The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-15-2004, 02:05 AM   #41
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Hum. I've seen the movie in theatres 8 times now, curiously enough only one of which was with a true "newbie". One of the most amusing experiences though, as she sat there completely entranced, didn't ask me a single question throughout the entire movie, then we walked out and she goes, "You know, I really didn't get that".

I just stared.

The most memorable (and culminating?) time was when I saw it with my girlfriend whom I met here, about 7 months ago. Actually (now that I look), she posted about 10 posts up as "Cinderella". Both diehard fans, it was the best movie experience of my life, and rather interesting, our first date (long-distance relationship, it was the first time I had met her) seeing RotK, when we had met on a Tolkien board in the first place!

That's about my only interesting stories. Well, except the first time I saw it, I was with a carfull of friends and we got caught in a blizzard on the interstate and ended up in traffic for 4 hours, with me driving. When we pulled up beside the cop to ask what was wrong ahead (there was a wreck) he gave us quite an odd stare, two of us being in Hobbit costumes (me and another), and the rest wearing elf ears.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:07 PM   #42
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

I can imagine that look on you, Beren. I mean, hobbit...classy. *cough*therightheight*cough*

BethoHOG, I can relate - I went to see with one of my friends. She had battled her way through the books at my insistence (she tried to read them several years ago and gave up), and actually liked them. The film was greeted with...less sucess though, from her. She spent several parts of the film cringing in her seat whenever Shelob came on (I had seen it before and every time she was about to come on I was like 'Now!', which earned us some rather odd looks from others in the audience), and other parts making absolutely no attempt to stop shaking with laughter in the most inappropriate parts. For example, as you said, at the end, when Frodo and Sam are on Mount Doom.

An...experience.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:02 AM   #43
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Quote:
I can imagine that look on you, Beren. I mean, hobbit...classy. *cough*therightheight*cough*
Five inches taller than you, short-stuff.

Was your friend afraid of spiders, like, as a phobia? And did she know beforehand Shelob would be in PJ's version of RotK?
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 12:16 PM   #44
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Over a year younger and female, hobbit-boy

She is arachnaphobic, yes, and did know Shelob would be in the film - but my God, that spider was realistic! Someone has spent some serious time watching what happens if you poke a tarantula...*shudders*
Old 06-30-2004, 01:29 AM   #45
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Iw ent with my boyfrind to a midnight showing in costume. He had no idea what on earh was going on, so I spent half the movie explaing what he missed in the first two, and the other half trying to make out what I missed explaining to him. it's not as easy as, Oh, it happened this way in the book, so that's what I missed.... Oh no, I missed stuff. He spent the next few months teasing me for knowing stuff about LotR and he's saying now that I spend a lot of time on "avatar" stuff, and I keep telling him that an avatar is not posting!
Araréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #46
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
When I went for the second time (I only went twice in theaters, I swear!) with some friends one of them asked me a question. When the Eye was looking over Gogoroth for the hobbits he asked "is that a mediavel security system or something?" and I said Sort of.....
________
NEW MEXICO MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:19 AM   #47
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
I saw TROTK with a newbie. He likes fantasy and had only read the first two chapters of TFOTR.

I don't think he'll ever read the book, he 'likes the movies. He prefers movies to books mostly.
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote