The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-02-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Not so very close family bonds

After reading the thread "why did Merry & Pippin choose to be buried in Gondor," I was struck by this question: How would their kin feel about them in Gondor? I mean,they were still hobbits, they were still blood-related to the Shirefolk who never left their home?

After reading that part, I noticed this, but I kept forgetting it. Now I remembered! Actually, I thought of it because I am very close-bonded to my dad, mom, and little bro--were Merry and Pippin not that attached to their kin?
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:54 AM   #2
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think Hobbits, generally, did indeed have close family bonds. So, also Merry and Pippin. M&P had on the other hand also very close bonds with Aragorn, both as friends of Aragorn and of the people of Gondor and as loyal servants towards their King (especially Pip, of course).

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Also, they never show the hobbits being terribly hung up over their burial customs. They memories of their ancestors seem be held in geneologies and bedtime stories. We don't see Frodo or Bilbo visiting the gravesites of their parents, or even thinking about them, really. The other two hobbits of the Company chose to pass out of the world in an altogether different manner than the friends and family they left behind, and we know that Sam, at least, had VERY strong family ties.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Expanding on what JennyHallu said about hobbits not "hung up" over burials-
They were close to their families since they all waited until their spouses had passed on. It's definitely written of Sam and I'm assuming it was the same for Merry and Pippen. Also their children were grown and possibly even grandchildren were grown (I don't have my books to check exact timeline) so it's not like they left the family high and dry.
More like retirement and laid to rest where they were.

EDIT: Just saw this.

Last edited by Holbytlass; 03-04-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Holbytlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:03 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks for finding that link, Holbytlass! Since both threads discuss basically the same question, I will merge them as soon as those involved have had a chance to see this notice.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote