The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2002, 06:37 PM   #1
Road Dog22
Pile O'Bones

Road Dog22 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Road Dog22 Send a message via AIM to Road Dog22
Shield is strider recruiting zombies

in the return of the king when he goes on the paths of the dead and the dead follow r the dead zombies
Road Dog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 07:11 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Silmaril

The Dead are the spirits of the "mountain men" of the White Mountains. Before the War of the Alliance, they worshiped Sauron as a god, but when Mt. Mindoullin (sp?) was taken by Anarión they stopped their worship and
swore an oath to Gondor. However, when they refused to fight against Mordor, Isildur cursed their spirits to lie in the mountains, waiting for his Heir, so they could furfill their oath.

This is all explained in Book V. I don't blame you for missing it (I skipped over those tedious chapters, too). [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2002, 09:33 PM   #3
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I've always wondered about that. I was confused that people living in the Paths of the Dead were able to follow someone, since they would (apparently) be dead themselves, but they weren't really "dead", were they?
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 09:43 PM   #4
Anna Licumo
Haunting Spirit

Anna Licumo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anna Licumo
Sting

The spirit description makes them more like ghosts, but what I've heard of ghosts implies thier manifest cannot harm nor touch people. They must have in the War, so where they in fact zombies? Hmmm. Does anybody know the implication of ghosts in Nordic or other themes of old? Or where I might find such reseraches to attempt to find out myself?
Old 07-29-2002, 03:31 AM   #5
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dűm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Dont hold me on this, but i dont think it ever says that they ever actually toutched anything. It says that the Rangers and the Locals marched with the Dead behind, and that the dead "drove out" the Cursairs. I think that, like the Nazgul before they took form, the main weapon of the Dead Men was fear, and any actual deaths other than drowning or burning of ships was caused by the Human army.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:02 AM   #6
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dűm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

There are hundreds of legends about dangerous spirits, so I think they were able to touch something, but the MAIN weapon could have been fear.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:24 AM   #7
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Quote:
One day of light we rode, and then came the day without dawn, and still we rode on, and Ciril and Ringló we crossed; and on the third day we came to Linhir above the mouth of Gilrain. And there the men of Lamedon contested the fords with fell folk of Umbar and Harad who had sailed up the river. But defenders and foes alike gave up the battle and fled when we came, crying out that the King of the Dead was upon them. Only Angbor, Lord of Lamedon, had the heart to abide us; and Aragorn bade him gather his folk and come behind, if they dared, when the Grey Host had passed....

....There at Pelargir lay the main fleet of Umbar, fifty great ships and smaller vessels beyond count. Many of those that we pursued had reached the havens before us, and brought their fear with them; and some of the ships had put off, seeking to escape and many of the smalled craft were ablaze. But the Haradrim, being now driven to the brink, turned at bay, and they were fierce in despair; and they laughed when they looked on us, for they were a great army still.
'But Aragorn halted and cried with a great voice: "Now come! By the Black Stone I call you!" And suddenly the Shadow Host that had hung back at the last came up like a grey tide, sweeping all away before it. Faint cries I heard, and dim horns blowing, and a murmer as of countless far voices: it was like the echo of some forgotten battle in the Dark Years long ago. Pale swords were drawn; but I know not whether their blades would still bite, for the Dead needed no longer any weapon but fear. None would withstand them.
[ July 29, 2002: Message edited by: Manwe Sulimo ]
Old 07-29-2002, 09:33 AM   #8
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They seem more like wraith's than zombies. In fact very much like the Nazgul, where their ability to affect the living is through fear. And yet unlike the Nazgul because their spirit's are not bound to Sauron.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 06:50 PM   #9
Anna Licumo
Haunting Spirit

Anna Licumo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anna Licumo
Sting

Oooh, ghosts then. Thank you! However, one question: If they used fear as thier weapon, and the "bad guys" could not stand against them, but the "good guys" could at least try to stand against the Nagul, would that imply the armies against Sauron were stronger and braver of heart than his forces? Or am I just nitpicking too much?
Old 08-09-2002, 01:03 AM   #10
Shadow of Udűn
Animated Skeleton

Shadow of Udűn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
would that imply the armies against Sauron were stronger and braver of heart than his forces
I don't think so. Only the bravest of the goodies (gandalf, aragorn, Eowyn) actually fight against the Ringwraiths, and they have knowledge as a weapon i.e, they know that the ringwraiths can be overcome, or like the hobbits at weathertop, they have no choice. Look at the reaction of the ordinary soldiers of Gondor and Rohan at Minas Tirith - they flee from the Nazgul. I don't think it means that the Corsairs are less brave, they just don't know what they are fighting.
BTW, in norse mythology, ghosts can harm people (read the Saga of Grettir the Strong). Besides, I always thought of them as being more like skeletons animated by the spirits - that could still harm and be harmed, though it would take a lot to stop one i.e, crushing their bones completely, and obviously killing them would be impossible (coz they're dead).
Old 08-09-2002, 06:53 AM   #11
O'Boile
Wight

O'Boile has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always kind of thought of them as being incorporal (not sure if that is the right word/spelling), kind of like raiths, since they made no noise. It will be interesting to see how they are portrayed in the movie.
O'Boile is offline   Reply With Quote