Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #841
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've just got back from a long time of absence and not being able to keep up. Could I be informed of where we are in time? How many days after the court date is it?

And also, who has left the inn?

I will read a few of the most recent posts, and I will scan the others real quick, but I would like not to have to really read all of them if at all possible.

-- Folwren
Old 07-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #842
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
It is currently the morning after the court date. It will be a brief day before a couple-day time jump. Lin and Farahil are leaving this morning for Dol Amroth. Leof is in the stable with Farahil; Degas is in the courtyard with Garstan's daughter and Lin; Eodwine is just around the corner from them; Kara appears to be in the kitchen; everyone else is either still asleep or just rising, I believe, as it's just dawn now. Lai's Trystan just showed up, which might prolong and/or complicate things a little, but in a fun way, as he's an outlaw from Dol Amroth that Farahil may or may not have encountered recently. Does that help?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:42 AM   #843
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes, thank you, it does.

If this day is short, can I skip writing in it? It will take a few days, correct? And it will take less time if I do not join in. Next week, Monday morning through Friday afternoon, is my last week for working at camp. If this Day at the Hall takes that long, it would be great, because then I wouldn't fall behind at all, especially if it's not necessary that Thornden comes in at all in this part of the story.

He would, however, be out there to say goodbye, probably. If I'm not around to write that, then someone can mention that he was there, and maybe Jenny could write that part and have him say a few words. I don't care that much.

What do you all think?

-- Folwren

EDIT: Come to think of it - if Thornden is needed in help with this Trystan fellow, then I'll write. He looks like a handful and Leof is too little to manage such a handful. Also, Eodwine is wanting to say a proper goodbye to Lin, so it wouldn't be very nice to him if he had to deal with it.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #844
Laiudanama
Animated Skeleton

Laiudanama has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
If you see an 'edited by piosenniel' on your Mead Hall post, I've removed the signature from it.
Oh, sorry, I didn't realise we were meant to remove them - will do so in future.

I've made a second post, but I accept that I've made quite alot of use of the characters of Farahil and Leofric, Feanor and Firefoot: if you aren't happy with this or want me to change anything, I'd be happy to do so. Hope this is alright, anyway

Last edited by Laiudanama; 07-05-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #845
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I don't suppose Manawyth could be called in to help protect the horses, hee hee, hee, and keep down those filthy outlaws, ha ha ha...

Actually, I see the potential for an interesting conversation. Lai, our characters should have a drink together some time...
Old 07-05-2006, 03:56 PM   #846
Laiudanama
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Quote:
Come to think of it - if Thornden is needed in help with this Trystan fellow, then I'll write. He looks like a handful and Leof is too little to manage such a handful. Also, Eodwine is wanting to say a proper goodbye to Lin, so it wouldn't be very nice to him if he had to deal with it.
Oo-er. Just to establish that Trystan really isn't a bad character - he just kind of...got involved with a few rather nasty individuals...All will become clear eventually, but he's a nice guy - really!
Old 07-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #847
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Mostly all right. Leof's a tad too accepting in the last paragraph - how about instead of "grinned back, as if in relief," put "nodded slowly, as if in acceptance" or something? Other than that, it looks fine.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #848
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Farahil... I should have provided the link sooner, but I didn't really expect that anybody would need to know much about him. It may or may not matter... he's 29 years old and he's big. He's very muscular and is extremely imposing when he wants to be. He moves silently and is trained in the use of just about every weapon. They're what he loves, so he takes his time to master them. If you want the image in my head, think black panther. Sleek, dangerous, dark, silent.

It's unlikely that Trystan would have interacted with him before, though he very well might have seen him if he spends any amount of time near the water. Farahil, I expect, recognizes Trystan as a young scoundrel but as of the moment has no inclination to do anything about it. If he finds out more though, he will, and Trystan will be no match for him. The lad'll need to be quick on his feet, as Farahil is interested, if only a little. Lucky for Trys, Farahil's leaving very soon.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #849
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Is he bigger or taller than Thornden? In Thornden's profile in the Abduction in Edoras, Thornden was said to be 6'4". I met my cousin the other day after not seeing him for seven years and he's 6'4" and huge. My eyes just about popped out of my head. I'd no idea what an imposing figure that would cut. I'd seen 6 feet and 6'2", but two inches really ads a lot. . .

Anyway, I was wondering where you think Farahil stood.

-- Folwren
Old 07-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #850
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
A lot depends on build, as well. 6'4" and thin is a lot different than 6'4" and burly. My pastor (who just left ) was 6'4" but not really an imposing figure at all...
Old 07-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #851
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Farahil is smaller than Thornden but could match him easily in a bare-handed fight. Bad description, I know, but I'm preoccupied. I'll try again another time.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #852
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Firefoot: Right, yes. I understand. Thornden's somehwere in between. . .neither thin nor particular burly. He's not imposing, so to speak, but he still makes a striking figure all in all, I think. I've never thought about it too much. I should try to draw a picture. But for some reason, my men always turn out looking too femenine. My girls are pretty () but my men just don't cut it. . .

Fea: That's fine. I only wanted to know how tall he was. Farahil is far more experienced in fighting anyway, so I had little doubt that he could easily take Thornden if it came to that, but that wasn't why I asked.

-- Folwren
Old 07-06-2006, 04:36 AM   #853
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Am I wrong if I assume we're still having the same day in the hall tomorrow RL? With this new arrival and all... (Welcome, Lai, by the way... )

I see the situation is going on right now and there's nothing I'd need to add at the moment, so I could do my post tomorrow.

Fea, could you PM me Modtryth's duties and the way Saeryn would assign them as soon as possible either writing the whole assignation or giving me guidelines how Saeryn would say the things. Then I could write the post tomorrow and put it up. Then if you had any complaints you could tell me and I could just edit the post. Sounds fine?
Old 07-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #854
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
So I didn't actually need to post, and I just assumed that the girl Trys was talking to was Kara, but never mind

Just yell at me if a) I shouldn't have posted or b) I misused someone.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:41 AM   #855
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Great post, Fea. One thing only...Lin's family would give permission to court, but a handfasting is a formal betrothal, and I don't think they would give permission for that before speaking to Lin herself.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #856
Laiudanama
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Quote:
So I didn't actually need to post, and I just assumed that the girl Trys was talking to was Kara, but never mind

Just yell at me if a) I shouldn't have posted or b) I misused someone.
Haven't yet looked at the thread today, but that was what I intended - I didn't mention her name so it could be left open.

Just a quick note to say that I have my Gold Duke of Edinburgh expedition starting tomorrow - for those non-Brits, this basically means I am being cast into the wilderness that is North Lancashire for the next four days without any access to computers, phones, basic...anything...fun times! So Trys is at your disposal until probably Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning (GMT) - be kind
Old 07-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #857
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Haven't yet looked at the thread today, but that was what I intended - I didn't mention her name so it could be left open.
Good, good

Hey and good luck with the DofE, I remember that. I hope for your sake it doesn't rain, trying to put up tents in muddy ground is just not fun.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:23 PM   #858
Laiudanama
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Hmm - was going to make a post, but am rather stalled now in waiting for Saeryn to reply to Nain, and I shouldn't like to step on anyone's toes by butting in and taking her away. Unfortunately this means I won't be able to make a post until my return from the wilderness

Quote:
I hope for your sake it doesn't rain, trying to put up tents in muddy ground is just not fun
Gah. Forget just the tents and the mud, we'll have the sun to combat this time; I'm not entirely sure which is worse, to be sweaty and sunburnt, or just plain soggy. Still, there is always that saviour upon which I relied worryingly last time: sweet, sweet Nurofen...
Old 07-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #859
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

You could always put the post on here and then when Fea has replied to Form pio can put it in the right place for you?

And yes, painkillers good
Old 07-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #860
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Saeryn post finally up... sorry about the delay, Lai. Blame my boss for scheduling me at times when normal people are out having fun.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:17 PM   #861
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Since Trystan and Saeryn haven't discussed yet and this is to be after it, but I won't probably have a chance to get online 'til Tuesday, so I put this here for pio to place after Saeryn's and Trystan's discussion. (I have pmed pio.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDED TO GAME THREAD

Thinlómien's post

The morning had been a pleasant one for Modtryth. She enjoyed the new place. The new home, she corrected herself. She wondered how everything would turn out and how would their little family settle in the lifenof the eorl's hall. Cnebba at least had found his place, and was clearly enjoying the new place and the new company. Everything will settle as it will, no need to fret over that, she reached the same conclusion as always. She was confident their little family would find its place in the hall, in one way or another.

Modtryth watched the two children, Lčošern and Garmund, run to Cnebba. She had no reason to hide her smile. She turned to her husband. Stigend was smiling too. Oh, he doesn't look anxious, Modtryth remarked to herself half-seriously.

Then lady Saeryn caught her attention. The lady called Modtryth to her. She gestured Modtrth to sit opposite to herself. "Yes, my lady?" Modtryth asked. "I'm to give you your duties", Lady Saeryn answered. She looked at Modtryth thoughtfully and asked: "What kind of work you are used to do? What would you like to do?"

Modtryth didn't except the last question. Maybe it showed in her face, for Lady Saeryn smiled. "I have mostly done cleaning, cooking, looking after children and such. I'd be pleased to do it in the eorl's hall too", Modtryth answered simply.

"We have two cooks, Kara and Frodides, already, so I doubt there's need for kitchen staff", Lady Saeryn said. "We don't have very small children here so that rules out the babysitting... So I guess that leaves us with cleaning." Modtryth nodded. The work was familiar for her, and so were the words. She was about to open her mouth to tell the Lady that she was fine with her new duties and to thank her, but something in the Lady's expression made her not. There was something strange in her eyes and Modtryth could not imagine what was she thinking about.

Then lady Saeryn smiled again. There was a shrewd glint in her eyes. "But surely cleaning is not all you can do. And besides, there's not enough work for a person who only cleans. Kara and Frodides clean the kitchen and the tables in the hall and I do some cleaning myself. Have you ever done shopping for a big household?" At first Modtryth thought she had misheard the lady's words. She was offering her, a half-dunlending and a newcomer, a position of trust.

"Well, have you?" Lady Saeryn repeated her question seriously, though there was a hint of amusement in her eyes. Modtryth nodded. "Yes, my lady. I've done it twice. In the place I was born in and I worked in for many years, Lord Godhere's household in Western Wold. The second such job was in Field Marshal Laudwine's household." She didn't add that in both places she had had to work at least for months to achieve the position.

"Good", Lady Saeryn replied. "Then I can trust you with it." She looked at the dark-haired woman. Her face was serious. "Thank you, my lady. I'm honoured to receive such a duty", Modtryth replied, still wondering if it was really happening. "I won't prove untrustworthy."

"I am the one to oversee your work, both cleaning and shopping", Lady Saeryn told her. "The household doesn't need anything from the town today. I think you could start with the laundry. Come, I'll show you", she continued.

Modtryth rose to follow the Lady. She had heard only good of her, but now it was proved. Unlike so many, she managed to gain my respect in a very short time, Modtryth thought, wondering if it was good or bad.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fea, if I've mistreated Saeryn or she's un-saerynish (or too conspirational) or she has something more important to do than show Modtryth the laundry-thing, just tell me and I'll correct it.

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-12-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #862
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Nope. Perfect.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:22 PM   #863
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Can someone alert me when this has happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
Since Trystan and Saeryn haven't discussed yet and this is to be after it, but I won't probably have a chance to get online 'til Tuesday, so I put this here for pio to place after Saeryn's and Trystan's discussion.
So I can place Thinlómien's post . . .

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 07-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #864
Laiudanama
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

...and due to something 'orrible having happened to my knee that has made it swell up something naaasty, I'm back from Gold early. There goes D of E for another year. Oh, foils, foils, foils.

But at least it means I can have a post up somewhat sooner: I'll try to get a response up tonight.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:16 PM   #865
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
Can someone alert me when this has happened?
So I can place Thinlómien's post . . .
~*~ Pio
I suppose Lommy meant, that that should be put in to the thread after Saeryn and Trystan have talked - which has not yet happened.

She was thinking, that because she could herself be online only on Tuesday (RL), things would go on and there would be a need to adjust her post to a position that serves the story.

Clearly there seems to be no dire need as the game goes forwards very slowly, but if something actually happens before Tuesday (and Saeryn & Trystan have their discussion managed), then surely Lommy's post should be included on the thread there?
Old 07-09-2006, 08:05 PM   #866
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Noggie, I think that you can figure that we'll make it work one way or another.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:28 PM   #867
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Noggie, I think that you can figure that we'll make it work one way or another.
Surely. I see no problem here. Just tried to answer Pio's question.

lmp & Celuien: Let's see the renovating strategies tomorrow / the day after that (RL). I'll try to make some suggestions and Celuien should make some too. As we have an understanding, Eodwine might call us to do just that on the thread.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #868
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
As soon as Jenny posts up Linduial's answer to Eodwine and the two give each other good-bye, Eodwine will call Garstan and Stigend for a planning 'session'.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #869
Laiudanama
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Mind if Feanor and I slip Trystan into Eodwine's busy timetable at some point? Sorry to be a nuisance.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:33 PM   #870
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Let's have Saeryn take the initiative with that, okay?
Old 07-10-2006, 07:29 PM   #871
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Lai, LMP and I have discussed it and I'll take care of the situation. Eodwine won't be needed. I'll post up within the next day or so. I'm not at home again until tomorrow, so I can't guarantee a time, but it'll be soon.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:36 PM   #872
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

If you already have something prepared, Feanor, I'm sorry to upstage you but I had a brilliant idea (well I think so anyway) and will post it up post haste. It's gonna be fun for Lai, I think.... ..... wellllll.... at least I hope so....
Old 07-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #873
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Me? Prepared? Have you forgotten to whom you're communicating? I almost always work off the cuff. I've pre-written posts twice, maybe three times since Beth first convinced me to write in The White Horse forever ago. Just like college: last minute work. And I can qualify the procrastination with professional ability if you don't believe it's a good thing.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #874
Laiudanama
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Ooh, that was low. Ooh...

Fun? I'd hate to have you as a teacher, elempee Anyway, I've made a reply. That was mean...
Old 07-11-2006, 04:12 PM   #875
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I haven't laughed so hard in... ooh, this is nasty.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #876
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Okay. Garstan and children have come to say good-bye to Lin. Having given the tour of the current construction, he'll be back to discuss plans with Stigend in a moment. Hope that's okay.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:50 AM   #877
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Having given the tour of the current construction, he'll be back to discuss plans with Stigend in a moment. Hope that's okay.
To me it is. I'll try to have a post today for Stigend. Should I expect Garstan to be back at the table by then, or Eodwine? (That would be in 12 hours time from now, about)
Old 07-12-2006, 06:51 AM   #878
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
To me it is. I'll try to have a post today for Stigend. Should I expect Garstan to be back at the table by then, or Eodwine? (That would be in 12 hours time from now, about)
Well, I'll have to wait for Jenny to post to say good-bye, so Garstan will come back after that...
Old 07-12-2006, 07:47 AM   #879
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
*sigh*

Agh...busy day...and my time yesterday was cut short by the long process of filing an accident report with MP. (No injuries, minimal, localized, mostly cosmetic damage, not my fault, other guy will pay to fix my car...just took a while.)

I will try to get a post up before my lunch hour. I'm going to make it fairly brief, and set Farahil and Linduial out on their way at the end of it.

Also working on an idea for Marenil, Eodwine, & Thornden, (no kidnappings, don't worry), but I'll save that for when I have more time.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:22 AM   #880
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Double...but I wanted to make sure this was noticed:

Celuien, I've reread your post and noticed something I'd missed before. I really don't think Lin would have the ability one-handed to lift a hefty and squirmy five-year-old. If it weren't for the broken wrist...

I'm going to write my post as though Saeryn obligingly lifted Leodern up to hugging range and go from there. If that sounds good, just edit accordingly.