The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2002, 01:03 AM   #1
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Sting Just a thought....

Tolkien and his collection of writings and such have really made a huge impact on our unique world. From street names to resturants to music to movies (and of corse let us not forget the vast accounts of readers and admirer's out there), Tolkien seems to be everywhere and on everyone's mind. Just this week I saw a bumper sticker on an old van that read "Not all who wander are lost", and my heart lept for joy in seeing that a complete stranger shared my same love for that certian whimsical tale discussed by so many. I have even passed by a sigh that had the word 'Bargin' writting on it, and had to look twice before making sure of myself that it did not say 'Baggins'.
People discuss for hours on end whether a certian name is pronounced a certian way, or whether pockets are a symbolism of something completely different than their intended practical use. And all of this is happening because of one man, one man who thought up a simple childrens tale and ended up in creating a whole new world.

I owe a great deal to this wonderful man for litterally changing my life, as well as everyone elses.
These are just my thoughts by the way, just a little something that I'v been meaning to say for a while now.
Old 09-28-2002, 03:38 AM   #2
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Nilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I feel the same way.I Think Tolkien is like the father of fantasy.I campare all the other fantasy books I have read to LOTR.I look at strangers and wonder if thay are fans.I talk to people about the books are the moveis and cant believe it if thay say thay have never read or seen than.That is a shame.It has changed the way I look at things to. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 28, 2002: Message edited by: Nilwen ]
Old 09-28-2002, 08:21 AM   #3
Hobbit maiden

Tolkien

(Please, don't kill me...)

I don't like fantasy. Well, I don't hate it, I'm just not crazy about it. But I like legends and history.
And Lord of the Rings, of course.

Lord of the Rings is a fantasy novel- but it'sw so realistic, don't you think? That is not JUST fantasy: it's a whole world... For me, it's a history. Great, great book.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2002, 12:34 PM   #4
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

Just more proof Tolkien is the Father,Even non-fantasy readers like LOTR. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2002, 10:27 AM   #5
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I saw a guy on a bus once reading Tolkien. I think is was RotK, or TTT he was reading, and even though at that time I've only seen the movie and haven't read the books then, I wanted to sit next to him. It sounds weird, but that's what I wanted to do. Seeing people read LotR makes me feel safe--I am surrounded by people who like something I like as well. Getting to meet them and talk with them is like asking how ME is doing. Asking them where they are in their reading is like asking them how the Fellowship is doing like they were there with them.

Hobbit Maiden: I won't kill you [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I myself never liked fanstasy---the covers just never appeal to me, until I discovered the early Arthurian fantasy works. They're pretty cool.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 10:37 AM   #6
Gliniel
Pile O'Bones

Gliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gliniel
Silmaril

I'm with all of you. Tolkien's works never cease to amaze me. When I first introduced my best friend to LotR about last year or so, as soon as she finished reading it she said to me , "Whatever he was on, I want some of it!" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Yeah ... that's what I'm saying. It's astounding that such a rich and detailed world can come from the mind of ONE MAN (languages, cultures, places, etc...)!
Gliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 02:13 PM   #7
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

I read all kinds of fantasy.Nothing compares to Tolkien.I dont want to sound like a fanatic,but its true.Dont get me wrong there are alot of great authors out there,nothing reads like a Tolkien book.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:17 PM   #8
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Quote:
I dont want to sound like a fanatic
Why not?
Old 09-29-2002, 02:23 PM   #9
Nenfea

Sting

i love reading Lotr because although it fantasy when i read it,think about it, or talk about it i seem to do so as if its real.its like reading history only more exciting. its just so real. [img]null[/img]
Old 09-29-2002, 02:24 PM   #10
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

I just mean that I'm not obsessed.I'm sorry to say there is more to life than LOTR.Sorry if I make any one mad.It's just a thought. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2002, 02:42 PM   #11
Kithrčna Greenarrow Legolas
Wight

Kithrčna Greenarrow Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I started reading LOTR about a year or so ago and ever scince, I look on fiction books in a new light.
Personally, I think they've made Me a better reader and in some ways, a better person.

Tolkin and Lord Of The Rings is right up there with Stinebeck and The Grapes Of Wrath, in My book [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]