on Tol Eressëa of their own choice, not because they were not allowed to go on to Aman. I see no reason why there should not be consatnt comings and goings between the two.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 02:38 PM   #6
Ebony
Pile O'Bones

Ebony has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not aware that the ban on the exiles was ever revoked. Considering that at least Galadriel among the Noldor with with the ship, I would assume that they went to Tol Eressea. Whether or not Gandalf or any of the others went on to Valinor, I just don't know.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:28 PM   #7
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

I'm pretty sure that at the end of Quenta Silmarillion the Noldor were invited back to the West; the only ones that remained behind were Galadriel, Elrond (who wasn't pure Noldo), and the two remaining sons of Fëanor (as well as the kindred that stayed with each of these leaders).
Old 12-17-2002, 03:11 PM   #8
Fair Eärendil

Thumbs up

Hey, thank you for clearing my mind guys. I just found something about it here in the Barrow Downs.
Take care.